Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Statues at Target

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

We were in the garden section of our local Target today, and saw they are carrying faux Tiki statues! They had at least 5 different designs. Only one was stone (cement?), and the rest were hollow plastic painted to look like wood. Except for the stone Tiki (with no price), they cost $39.99.

I assume this is part of their Spring garden inventory. If imitation is the ultimate form of flattery, then what does a hollow plastic copy of an imitation Polynesian statue mean?

it means C.R.A.P.

There is an Easter Island bust (which is not that bad) and the more common elongated tiki face. The prices are $40.00.

They did not have any of the Hawaiian tiki styles.

Thanks for the heads up, I don't think the Target here in Allentown brings in spring stuff for another month or two. Despite the unseasonally warm weather (we're above freezing), we will probably get a couple good snow storms yet this winter.

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 15, 2006 2:03 PM

Tikipedia, how tall are they? Are the cool looking?

nothin here in chicago yet...went yesterday.....

I've seen all five of them over the past two days. There are three tikis and two totems. Two of the tikis are moai and the other looks kind of like the Orchids R-3 mug.

They've also got an outdoor furniture line called Mai Tiki. It's bamboo. They've got a gazebo, a bar, barstools, chairs and fountains. Pretty cute and reasonably priced.

On 2006-01-15 14:03, Bete wrote:
Tikipedia, how tall are they? Are the cool looking?

Approximately 24 - 36 inches. Certainly worth a consideration. I have one of the totems, but I could understand if one could resist.

I was just looking at the Mai Tiki "bamboo" Fire Bowl outdoor fire pit/table on their website. I've been looking around for something just like that!

Does anyone know of any pictures of these tikis they sell? I can't find anything on the website.

The semi-hollow 36" tikis they had for sale at the
Target in Long Beach looked something like this

A Target in Pompano Beach, FL is now offering Bamoo "Tiki" bars and Bamboo covered gazebos. At first I thought my wife was joking but its true. Not fake bamboo - tikis going mainstream.

They also have this weird dash-board tiki-hula-guy thing....maybe its easier to just look at the picture:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-23/qid=1137607176/ref=sr_1_23/602-1332965-5938250?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0009S66O2

I'm not sure about this one. The traditional wigglin' wahine on a dash still looks best to me.

Oh, and check out their killer Tiki Stool.
WTF!!!

S

On 2006-01-18 15:33, Unga Bunga wrote:
WTF!!!

So that's what tiki shit looks like!

Here is my personal favorite:

Motion Detecting Tiki Bird Feeder.

What will they think of next? Perhaps little paper umbrellas in drinks? :)

I like it!

On 2006-01-17 10:37, AlohaStation wrote:
A Target in Pompano Beach, FL is now offering Bamoo "Tiki" bars and Bamboo covered gazebos. At first I thought my wife was joking but its true. Not fake bamboo - tikis going mainstream.
I really want one of those gazebos, or at least to see one.

They never made it to Houston - someone posted about them last year, but my stores had put away all their "summer" stuff (never mind that it's above 70 degrees for all but some of December, January and February!). And when I went this week, I was told, "We just put out our 'World Market' line [again!} and won't have summer items out for several more months."

Grrrrrr :x

And the online catalogue says they're now Out of Stock. :roll:

On 2006-01-18 20:23, tikipedia wrote:
Here is my personal favorite:

Motion Detecting Tiki Bird Feeder.

From the product description:

• 1-way glass lets you watch birds up close
• Motion detector alerts you when birds come to feed
• Fill pole with bird food
• Suction cups attach feeder to any window
• For ages 8 yrs. and up

Do birds usually live more than 8 years? And who's going to check their ID's?

On 2006-01-18 15:33, Unga Bunga wrote:
WTF!!!

Although not "Tiki" on the surface, the Tiki Stool was designed by Eric Pfeiffer and is "inspired by Tiki mugs and barware from the 60's."

I'm glad to see that's available at Target. Design for the masses, man!
Aloha,
:tiki:

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 12:11 PM

I went to the Target by my place today, and my Target was tiki-less, so no Target tiki at me Target. Here's a haiku about it:

No Target tikis!
I looked and looked all around!
I am tiki-less!

I saw the bird feeders at Target in Wichita, KS today...kinda neat in that a sensor causes a remote speaker to tell you a bird has landed...corny in that it says "Oooga Booga." It would be quite thematic with that snack thingie Spencers had last year.

No tikis or decorative stuff at all in the Garden sections...just the basic chemical and tool stuff...mostly that area is the world bazaar stuff at the moment.

Has anyone outside of CA seen the tiki stuff in their Targets, or is this going to be like Home Depot was last year?

I really want one of those gazebos, or at least to see one.

Formikahini, I would definately check the gazebo out in person before ordering one if you can. The local target by me in Corona, Ca. put out the whole Mai Tiki line of stuff in a big display. The gazebo was set up with the tiki bar off to the side, and with chairs and other items under the canopy.

It looked real nice as we approached, but I got to go over it closely. The canopy top is small metal poles painted to look like bamboo and it is attached to real bamboo poles that make up the base structure. Tapping on the real bamboo, it is very lightweight and to me felt a bit flimsy. I live in an area that gets occasionaly Santa Ana winds, and this past week we had wind gusts up to 45 mph. My opinion is that unless the fabric top had been removed, it would have snapped that gazebo no problem.

If winds aren't a problem for you, or you have a protected area to put it, you'll probably like it. One other thing... the pictures make it look like the bamboo is shiny, but the one I saw, had a very flat, dull finish. A coat of varnish could gloss it up and protect it I guess.

Good luck in your hunt.

[ Edited by: JimTandem 2006-01-27 14:30 ]

I gotta get the Mai Tiki Firebowl!!!! It is already spring out here in the desert so maybe the Target out here has them. I will have to check that out.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 4:50 PM

I saw the bamboo bar today. They just set up their Mai Tiki display at the local Target. I must say it's not bad. Not bad at all. It's a good sized bar with foot rest, "roof" from which you can hang puffer lamps, shelf for the booze and a small glass rack. Its no Bamboo Ben creation but for just $300 and the fact that its only a half mile away...I am very tempted! Even though I don't really need it right now.

I also think it could be easily dressed up/customized. Some palm fronds on the roof and a mask or weapon on the front of the bar and it could look pretty damn nice.

I'm with you, Kono. Particularly when you view it as an "outside only" bar. Yes, it needs masks. Tiki string lights. Thatch on the roof. Can't compare with a lovingly-made custom bar, but that's for inside, right? Very tempted. Very tempted indeed. My attitude is: bide my time until the sale.

I just called our local Target store and they have them! Thanks for sharing! I'm so excited! I hope to pass by there this evening and purchase a few for my backyard. I'll try and take a photo and post on this site.

On 2006-01-13 20:07, tikipedia wrote:
We were in the garden section of our local Target today, and saw they are carrying faux Tiki statues! They had at least 5 different designs. Only one was stone (cement?), and the rest were hollow plastic painted to look like wood. Except for the stone Tiki (with no price), they cost $39.99.

I assume this is part of their Spring garden inventory. If imitation is the ultimate form of flattery, then what does a hollow plastic copy of an imitation Polynesian statue mean?

Went to our local Target last week and was able to buy 3 large, black tikis (36" high) and three small, black tikis (26" high). They were on sale. Smaller ones regularly $39.99 and on sale for $29.99. Larger ones orginally $49.99 and on sale for $39.99. They also come in brown, but the clerk said the brown ones were sold out the same day the sale was announced. :(

It's not made of wood, but resin the clerk said. It still seems pretty sturdy and can't wait to put outside.

Thanks for posting the find on tikicentral.com. I can't afford the $100-$200 wood tikis for my backyard and I am very happy with these!

A

Hi everyone (first post)!

I saw these first hit target's ad about 2 weeks ago, and knew I needed a couple for the side yard which has a walkway to the backyard. Figured it would be a nice addition, and have been in to each of the 2 targets a total of 6 or 7 times, and never have I seen the brown ones, just the black one once. They say they sell them faster than they can get them in it seems.

I can't find them online, either. I just hope I don't miss out on them. I am planning on a couple of 'real' tiki statues from palm tree charlie, these would be perfect for the side.

T

Check this out. Someone is selling one of those Target tikis and claiming its from the 60s and made by Oceanic Arts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-FOOT-TALL-VINTAGE-TIKI-BAR-TIKI-POLE_W0QQitemZ7756733875QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is very, very LOW. I feel sorry for the winning bidder.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Unbelievable, that $40 Target tiki just went for $92 + $24 s/h. Should I contact the winning bidder and let them know that they got scammed. Or forget about it and let them think they got a great deal on a vintage Oceanic Arts original?

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2006-04-10 20:49 ]

E

Tell the winner of the auction--otherwise the seller can just make up whatever for any auction without any consequences. Not right. I suppose it's possible that the seller really is naive about where it came from, but I have to wonder...

Now back to the fun...that Tiki Bird Feeder made me laugh so hard! Here's what you do: buy one. Get your guests liquored up at the Tiki Bar and then show them your new bird feeder. They will be buzzed and marvel at such Tiki magnificence...ha ha.

Wonder how long until they clearance it? I'd love to snap a photo of some birds drinking mai tais at that Tiki Bar! I have miniature mugs that I could adhere to the table top for them, but I'd hate to be accused of enabling birds to drink rum.

Those of you interested in the Mai Tiki Bamboo Gazebo from Target, be careful because there is a serious design flaw.

Someone mentioned that those weren't really bamboo but were metal painted to look like bamboo. I can confirm those are metal poles.

We were shopping at Target and looking at this gazebo, my 3 year old daughter was sitting in the love seat that was part of the display and I bumped the cart while moving it out of the aisle into an Ottoman that was sticking out from under the gazebo and that bumped against the side of the gazebo, which caused the pole (one of the horizontal ones near the top) to fall out and onto my daughter's head. We filed an incident report. Apparently, there's nothing holding those poles in. Even the manager was surprised to see that there was nothing to hold the pole in.

So be careful if you have one of these, make sure that those poles are secured.

T

We assembled the gazebo the other weekend - and let me tell you, those poles are in there! Once everything is put together they are held firmly in place. I think that the in store assembly might have been a bit slap dash. Also, when it's in your yard, it's designed to be anchored to the ground/deck by bolts for added stability.

Thanks for the warning anyhow.

tikisuz, I'm going to be buying one soon, and I was wondering, did you use a deck, the ground, or another foundation to put yours on?

I'm wondering if I'll need to lay down a cement foundation first, since I don't have a deck.

Thanks!

On 2006-04-10 18:35, TikiPhil wrote:
Unbelievable, that $40 Target tiki just went for $92 + $24 s/h. Should I contact the winning bidder and let them know that they got scammed. Or forget about it and let them think they got a great deal on a vintage Oceanic Arts original?

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2006-04-10 20:49 ]

..the buyer cleverly left himself an out, if he/she is in fact lying...at no point does he directly admit the false info, just claims it was what HE was told......if you call him out on it, he will merely claim that "that is what he was told when he bought it at auction" and that he was only telling potential buyers what he was told....making it out to look like the seller himself was duped at auction by recieving false info.

buyer beware!! the number one rule of ebay is simply: "Know thy tiki history"!!! unfortunately, folks that are new to tiki may not yet be aware of the resources available to them or have not firmly familiarized themselves with tiki history before jumping on ebay and getting all starry-eyed over tiki stuff.......sucks, but we've all been there....once I overpayed dearly for a set of salt shakers that I found in a store the following week and realized it was not vintage but a new item.....DOHHHHH!!!

T

Well, I have a concrete patio, so we sort of just have it on that until we figure out how to attach it to that. I am not sure that we will anchor it to anything, as it seems pretty solid. I have a very ungraceful large dog who has walked into it (similar, I think, to a 3 year old in pure destructive power)and it hasn't budged. You could just use the spikes to anchor it into the lawn/dirt - I would just coat the bottom of the bamboo parts (the 4 corner supports) with something to block moisture as they say that excess moisture will change the lovely color to a very non-tiki grey (eww).

It is very easy to put up and really does go together fast. You won't regret it. I have the tiki bar set up in it, just waiting for summer....or less rain.

TT

So, I was at this HUGE warehouse sale this last weekend and what did I see? The same $49.99 resin Tiki from Target selling for $275.00--and it was cracked. I told the woman the info. and she said with a frown that she would match Target's price. I said no thanks. Some people!

On 2006-01-17 09:49, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
The semi-hollow 36" tikis they had for sale at the
Target in Long Beach looked something like this

Does anyone like this tiki? I was in the garden section of my local Target and almost purchased it because of the relatively low price of $50.

However, after seeing Crazy Al on the cover of Tiki Magazine, I had second thoughts and hesitated.

K

These have arrived in Texas. On sale this week for $40.00.

H

These are on sale this week at Target for $39.99.

TT

I have to say, the black tiki at Target, which I found for $19.99, isn't that bad. I want to get another one and attach a piece of wood (painted black)to the tops of the tikis. Instant deck table. I'll love just about anything that is only $20.

I saw a different tiki at Target than the ones shown on this thread. Might even be the black one just mentioned. It looked almost exactly like the ones being sold at Spencer Gifts last summer, but it was much much darker (possibly black) and much hard glossier. Which was a much better look than the Spencer Gift's Tiki.

I'm considering buying one of these cheapos to serve as my "granite tiki" at my home bar. I'll buy that spray can granite paint and won't be afraid of making an ugly mess because they're so cheap.

Unless anyone out there can fashion a real granite tiki for me for under $50. :wink:

PICKED UP TWO THIS PAST WEEKEND, $39.99 EACH + 20% OFF BECAUSE ONE HAD A TINY CHIP OUT OF IT. LOOKES ALOT BETTER OUT IN THE YARD THEN IN THE PICTURES..

We are in the process of duplicating our hand carved tikis in a resin similar to Target's but more detailed carvings. In addition we are adding solar lights to some, and have natural wood looking and painted versions. They look so real it is hard to tell they are not wood. Does anyone have ideas for marketing these?...we're the small guys not Target! We currently have a website in the works, are booking shows (with hand carved and synthetic), and will use ebay. I was just wondering what the market would be for the synthetic ones. Target is $40-50, ours would be $60-$90 retail. Thanks!

HL

Here's photos of all the tiki I found at my local Target.

The one on the right is indeed a cousin of the 2005 Spencer's Gifts tiki, but in black instead of brown.

E

I liked the black Target Tiki and have him outside. Initially he had a green spotlight illuminating him but it went kaput so I just tried red earlier tonight. Here he is with the new color, then I worked a little photoshop magic on him. Now he's the mystical Ask-The-Red-Tiki-A-Question Guru.

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies