Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Welcome...to Forbidden Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies

M

Ever dream about the perfect tiki lounge?

About the way you’d want it to feel? How it would look?

What kind of drinks would it have?

Would you dream about….

-An interior designed by Bamboo Ben in a classic yet totally unique style?

-A signature Tiki designed by Danny “Tiki Diablo” Gallardo?

-Custom mugs designed by Tiki Diablo and produced by Tiki Farm?

-A lush tropical lanai designed by Jungle Trader?

-A jukebox full of classic Hawaiian, lounge, and exotica music?

-An extensive menu of tropical libations designed by martiki, incorporating both classic tropical drinks and contemporary mixology, perfectly balanced and using only fresh squeezed seasonal juices and premium ingredients?

-Custom graphics and goodies featuring the designs of Chongolio, Hanford Lemoore, Humuhumu and more?

-The creative and artistic contributions of dozens of other members of Tiki Central to give it the true ohana feeling?

Wake up. You’re not dreaming.

It gives us great pleasure to welcome you to:

Located in the heart of Alameda, California, Forbidden Island is the brainchild of Michael “Conga Mike” Thanos, Manny Thanos, and Martin “martiki” Cate. Opening in April 2006, prepare for a tiki adventure like no other.

We can’t tell you how excited we are about this. We look forward to working with all of you, sharing this process with the ohana, and making Forbidden Island a reality. There is so much to do and say, and so many surprises in store for everyone that we’ll simply close right here and direct you to our beautiful website from the one and only Humuhumu:

http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

Please give it a visit and sign up on the mailing list for all the news, updates, and special offers.

The adventure begins!!

A thousand mahalos to everyone here,

Michael, Manny & Martin

Urrrgghhh, drooooool, homina homina homina, slobber......

(Excitement, folks!)

V

Woaw, sounds amazing. Does that mean you're leaving your job at the Trader Vic's Martin ??

Congratulations

Wow, I'd heard that Mike & Mano were doing a tiki bar in Alameda, but Martin's involvement is a pleasant surprise. Very exciting news, indeed. You guys couldn't do all this before we had a kid, huh??? :wink:

Only one problem... everyone at TC will come expecting a discount!

All I can do is echo the above comments, with an additional WOW!
This is all very exciting!

I wish you the best of luck, and hope I'm able to stop in for a visit and a drink when you're open.

so let me get this straight.

michael, mano, martin, and michelle all are behind the development of the forbidden island?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

So the Tiki gods are finally smiling upon me.
That is some really great news.
You couldn't get that "cast of characters" for a Hollywood movie.

T

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

They know what I'm after,

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

If it's tiki you want they've got a lot for you,
Bamboo Ben, fresh juice, tiki mugs too

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

We are beyond excited. We're ready for it to be open now! It was a great night when Martiki came over to our place to visit a short time ago and let us in on the secret, and it was an honor when he asked for our help in developing the graphics and website. I think it's been very hard for Martin, Conga Mike and Mano to keep such an exciting secret, congratulations and the heartiest best of all luck to them now that they get to move forward full steam! The many tikiphiles in Alameda are lucky ducks. We're planning on spending enough time there to become honorary Alameda citizens.

3062.1 miles from me-- (*#&@ This state sucks....

I look forward to the pictures, though!

How exciting! Now I don't feel quite so bad that I never got to see you in action at Trader Vic's.

I forgot to ask: Does this mean you will be the primary bartender, Martiki, or are you only putting the menu together?

On 2006-01-17 10:36, tikifish wrote:
Only one problem... everyone at TC will come expecting a discount!

Not a problem, how about 1% for every 1,000 miles you had to travel to get there?

It's been SOOOOOO hard keeping such an incredible secret, especially as of late, when rumors have started circulating and I had to all but deny them !!
Folks, this place is going to be incredible. We are so excited about establishing the first ever Tiki Bar in Alameda! MAno and myself are especially excited about having the genius that is Martiki aboard for this project...
We intend Forbidden Island to be a bar that all the TC Ohana will call home, while sipping on the intoxicating fruits of Tiki-past and Tiki-future!!
A special thanks to Humuhumu and Hanford for their incredible work getting the website and designs up and running in such little time.
Here's to the future folks...
Mahalo and Aloha !!!

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-01-17 11:09 ]

[ Edited by: martiki - Added our beautiful faces - 2006-01-17 11:16 ]

Can't wait to see the results...thanks for psoting
Ran

P

What GREAT news, congratulations !!!

M

On 2006-01-17 11:00, Tiki-bot wrote:
I forgot to ask: Does this mean you will be the primary bartender, Martiki, or are you only putting the menu together?

No, Mike, Mano & I are all owners and I will be the manager. Rest assured that the bartenders will be top of their class and will know precisely what to do.

I'm stoked about this. Do people still say "stoked"?

Wow - I'd better start donating to the highway patrol retirement fund now to help me get back to the south bay after the many great evenings I hope to enjoy there w/ my tiki pals.
Congratulations to all 3 of you and Martin thanks for the fine beverage the other night.

T

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but according to MapQuest this is

Total Est. Time: 2 minutes Total Est. Distance: 0.47 miles

From my office.

I think I'll go walk by now!

MT

This is such fantastic news! And to think, how fortunate it is that it will be so close to where I live! Looks like I'd better get the guest bedroom in order (and see if I can get my home bar finished as well).

On 2006-01-17 10:45, Humuhumu wrote:
We are beyond excited. We're ready for it to be open now!

Tell me about it!

The many tikiphiles in Alameda are lucky ducks.

Indeed!

We're planning on spending enough time there to become honorary Alameda citizens.

You're gonna have to learn the Alameda secret handshake. That, and re-learn how to pronounce Versailles and Buena Vista. Or just end up moving here. :wink:

thats cool im so excited

T

Ok...that's very cool. A 10 minute walk from my desk to the front door.

Great location! Can't wait to see what you guys do with the place.

zazzzz!!!

i HOPE I'm not jumping the gun a little bit, but the reason that the SF Crawl was pushed back to summer this year is to work on a plan to visit the new tiki places in the SF area plus the old faves. SOOO, the powers that be needed MUCH more time to plan the event, and I am here to announce that this years SF Crawl will be TEN STRAIGHT DAYS to fit in all the tiki exisiting in the SF area!!!

Just kidding! :)

Congratulations indeed!! That is great news. Too bad it is so far from LA or I would visit before or after the Tiki Oasis this year. Oh, well it'll have to wait till a San Francisco trip. Good luck on you venture!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

RAZZ!!! as founder of the "SAVE LINCOLN'S ADDRESS" commitee, I will fight this chance tooth and rusty nail!

Alameda was already Tiki Island once Otto and Baby Doe moved there, then Monica Tiki Goddess and I moved in downstairs from them, plus my pal Eddie Muller (Noir City) lives on the island and has his own backyard tiki bar, plus...IT'S AN ISLAND!
And it's staggering distance from the Thrill-Tiki Von Stroheim/Viharo Pad! Now I'll have a reason to actually leave my house!

WARNING: Alameda cops are like Fairfax cops (home of Vise Grip's) - not much to do. My wife actually got stopped recently for riding her bike through a crosswalk. That's how bored they are (which is good, really, compared to Oakland where you could ride your bike through crosswalks all day and they wouldn't notice unless you shot up a few pedestrians while you were at it, and even then....). Not to throw a wet blanket on the excitement, but as a resident, I feel it's my duty to warn you: don't drive over 25MPH (I mean like not even 30) before or after you hit the Webster Tube or the Park St. bridge (the bar is pretty much in between.)Otherwise, this is pure perfection. Congrats, kids, Otto and I look forward to helping out with the promotions and maybe hosting a few events.

M

What kind of drinks would it have?

I will go to Alameda! (especially if there's a Puka Punch involved)

Harry S. Midnite (or was that MacArthur?)

ps Something seemed fishy last night, and it wasn't just that Bong Bongo soup flashback nightmare I had.

pps where's Alameda?

P
Pyro posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2006 12:36 PM

Sounds great, too bad I live on the other side of the country.

LOL! I think this'll finally get folks to the East Bay, EH???

Mai Tai, you got that right about the guest room...snortle. Somehow I think we'll all be spending much more time in Alameda...

AquaZ is right about Alameda cops, though. A friend of mine got stopped once for going...I kid you not...26 mph! Sheesh. But just be careful and you'll be fine--I've never had a problem and I've bar-hopped in Alameda many times. Just act like it's 1952 and all will be well.

Pretty funny about the Crawl, Mr. S. You almost had me going there for a second!

I'm ZOOOOOOOOOOO happy about this! Congrats to you all!!!

XOX tikivixen

Hey, Will, are you going to be inviting any "friends" to the grand opening? If so, I'll leave my valuables at home!

:wink:

Seriously, I did a GIS for "Forbidden Island" and the secret plans for 3M's place appeared:

Do you really need the parrot?

A

Wow, the SF bay area must be in the lead for most new bonafide tiki places. Seemed like a few years ago we were leading the destruction trend (Lilo, Tiburon Tommies, etc.), but now it's a horse of a different ballgame! It is with the utmost selfishness that I wish you all many years of unparalleled financial success!

-Randy

..i'm flyin' out for the opening of this one!!! nice work guys!!

Passionate Authentic Polynesian Tiki Bar. WOHH! Dis is gonna be Outta dis whorled.!

On 2006-01-17 12:45, Tiki-bot wrote:
Hey, Will, are you going to be inviting any "friends" to the grand opening? If so, I'll leave my valuables at home!

Yea, I'm telling Otto to make sure to BRING HIS CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Mike and Martin might wanna get a 300 pound bouncer nicknamed KONG for the door, checking the cards on all cameras in and out....if you can't identity any of the photos to him, you get strung up in the back patio like a tiki pinata for all the angry drunks to take a whack at! Could add a whole new dimension to these aloha events!!

M

What a dream come true for you guys. CONGRATULATIONS!!! We can't wait to see your work in progress.

On 2006-01-17 10:42, thejab wrote:
Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

If it's tiki you want they've got a lot for you,
Bamboo Ben, fresh juice, tiki mugs too

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

Martiki, Mano, and Mike!

Hey your not callin' the three M's a bunch of Dickies are you? :wink:

Way to go fellas. Now I can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us.

Chongolio

8T

CONGRATULATIONS GENTS! Those of us who cannot be there when you open due to the Coon tiki carving event will just have to raise a group toast to you long distance!

A

Rats, according to Mapquest it's Total Est. Time: 43 hours, 39 minutes Total Est. Distance: 2929.59 miles. Guess I'll miss the opening...sigh...

But it will be AWESOME for all you local folks! Rock on 3M's!

(You wouldn't have any need for a resident archaeologist, would you? hehe)

amiotiki

M

i am thirsty!

I need booze. Especially rum. Dark rum. Preferably in a Mai Tai. NOW.

I am so excited about this! I've talked extensively with Martin and Mike about Forbidden Island and I'm convinced this is going to be the place to be in the Bay Area. I can't wait! Congratulations to Martin, Mike, and Manny!

Yeah, but will it be wireless? :lol:
Hey the site looks way way way cool!! I really like how the graphics fade in from black and remain sort of dark. Very mysterious, just like a tiki bar should.

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Lost-Isle Trading Post
Barefoot bloggin'

Congratulations Fellas!
Can't wait to see & hear more about the new digs.
Aloha,
:tiki:

looks awesome

good luck and all who sail in her

if only my outrigger canoe could make the crossing from our little island to yours...

On 2006-01-17 20:32, Chongolio wrote:
Yeah, but will it be wireless? :lol:

Chongolio presents a very good idea. At the very least there should be one available computer that is hooked up to Tiki Central. Just make sure it has a spill/vomit proof keyboard.

I must admit this whole Forbidden Island venture sounds great. The only mistake is that it is not within stumbling distance of my home.

CONGA-GRATULATIONS!!!

Wish you all the best with this, sounds amazing!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies