Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Web design question...

Pages: 1 9 replies

Has anyone ever used Microsoft Front Page to design a web site? If so, can you tell me how the hell to use it? I just got a copy and I can't make heads nor tails of it.

T

I have used it and wish I could help you, but I am at a bit of a loss as well. It's one of the worst pieces of bloat-ware I've ever used. They lost me when it required me to click through about 7 obscure menus and mysterious sub-menus just to put a border around a picture - and it's not possible to do more than one pic at a time or apply them globally to a document (though this is probably possible after a 6 month training course). Lame lame lame lame lame!

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot 2006-01-16 18:43 ]

Hi Fink!
I use Dreamweaver so I can't give you any verbal advice only. You will probably want something like this .

K

I made a decent website using Yahoo Site Builder. It's great for beginners. It has it's limitations mind you, but all in all it's very good for simple sights. The more I played with it the easier it was to use. It requires ZERO html scrpit knowledge or anyhting technical. It's just click - click - click - website.

Here's what I came up with: http://jacksdowntowndiner.com/

Mmmm, waffles!

G

Just realized this thread is 2 months old, so by now you probably already know this, but Microsoft FrontPage is a real dog (and this coming from a Microsoft developer). Dreamweaver is very good for designing pages, but beyond that, I can't really help you. I'm a code guy myself. No WYSIWYG editors for me.

I did get FrontPage. I installed it. I stared at it. I stared some more. Then I uninstalled it.

I just got a Macromedia set that includes Dreamweaver, Contribute, and a couple of other web programs. I haven't even looked at them yet, but I'm hoping to find some success with them.

Thanks everybody. Any advice is always welcome.

H
Helz posted on Sun, Mar 19, 2006 5:59 AM

I've got to go with Gator on this one, do it in the raw.

Back in college (7-8 years ago), I worked at the software shop on campus and used FrontPage to build their website. It was ok back then, but that was just as Dreamweaver was getting started. So when I went to build my personal and tiki websites a couple of years ago, I decided to skip the whole mess and design it completely in Notepad, all hand coded HTML. And I'm not much of a computer guy at all. It took me a couple of weekends to learn a few tricks, but I've gotten many compliments on it. And with the web as a resource, and maybe one good book, it's way cheaper than Dreamweaver. (But Dreamweaver can do LOTS of things I can't, I'm assuming.)

I maintain a quilt shop web site, and used to do all the html by hand(and proud of it - at the time); but when you have over 100 pages and several sections, it gets a little ridiculous, so I switched to Dreamweaver.

The templates are very handy for changing multiple pages instantly. I downloaded trial copies of both Adobe GoLive and Macromedia Dreamweaver. Go Live just didn't work the way I wanted it to, I found Dreamweaver to be more intuitive.

I enjoy doing updates, and feel excited at the prospect of adding an entire new section, or changing 50 pages at a time, instead of feeling daunted by the task.

G

On 2006-03-19 16:55, Tikiwahine wrote:
The templates are very handy for changing multiple pages instantly.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on that one. Templates are a godsend. My thing is, I'm just not a page designer. I do all the coding in the backend, database, etc and any coding that needs done on the front end. I leave the page design to others who are more artistically inclined. They typically design the page in Photoshop and then cut it up and convert it to HTML using something like Dreamweaver or Go Live. That's when I get hold of it and make it come alive. These are typically for large data-driven web applications.

[ Edited by: gatorrob 2013-02-18 10:36 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies