Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Welcome...to Forbidden Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies

That is just like some kind of ugly ol caterpillar turning into a beeyootiful Butterfly but with better tasting pollen.

Chongolio

Oh what a night! I was so fortunate to be in town on the TCers preview night at the Forbidden Island and meet so many TCers and check out the hard work that the guys have put into creating a sensational tiki meeting place and I sampled a number of drinks (I can remember that one had coconut and macadamia in it and and the others were real nice!) I have posted a couple of my photos taken on that night - Thanks to Mr Smiley for driving myself and friends to the night and taking us to Trader Vics on the way over. Great to meet Otto in person and have a chat about all things tiki in Australia

Hope to drop in for cocktails when I get over to the states again.

Great pics everybody... I can't wait till my next visit to Nor Cal!

T

Tallywacker:

Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (2)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller
Hurricane
Don's Dacquiri
Banana Mamacow
Boo Loo

All superb!

G

That first set of before and after pics should be framed and on the wall somewhere in the bar. What an amazing transformation!

T

Last night was a nice uncrowded (but fairly busy) night. Several big shots (executives, chefs) from Trader Vic's came in! They must have liked it because they stayed a while. Plenty of German was spoken. Prost!

newest tally:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (3)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller
Hurricane
Don's Dacquiri
Banana Mamacow
Boo Loo
Mystery Bowl (thanks tikicleen and drunkenhat!)
Royal Hawaiian
Island Mai Tai (pretty good as a pineapple tropical drink but I prefer the classic)
Fog Cutter
Chamborlada (need a visit to the dentist after this one, but it was delicious)

M

On 2006-05-01 10:44, thejab wrote:
Last night was a nice uncrowded (but fairly busy) night. Several big shots (executives, chefs) from Trader Vic's came in! They must have liked it because they stayed a while. Plenty of German was spoken. Prost!

Verrry Interrresting! A couple of us were talking the othe night wondering if FI is on Trader Vics radar--apparently it is! I hope the powers that can be will encourage the new (like Vegas) Trader Vics to keep up the tiki decor!

On 2006-05-01 12:18, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2006-05-01 10:44, thejab wrote:

Verrry Interrresting! A couple of us were talking the othe night wondering if FI is on Trader Vics radar--apparently it is! I hope the powers that can be will encourage the new (like Vegas) Trader Vics to keep up the tiki decor!

Or better yet, a Forbidden Island for Vegas too!!

More Tiki Bars!!!

T

4 more drinks to go!

Drink tally after last night:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (3)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller
Hurricane
Don's Dacquiri
Banana Mamacow
Boo Loo
Royal Hawaiian
Island Mai Tai (pretty good as a pineapple tropical drink but I prefer the classic)
Fog Cutter
Spindrift
Mango Dacquiri
Leilani Volcano

T

Aloha from the FI,
Congratulations to "The Jab" aka Dean,local Island Boy, for being the first to complete the tour through the menu of thirty eight drinks at the newly opened Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge. It took "The Jab" ten days to complete this regime of libations. His last task was to drink the infamous Scorpion Bowl, which as most of us have experienced, has a wicked sting and is usually shared with others as a communal drink. Okole Maluna to "The Jab" for his auspicious endeavor.

A warning to travelers to Forbidden Island......The Alameda Tube(tunnel) will be closed on May 8th(Monday),9th(Tuesday),and 10th(Wednesday) from 10 PM until 4AM. To leave the Island after 10 PM, proceed from FI, turn right down Lincoln Avenue to Park Street and turn left. Cross over the Park Street Bridge into Oakland and follow the signs to 880.

This epistle was written with the aid of one Monkeypod, one Sidewinder Fang and one Coconut Kalaloo. Much thanks to Jungle Jim, Mixecologist extraordinaire.
Nitey night,
Tikiboy

T
thejab posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 9:22 AM

Final tally:
Neptune's Garden
China Clipper (3)
Forbidden Island
Coronado Luau Special
Hawaii Kai Treasure
Krakatoa
Sidewinder's Fang
Coconut Kallaloo
Zombie
Monkeypod
The Combover
Saturn
Captain's Grog (2)
Navy Grog
Pirate Grog
Classic Mai Tai
Suffering Bastard
Missionary's Downfall
La Floridita Dacquiri
Painkiller
Hurricane
Don's Dacquiri
Banana Mamacow
Boo Loo
Royal Hawaiian
Fog Cutter
Spindrift
Mango Dacquiri
Leilani Volcano
Dacquiri
Fugu (for 2 - me and myself)
Guava Dacquiri
Scorpion Bowl (shared w/almost everyone)

Done!

Favorites: all of 'em! I don't like narrowing it down like that because sometimes I'm in the mood for a strong drink, sometimes for a tart drink, sometimes for a sweeter drink. But, I really loved the China Clipper, Monkeypod, Sidewinder's Fang, Combover, Captain's Grog, Krakatoa, Painkiller, Mango Dacquiri, Zombie, and Royal Hawaiian.

Now I need to taste all the rums. I already started last night with the Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum (a great rum).

Thanks Martiki, Conga Mike, Mano, Sonya, Thayer, and Jungle Jim, and all the folks at Forbidden Island that I've met and drank with! See you in a couple of weeks as I'm off to Memphis for the Ponderosa Stomp!

M

The Jab's scorpion bowl!

See more images of the bar here;
http://www.yelp.com/biz/A0n5zp4aNFrIQ3rdjkxxLA

M

I now know why Forbidden Island is closed on Mondays-it has NOTHING to do with giving Martiki and the employees a break, the real reason is to give us local customers (and our livers) a break! :)

T

On 2006-05-09 14:12, mrsmiley wrote:
I now know why Forbidden Island is closed on Mondays-it has NOTHING to do with giving Martiki and the employees a break, the real reason is to give us local customers (and our livers) a break! :)

i'm having a great time here in memphis. the music has been phenomenal - pedal steel master from the texas playboys herb remington made me cry last night - and there's the barbeque, ooowee! but i miss forbidden island like the dickens! i would love to live here in memphis but without forbidden island? fergettit! my liver would be getting a rest but george dickel won't give me a break!

golly i love you forbidden island!

M

Mahalo for the kind words, el jabbo!

I'd like everyone to join me in welcoming the newest member of Team Forbidden, our new bartender Chris! Chris has a lot of excellent years of bartending experience and comes to us with a true passion for mixology. Chris will be lending a hand on Sundays and Tuesdays, and will eventually cover Wednesdays and TC night so ol' Jim can finally get a break. Come on by and say hello!

Here's my only picture of Chris so far, which is, I suppose, appropriate:

M

While I'm here, I'll throw up a couple of random pix I've got:

Big trouble

Check out Kahaka's sweet ride!

Dig the stick!

People you're VERY likely to meet at FI.

The big night- #38!

Just the one straw, then.

Victory tastes so sweet.

I protest! There just aren't enough photos of me!!

:wink:

~T

T

Tomorrow is my birthday and we're going to celebrate by going to FI, but I have two questions -- my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him? We're planning to go late afternoon/early evening, just for an hour or so. He's really cute... Also, as I am breastfeeding, are there good low/no alcohol drinks? BTW, I grew up in Alameda and I am really looking forward to seeing the change from Lincoln's Address!

On 2006-05-18 21:44, TikiKini wrote:
my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him?

Yes, but not until he's 21.

M

Tomorrow is my birthday and we're going to celebrate by going to FI, but I have two questions -- my son is only a week old and I'm not ready to leave him behind -- is FI the kind of place I could bring him? We're planning to go late afternoon/early evening, just for an hour or so. He's really cute... Also, as I am breastfeeding, are there good low/no alcohol drinks? BTW, I grew up in Alameda and I am really looking forward to seeing the change from Lincoln's Address!

Thanks for you interest! Unfortunately, the ABC is quite strict on this- as many mai tais as I'm sure your son was planning on drinking, he won't be able to come, I'm afraid.

We've got lots of non-alcoholic options- ask our great bartenders for some suggestions!

Although Forbidden Island has tasty snacks to eat, it does not have a full kitchen and it is not a restaurant. Since it is classified as a bar, no one under 21 is allowed. I do hope your birthday is a blast. --smiley

On 2006-05-19 11:15, martiki wrote:

Thanks for you interest! Unfortunately, the ABC is quite strict on this- as many mai tais as I'm sure your son was planning on drinking, he won't be able to come, I'm afraid.

We've got lots of non-alcoholic options- ask our great bartenders for some suggestions!

T

Well, I guess I can't sneak him in under the table, so I will venture out without him -- thanks for the heads up -- I wouldn't want to get any one in trouble. Looking forward to a quick birthday celebration very soon!

K

Are the mugs in yet?? I like mugs.

well lookie at the picture headline at the san francisco magazine website!

http://www.sanfran.com/

i do believe that i see some thirsty tcer's at forbidden island...

S

Hey!! COOOOOL Tikicleen!!!
It's you and Drunken Hat and The Jab and Mr. Smiley, right????
OOOOHweeeeeee, I gotta git myself down there sooooooon.
I'm missin' out on all the gooooooooood stuff! (yummy drinks, and fabulous company!)
Pea

On 2006-05-24 18:15, KAHAKA wrote:
Are the mugs in yet?? I like mugs.

I was there this last weekend. I spoke to Martiki, and he said that the mugs had just got on the ship from China. By the time they arrive in LA, clear customs, and arrive in the Bay Area, it could be another month.

Forbidden Island is great, if you haven't gone there yet, folks! I had the Classic Mai Tai, Macadamia Nut Chi Chi, and the Saturn. Tasty stuff!!!

M

On 2006-05-24 19:53, tikicleen wrote:
well lookie at the picture headline at the san francisco magazine website!

http://www.sanfran.com/

i do believe that i see some thirsty tcer's at forbidden island...

zazz!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies