Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

"Enjoy a Navy Grog, See the World!" Trader Vic's Travels

Pages: 1 28 replies

M

or a Mai-Tai, or even a Dr Funk's Son! No matter, the theme is the same. One could, similar to joining the USN, see a lot of this world by visiting the many Trader Vic's operations. Plus, there's no swabbing of decks or bad haircuts.

A recent excursion abroad, and a conversation with a Vic's mixologist, gots me thinking. I know, hard to believe, but it's true. It's them Trader Vic's napkins that did it. All of those foreign locales (Muscat!), those exotic ports and intriguing cities of the world. Looking at the napkins I ponder "where I've been, where I may visit." Subsequently, I wondered where other Tiki Central members visited, Vic's-wise. While traveling and Trader Vic's are two of my favorite things I have only been to a handful of locations. Other than the California spots, and dearly departed Chicago, I have only "weighed anchor" at the London Vic's. Munich is the one I'd wish to see next. Going off the pictures I've seen, it rivals, if not tops London, for decor.

So, I thought I'd throw this notion out to the Tiki central masses and see how many of these global Trader Vic's locations we've all visited. Where ya been, or even, where ya want to go...Trader Vic's wise. How many Vic's locales have TC'ers visited?

In the Navy you can see the seven seas, but do they have Crab Rangoon?!?
captain midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki 2006-01-09 13:53 ]

T

Trader Vic's Tokyo... Trader Vic's Bangkok... TV Chicago... TV Emeryville... TV San Francisco. I think that's it! Not too shabby.

P
pablus posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2006 4:05 PM

Washington DC, Emeryville, Palo Alto, Chicago, London, Atlanta...

I stood outside of a closed Beverly Hills location but that really doesn't count.

I'm surprised at how the mid-east has jumped on the Trader Vics craze... or at least I was... until I sat at the London Trader Vics and saw how many fellows were of Arab descent. It then dawned on me where the attraction came from.

London, a wellspring of Tiki. Whodathunkit?

M

Beverly Hills
London
Munich
Hamburg
Emeryville
Singapore
Tokyo
Atlanta
Chicago
Palo Alto

P
pablus posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2006 4:24 PM

AHHHHHHH! There's a Trader Vics in Singapore?!?

I was just there with a night to kill.
(slaps head repeatedly) Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

M

On 2006-01-09 16:24, pablus wrote:
AHHHHHHH! There's a Trader Vics in Singapore?!?

I was just there with a night to kill.
(slaps head repeatedly) Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

It closed a while back, so you're smarter than you thought you were...:wink:

San Francisco
Emeryville
London
Chicago (Mrs Conga Mike)
Bangkok - wierd Mai Tai with bitters, but awesome food !!
Marbella, Spain - Drove past in a tourist bus - unfortunately, they would not stop for me to have a Mai Tai !!

Here are mine, in order of my favorite incarnations:

Munich
Chicago (closed)
San Francisco (closed)
Atlanta
Portland (closed)
Emeryville
London
Vancouver (closed)
Hamburg
Duesseldorf (closed)
Beverly Hills
Berlin

On 2006-01-09 18:29, bigbrotiki wrote:

Chicago (closed)
San Francisco (closed)
Portland (closed)
Vancouver (closed)
Duesseldorf (closed)

That's it bigbrotiki, your officially banned from visiting TV's!!
Everytime you go to one, they close it down !!

Chicago & the new SF locations

On 2006-01-09 16:05, pablus wrote:
I stood outside of a closed Beverly Hills location but that really doesn't count.

Ditto, I never seem to be in the neighborhood when it's open.

V

London, Chicago, SF, Emeryville, Atlanta, Berlin, Beverly hills.

M

Y'all get around.

Mr Bali Hai is the top Vic getter thus far. Bigbro is ineligible, lost his amateur status long ago. N'yuk N'yuk! A nice assortment listed though, covering quite a few locales. I knew with the international roster of TC members, and general cosmopolitan nature of the group, there would be many locations visited. Plus, there's a lot of heavy drinkers out there! I know, I know, you're going to Vic's for Bongo soup and Crab Rangoon.

The Mid-East spots may be a bit more problematic. No one for the U.A.E.?

Al midnite...prince of the desert, if it wasn't so dusty.

No one for the U.A.E.?

My boss keeps threatening to send me to Dubai, so stay tuned...

Some very impressive lists here! Has anybody else here been to the closed New York TV that was in the lower level of the Plaza Hotel?

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2006-01-11 06:29 ]

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2006-01-11 06:30 ]

I went by there when it already had been transformed into "GAUGIN", and it was closed. The entrance hall was still very impressive, because it had the giant 40 foot outrigger canoe from the 1960s version of "Mutiny of the Bounty" along one wall, filled with fishnet float glassballs and giant clamshells.
The Plaza was the second location for TV in NY, they first were in the Savoy Hotel.

What was the story again about Donald Trump wanting to open a strip club there? If I remember correctly, it was trumped up...

Here's my list:

Beverly Hills
Emeryville
Old San Francisco (closed)
New San Francisco
Atlantis (long gone)
Congo (never existed)
British Antartic Territory (fictitious)
Key Largo, Montego (baby why don't we go)
Machu Picchu, Peru (try the llama-tidbits)
Bakersfield (aka McDonalds)
Disneyland (secret underground location, Disney Corporate denies)
Jerusalem (no spareribs :()
Werewolves of London (4th verse, 3rd stanza)

Whew! I think that's all. Here are the Starbucks locations I've been to:

Carson (Sepulveda & Delores)
Carson (Sepulveda & Vermont)
Carson (Sepulveda 1 blk so. of Vermont)
Torrance (Sepulveda & Western)
etc.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-01-12 13:04 ]

M

Congo (never existed)

Well that explains a lot! There I was, there I was...in the Congo.

Paris or Athens need a Vic's, if only because that's my next trip where's there no current Vic's. Professor midnite is set for London in mid-March. I shall be delivering a series of lectures at The London School of Economics on creative financing of the life leisure. Candid photos forthcoming, nudge nudge wink wink. Bob's your uncle!

Ahh Hoo,
midnite

On 2006-01-12 19:51, midnite_tiki wrote:

Paris or Athens need a Vic's, if only because that's my next trip where's there no current Vic's.

If you're headed to Athens, don't miss the fabulous Kona Kai at the Athens Marriott Ledra. It's a stellar example of the sadly defunct franchise. It almost seems to have the exact floor plan and detail of the original Philly masterpiece. Drinks and food are outstanding, as is their attenton to detail (I saw more Tiki related decorative decor items there, than I've seen in many US Tiki Meccas !!)

Mike, if you have any pics, post some please!

Muscat, Atlanta, Emeryville.

M

If you're headed to Athens, don't miss the fabulous Kona Kai at the Athens Marriott Ledra

Thanks, Mike. We are headed to Athens in April. I seem to recall a post some time ago about a Kona Kai there, but did not know anything about the place. I will do my best to visit. Appreciate the head's up.

Muscat, Atlanta, Emeryville.

Now that's an unusual list. Muscat? You must tell us about that one. The Mid-East Vic's interest me.

Al midnite

Ok this is an interesting thread.

Here is my list of Trader Vic's location visits over the years 1964-2007:

1. Beverly Hills, at the Beverly Hilton (My Personal Watering Hole)
  2. San Francisco (old on Cosmo Lane) - Special Emphasis on the Amazing Captains Cabin.
  3. San Francisco (New)
  4. Palo Alto
  5. Emeryville
  6. Scottsdale (old and free standing on 5th Avenue. Scene of my hottest date ever, That was the one who was lit on fire by my flaming lizard. 50% 110 Proof Green Chartreuse and 50% 151 Proof Rum - I had to buy her a new dress the next day)
  7. Scottsdale (New)
  8. Chicago (Old in the Palmer House Hilton)
  9. Seattle, Washington (old)
    10.Portland, Oregon (old)
    11.Vancouver, Canada (old and freestanding)
    12.London, UK in the Hilton
    13.Hamburg, Germany
    14.Munich, Germany
    15.Dusseldorf, West Germany (old)
    16.Tokyo, Japan
    17.Fukoaka, Japan (0ld)
    18.Taipei, Taiwan
    19.Abu Dhabi, UAE
    20.Al Ain, UAE (I rank this location as the worst Trader Vics food and service to date.)
    21.Dubai, UAE Crown Plaza (One of the best trader vics in the world with significant energy. Just the right size. Drinks made with Cuban Rum and you can still smoke Cuban Cigars while you have your flambe Steak Diane prepared tableside.)
    22.Dubai, UAE Souk Madinat (The Disney Version of Trader Vics)
    23.Atlanta, Georgia
    24.New York, New York (Old - Plaza Hotel basement - A lost treasure due to Donald Trump and his bad taste)
    25.Washington DC (old)
    26.Osaka, Japan (old)

Holy Schmoley, Mr. Menahune (sic)! I thought Sven's list was long!
You get around! Do you work for TV's?!?

Mine:
Houston (closed) (I think I'm the only one here you can say she went there?)
Atlanta
London
Chicago (closed)
Emeryville
Dallas (re-opened!)
Only driven by Beverly Hills...

Suddenly the list of which I'd been relatively proud seems very tiny indeed, compared to some of you world travelers!!
F

Hamburg (In town for EuroVespa)
Seattle (closed)
Portland (closed and miss you terribly)
Bellevue Wa
Beverly Hills
Atlanta (probably the darkest one I've been in)
Dallas Texas
Bangkok (Best Sunday Brunch in town. Weird huh)
Tokyo

New York,London,Paris,Munich
Everybody talk about pop music ...

K

Atlanta
Kansas City (closed) (only walked by)

Seems I need to start my world travels now.
Beverly Hills only :(

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. Navy Grog is my Favorite TV's drink.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-04-16 12:36 ]

G

On 2007-04-16 11:57, bigtikidude wrote:
Seems I need to start my world travels now.

I feel your pain BTDude. I feel your pain.

Myself... only Atlanta and Destin (pre-opening). BUT, Emeryville and Beverly Hills coming up in June. Woo hoo! And Destin (post-opening) likely in July or August. Repeat after me: Tiki... Puka... Puka...

M

Thought I'd bring up this old topic again. In the last couple of years I've visited a few more Trader Vic's locations. More visits were planned, but they keep closing on me. Mr Menehune is still my hero, where ever he went.

Recent stops on my personal Trader Vic's hit parade:

Scottsdale
Berlin
Munich
Atlanta
Palo Alto

Munich is my favorite for a pure classic experience. London is number one in my heart on a sentimental basis. Stateside, got to go with Atlanta. Maybe I'll see a few more next year, won't say where as I seem to be jinxing these places. Ok, I'll talk: Vegas, I have HUGE, COMPLICATED, and EXCEEDINGLY EXPENSIVE plans to visit Trader Vic's Las Vegas location.

That ought to do it!
Mr Sunshine

Pages: 1 28 replies