Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Does carving a Tiki on a living tree, cause it pain?

Pages: 1 13 replies

I honestly don't know if it does or not.
But I got to tell ya, a Tiki on a living tree(to me)is a very beautiful site.

I don't know about causing pain, but depending partially on the type of tree, it might be a good way to kill it. Woody stems (as opposed to fibrous stems like palms) have their vasucular tissue located along the outer part of the stem, under the bark. The vascular tissue carries water up from the roots, sugars and stuff down from the leaves. If you carved into the vascular tissue you might effectively cut off the water and food supply, killing the tree.

My two coconuts on the subject from an old thread:

On 2004-05-20 16:50, Humuhumu wrote:
...even if there have been trees that have survived the process of having their outer bark layers removed, it's just like skin, and it ain't just there to look pretty. Plants need that layer as a protective barrier against disease, not to mention the structural support it provides, and that in many plants the main conduction of water to other parts of the plant lie just below this surface, kind of like veins & arteries. Yes, a tree might live through it, just like if you stripped a good chunk of skin off the legs of a person, he might live through it. But it is mutilation, and not to be done lightly.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying don't be surprised when the tree falls over and conks out some unsuspecting passer-by because the tree is dead and the roots have withered.

E

No more than carving on your own leg... :wink:

Ugh - Another underfinanced hobby...
http://www.myspace.com/meadowsm

[ Edited by: em-de-em 2006-01-13 06:24 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 10:18 AM

Look up girdling....

-Gman

Here is a thread on living tikis that I had saved.

..willows will weep, so be careful in choosing your tree.....

My searching attempt failed me. Sorry to revive an old subject.

J

There is an article in Wood Carving Illustrated, Spring 2005 issue #30, that describes how to carve a wood spirit in a live tree and keep it alive.

Back issues.
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/backissues.php

I wouldn't care to do this as there is enough logs around and I wouldn't trust my skill enough to not damage a tree. I don't think I could deface a living tree. But if you are going to try, it seems this guy has it worked out. But even the article says there is always risk of killing the tree or weakening it to the point of disease.
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-14 13:05 ]

S

Palms, no. Wayne Coombs (Mai Tiki) has done a few, and some are still strong after a dozen years or more.

yes, it causes trees great pain and suffering.

Where's my cell phone??????????!!!!

J
john posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 11:39 PM

go ahead make my day!

KK

Aloha!
You know brah, all I can think about is a movie I saw back in early 90's called "clearcut" starring the native-american actor Graham Greene(I think thats his name,the bruddah from dances with wolves)...Anyway, The story was about the battle between the indian tribes in Canada and the greedy logging companies. Well, at one point Graham Greene kidnaps the president of the logging company and in one scene removes the skin from the guys leg, like the logging companies stripping the bark off of a tree. Very gruesome, painful scene but it makes sense...Trees are Living beings and I wouldnt want some bruddah carving into my trunk! But, Ive seen it done before and the tree lived but I wouldnt want the bad mana!!!

I guess youll just have to make a conscious decision about whether to carve or not...

Malama Pono!

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-14 09:38 ]

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2006-01-14 09:39 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies