Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Safety Thread...Read pg. 3

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 6:09 AM

Mods and carvers,
After my near pinky loss i have been thinking about the need for a safety thread. I think if we all started compiling our lists of safety procedures and equipment we could pool them together on one master post, lock it and sticky it at the top for all to read easily and often in the creating Tiki forum.

So I will start with some ideas:

After my close encounter and after i became aware that i was OK, my wife who witnessed it, said to me, " you know, i would not have known where to take you if you had been hurt." I looked at her and told her that i wouldn't have known where to tell her to take me. Scary thought. We talked about it for a while and now we know.
So, when using power tools try and have someone else around in case you need help, and know how and which place to go in the event you need emergency care . Of course 911 is always a first option, but when you know you don't need an ambulance ride, knowing the easiest route will help.

Make sure there is a phone around to use. We try and keep a phone in our working area and cell phones make that a little easier. The last thing you want to do is fumble around for a phone when your hand is bleeding.

Read the instructions to your new power tool. If your like me, the first thing you do, it tear the new tool out of the box, plug it in and try it out...often the tools come from the factory with loose blades, and fasteners not tight. I save all my manuals in a file ans keep them in the shop for quick reference if i need them, and have started using a high-liter pen as i read the manuals to highlight the more important features. It forces me to read the manual now.

These are just a few things to get us started. Please add anything you see fit. Lets keep us safe.

A big Mahalo to all for this.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-06-09 05:09 ]

A First Aid kit is a must!
Betadine is a great antiseptic
I recently cut my finger with a chisel and it came in very useful.
At first I jokingly asked my partner Anjy to pass me the surgical needle and thread so i could sew it up myself, she nearly passed out at the thought.

J

I think this thread is a great idea.

One of things my company does is when there is an accident or "near miss" they send an email out telling what happened, why it happened, and what could have been done to prevent it. We could use this thread to do the same sort of thing. There are a lot of people out there trying carving for the first time. Some of the tools are very dangerous and this thread would be very helpful in preventing accidents. I know I did some very wrong and unsafe actions when I started (probably still do only I don't know better).

I'm sure we have all done something stupid and afterward thought "I was lucky, another quarter inch and..." We can all reflect on and learn from each others near misses.

We could also share ideas on how to make the carving area safe, such as how to keep electric cords from getting wrapped around your feet and potentially causing a trip hazard.

Just my thoughts
JP

Wow! I swear to God I was just thinking about a thread like this on Saturday (when I almost caught a piece of 2x8 in the head via the table saw). Of course, I don't know what to say. I was wearing my goggles anyway. Always wear your goggles!

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 7:22 AM

JP, great idea about making the working area safer...i am always tripping on power cords...any easy, good ideas on how to mount them out of the way?

More on the goggles...AlohaStation mentioned he was sanding this weekend and got an incredible ammount of dust in his eyes...Even thought he was wearing safety glasses. The difference is glasses only protect the front, goggles wrap around the side.

This is great feedback already...keep it up.....

#1 on everyone's list has got to be EYE PROTECTION. I need bifocals (which I don't yet have) and I'm guilty of removing my glasses for close-in carving work. BIG MISTAKE. If you find that safety goggles don't give you a clean/clear enough picture, consider wrap-around shooting glasses available at sports stores. Although they cost more, they have optical-quality plastic lenses and are easy to keep clean.

That's my $.02

M

[ Edited by: makutiki 2006-04-13 15:13 ]

I've been using a flip-down clear plastic full face mask made by ..I think the company is AOP.
It not only saves the eyes, but limits the dust getting into my other orifices even when I'm also using a respirator. I've previously ruined 2 pairs of glasses, now with pitted lenses, because of flying wood chips.
Oh, and don't chain saw in your slippahs.

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2006-01-18 08:42 ]

On 2006-01-18 08:41, HelloTiki wrote:
I've been using a flip-down clear plastic full face mask made by ..I think the company is AOP.

I was just going to suggest this. Goggles don't work very well if you wear glasses.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-18 08:59 ]

I agree with everything so far. Also don't forget to at the very least get a box of the cheap foam throw away ear plugs. Hearing loss is a cumulative thing that you just don't notice until it creeps up on ya. I work around loud machinery at my work and wear em all the time. Some home power tools can be pretty darn loud. Save the ol' ears too.

Best thing that works for me are two things:

1. concetrate on what you are doing at ALL times.
  2. If you are tired,STOP working or your work and more importantly you will suffer.

wear a cartridge respirator if you are sanding or cutting and creating particulates. paper masks don't work. you can get them at Home Depot for about 12 bucks.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 10:16 AM

Hey guys,

I think this thread is a great idea. Over the years I have taken some major hits and had some serious surgical reconstruction, although most were non-carving related. Anyway, I need all my parts so I try to protect them every way I can. The folks who saw me carve at the Tiki Jam saw that I am very serious about my safety.

When I carve with the chainsaw I wear tall steel toe boots, jeans, Kevlar wrap around chaps, heavy leather gloves with chain stop material, a long sleeve shirt, safety glasses, ear protection, and a face screen/shield.

When I'm using a grinder or other rotating nasties, I always wear a cartridge respirator in addition to much of the safety gear above. I also wear the respirator when using power sanders.

It's a good idea to keep a first aid kit out in the garage or workshop so that if you do take a hit, you don't have to go find it inside...somewhere. Plus, your spouse would probably get real pissed if you squirted blood all over everything inside.

Last but not least, I always make sure my wife or a neighbor knows that I am chainsaw carving and either they stop by or I check in with them periodically.

I also recommend marrying an Emergency Room Doctor like I did. Having a trauma doc at home is a big plus for a chainsaw carver! :)

-Gman

Be aware of, not only the tools you are using, but also what you are carving. Wood and sawdust burn - make sure you electric cords are in good shape. Plus sawdust has a reputation of self cumbustion, so make sure you dispose of sawdust quickly and elfficiently.

The type of wood you are carving has an effect on many aspects of health. Eye protection is only cause for concern. Breathing sawdust is another - always wear a mask! Certain woods can cause serious damage to lungs and sinuses. Also many exotic species can also cause rashes from direct skin contact - learned that the hard way.

From the book of "Dum and Dummer", chapter: Learning The Hard Way While Not Paying Attention:

Do not check the temp of your hot melt glue gun by squeezing it out onto your fingers.

Do not test aerosol foam insulation's cure rate by sticking your fingers in it.

LavaLounger
slow on the uptake

MD

I agree with G-man on all the chainsaw safety. Chaps and boots are a MUST. Hearing and eye protection all the time.
Keep all guards in place, I took one off of my grinder for better depth while smoothing out a tiki's chin, ended up shooting the grinder through my glove, across my knuckles and across the yard.
Cost me a days of carving time cause I couldn't use my hand. And I was trying to do it faster.
Tikis love blood......try not to donate.

I think that it is great that you guys have started this thread. I do occupational safety for a living so this is my bread and butter. I would agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far.

The only one I would comment on is the respirator issue: the paper (or similar material) masks will work for most cutting applications if they are rated as N95. They have to be properly fitted to your face though. I actually prefer to use a cartridge respirator but that is my personal preference due to comfort. Also, if you do use a respirator take care of it; clean it after use and store it in a ziplock bag. If your cartridges start to get clogged replace them. If you are working with hazardous solvents, paint, etc. make sure that you have the right kind of cartridge. A combination cartridge that filters particulates as well as organic vapors will work for most of what you are doing.

When working with rotating power tools it is best not to wear gloves or loose fitting clothing. They can get caught in the tool and pull you into it, or the other way around.

Do not remove the guards from your power tools. They were put there for a reason. Table saws also use a kick back guard. I highly recommend keeping it on the saw. Some people remove it when working with easily damaged materials but you run the risk of getting a board in the gut.

I can't say enough about eye protection. What you use could pretty much be up to you as a matter of comfort. Goggles are best but they tend to fog and be uncomfortable. I use close fitting wrap around glasses. Faceshields are also great.

When using chemicals you also need to make sure that you wear gloves that are compatible with the chemical. Rubber surgical gloves are not compatible with all commonly used chemicals. Nitrile is compatible with most things but is more easily torn. Here's a good guide to picking gloves: http://www.ansellpro.com/specware/guide.asp

Sorry this was long post. Stay safe.

Oh yeah, none if this stuff should be considered adequate for determining the specific needs for you. You gotta do some work yourself.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 1:34 PM

Hey guys,

I ditch the safety glasses when using a grinder or another tool that sprays dust everywhere and use my motocross goggles. They work the best for me as they don't fog as bad, have a great seal around my face, and the elastic band fits more comfortably around my ears with my hearing protection on. The dang glasses hurt my ears. I'm sure ski goggles would do the same deal. If I use glasses, fine dust mixes with my sweat on the inside of the lenses and blinds me.

-Gman

ST

Not a bad suggestion Loki. The only disadvantage is that those type of goggles are not impact rated. Of course if you are using them to protect from dust or other light particles it shouldn't matter too much.

On 2006-01-19 08:00, LavaLounger wrote:

Do not test aerosol foam insulation's cure rate by sticking your fingers in it.

LavaLounger
slow on the uptake

HA! That foam insulation is a motha to get off. I was working with that stuff building a lava looking water fountain in my tiki bar this last fall. Needless to say, I also tested the drying foam cure rate with my finger.

tj

Just a thought. For me, carving or building things happens pretty far from the actual house. Because of that I make sure I have a phone with me. I try and put it nearby on a table or whatever ( I'm guessing it would be hard to pull out of my pocket with my fingers or hand injured). I love this thread and seeing people focus on safety.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 8:14 AM

Surf Tiki,
The advise on not wearing gloves while using rotating tools puts me in a conundrum. The glove saved me, but after it happened, i started thinking how lucky i was that the glove didnt get wrapped into the rotating wheel, just the thought made me cringe...what would be your advise on this? Wear gloves that fit tighter around the fingers?

Another lesson:
Wear boots or shoes at all times. When using chisels, they like to fall off the work benches. Instinct will kick in and you might try and grab it before it hits the ground. Bad idea, just let them fall. A sharp chisel will plunge deep into flesh. Feet are often targets for sharp chisels.

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-01-20 11:37 ]

I know the truth of what you all are preaching all too well.

Feb 2005
Tablesaw- No Kickback Guard
I was wearing gloves
I was tired

Severed the ligament and chipped the bone. The nerves were amazingly intact but it no longer bends the way it should.

stupid, stupid, stupid.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-01-20 10:43 ]

Tough call on the glove Loki. My gut says that you got lucky that the glove saved your finger instead of wrecking it. We only encourage people to use gloves (even the tight fitting ones) when working with hand tools.

If you watch "American Choppers" there was an episode where one of the employees was wearing Mechanix gloves and got his hand wrapped up into a drill press when the bit caught the gloves. It was not pretty.

NOTE: Our machinists sometime wear thin nitrile gloves when working. I do not consider these a hazard as they tend to tear very easily and would not result in pulling you into the tool. However, they do not offer much in the way of protection.

J

Here are a couple of my stupid things.

About 15 years ago I was cutting Plexiglas with a Skilsaw without safety glasses. Since I was using the wrong blade for the material the Plexiglas shattered. I received two pieces of the fragments in my left pupil. These had be surgically removed while I was awake to watch the doctor dig at my eyeball. The good news is I completely and fully recovered. I shudder to to think of the other possibilities.

1. I ALWAYS wear my safety glasses now, I have several pair so one is always within easy reach.
  2. I was using the wrong saw to cut this material. Use the correct tools.

The other was recent. I was holding a piece in my hand and doing some free hand work with a die grinder with a Kutzall bit. This aggressive bit dug into the wood and took a walk across the piece and over the back of my hand. It left a nice bruise and hundreds of little tears in my skin. Again I was fortunate as everything was shallow and superficial. Be sure to think of where the tool will want to go if it catches and keep your hands (other body parts) out of the way.

Think safe.
JP

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 9:16 AM

I am bumping this one last time to get any last ideas before i compile all the info on one post. so if you have any other tips, safety concerns please post.

T

I'm a novice carver, but not a novice with tools in general. I'm pretty safe usually, especially with scary, ominous power tools, such as an angle grinder with a chain saw blade on it.

I just recently bought one. Never used it before. This thing is DANGEROUS to say the least. I cannot emphasize DANGEROUS enough in this type face.

I ripped it out of the box and fired it up, (without a blade on it, and without reading the directions, of course). Ok, that worked - nothing flew off or anything. Then I realized that the shaft-nut could have come of or something, so I set the tool down, and read the instructions. This thing spins pretty fast.

It says in the instructions that one should NEVER attach a chain saw blade to the tool. So I attached the chain saw blade to the tool, and tightened everything up real nice, and I couldn't see the harm in at least trying it out.

I got out a scrap piece of wood and clamped 'er down, and fired up the angle grinder and went into the wood. Real nice! Just ate it up! My hand got a little irritated by the flow of wood chips from the blade directly to my hand, so I thought I should wear gloves, but after reading this thread, I see that gloves are probably a bad idea.

Then I put the tool down again to contemplate what I had just seen. If that were skin or bone, it would have been catastrophic!

So I went to show a buddy this bad-ass tool. After plunging into the test article, he reached over and unplugged the grinder exclaiming that he feared for his life after seeing what it could do. I gave no thought to the fact that he had just unplugged it, and that the grinder does NOT have a momentary switch on it. Once it's turned on, it stays on: no finger control required. That's a bad design wether I'm using a chain saw or regular grinding wheel.

I didn't think of checking the switch the next time I plugged it in, and off it went! Across the bench, down to the floor, spinning at 14,000 RPMs and grinding up everything in sight. Luckily my curious son wasn't holding the tool or I wasn't holding it improperly (I wasn't holding it at all - but that's a whole nother level of stupidity).

I'm going to buy a momentary-floor-switch that the tool plugs into so I have to be standing on the switch before it goes again. I was really lucky to learn this lesson without pain or death or other serious injury.

Now I know why they said to NOT, NEVER, EVER hook up a chain saw to it. The lawyers made them say that so they wouldn't be liable. Do other angle grinders have momentary switches? Maybe I just bought the wrong kind.

TikiGap

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 11:04 AM

Oh, that is a frightening story...my grinder has a switch that can be pushed up to lock it on. I don't have a paddle switch. During my close encounter, when i dropped the grinder, it was still buzzing away...

ST

Loki,

When you put it all together into a single post I would include the thread on wood toxicity as well.

I still find it hard to talk about, but, last year while sanding with my angle grinder, it skipped off the wood and landed in my crotch area. needless to say I was in shock, I fully expected my willie was laying on the ground or somewhere in my pants leg. I ran into the house expecting the massive flow of blood to begin, wondering how I was going to explain this to the 911 operator, and my wife. luckily everything was intact, and I was only bruised. the crotch of my pants was sliced open, but tangled and stopped the sanding disc.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2006 12:41 PM

Please take a moment to read through these important safety tips. Even if you have been carving for decades, it’s always a good idea to take a refresher course and jump start the ‘ole gray matter.

Wear the proper clothing.
•Loose clothing, dangling jewelry and long hair don’t belong in a wood shop. Make sure to tie up long hair.
•Dress comfortably but wear clothing that fits close to your body so clothing does not get caught or wrapped in moving machinery.
•Gloves are a good idea to wear for many projects; however, when using rotating power tools, it is a good idea not to wear them as they can easily become tangled into a spinning blade. The exception would be for chainsaw carving and gloves with self binding material should be worn.

Always wear shoes.
•The workshop is usually full of sharp items that can drop onto you feet.
•Chisels easily fall off work benches and can cause nasty cuts on the top of feet or plunge deep into your hand if you try and catch it.
•Chainsaw carvers should wear steel toe or reinforced boots.

Safety Glasses.
•Probably the most important safety rule out there.
•It only takes a few seconds to put them on.
•Keep safety glasses on at all times, even when working close up with small tools.
•Make sure they are ANSI approved and cover enough of your eyes for the task at hand.
•Many carvers wear regular glasses, so goggles or flip down face shields may be an appropriate alternative.
•When sanding, goggles may offer better protection for your eyes to keep dust out.
•Flip down clear plastic full face masks are another option when using high speed tools such as chainsaws and grinders.

Watch and Listen to your tools.
•Read and understand your instruction manuals before ever trying out a new tool. Many times tools are shipped without blades properly tightened and guards not installed.
•When using your tools make a mental note of how it sounds while operating under normal conditions.
•Know when something sounds loose or when a motor is working under stress.
•Turn off and unplug the tool before any maintenance is done. Always turn off and unplug any electric tool when you are finished.
•Fix the problem as soon as possible. Often times we forget about a tool with a problem and leave it until next time we need it, and forget it had a problem.
•Don’t take safety guards off and discontinue using tools with broken guards. They are there for a reason.
•Use the correct tool for the job. Certain blades are made for certain types of cutting and using the wrong blade for the wrong medium may cause damage to the project and damage to the user.

Escape Plan.
•Have a plan in case of an emergency. Tell someone you are going to be working with carving tools, chainsaws etc. and have them check in with you from time to time.
•If an accident occurs and 911 is not necessary, know the route to the nearest emergency care center.
•Have a phone handy in the workshop if you need to make an emergency call.

First Aid Kit
•Make sure your first aid kit is in an easily accessible place and always stocked with the necessary items. If you use something, replace it as soon as possible.
•Stock it with antiseptics, sterile gauze and band aids.

Ear plugs
•Like safety glasses this is an easy one to forget but easy to use.
•Inexpensive foam plugs or plugs that have a cord to wrap around your neck when not being used are good choices.
•Hearing loss is a cumulative issue. You don’t realize damage is being done until it’s too late.

Breath Easy
•Dust masks and respirators should be used, especially when sanding and using chemicals such as stains and urethanes. Many wood varieties contain volatile chemicals when in dust form and may cause respiratory problems and skin rashes.
•Make sure the dust mask you buy is rated for the work you are doing. Cheap masks may not block enough of the bad stuff. Make sure the mask is rated at least N95.

Chainsaw carving safety equipment
Take the time to properly equip yourself. Chainsaw accidents happen violently and quickly. Always be prepared.
•Steel toe boots
•Jeans
•Kevlar wrap around chaps
•Heavy leather gloves with chain stop material
•Safety glasses
•Ear protection
•Face screen/shield

Never handle more than one chisel in your hand at a time. Some carvers use a kevlar glove on their less dominate hand in case the chisel slips on the wood.

Use your Brain
•Concentrate on what your task.
•Know where the tool is on the wood and where it will go.
•Avoid distractions when working.
•Keep your eyes on the project and tools.
•If you get tired. STOP. Not only will your work suffer, but you may suffer when fatigue sets in.

Links
Wood Toxicity

Tiki Jam 2

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-03-08 07:08 ]

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-03-08 07:12 ]

T

Hello,

I don't carve but I am in the Workers' Comp business so I see a lot of hand injuries as well as some truly odd "accidents".

I have a few things to add:

1. Don't forget about your hair!!! I know it sounds a bit odd but some of you carvers have long hair. Just like loose clothing believe it or not hair can get caught up in whirling spinning things quite easily. Long loose hair is a no-no in most machine shops for a reason.

2. Those tool bench skipping tools are another thing that causes injuries... Not moving is not off!!! Unplugged for electric tools is the only real off!! I like the idea of an on demand switch for power but I have seen way too many fingers cut by forgetting to Shut Down the Machine before the hand goes in to fix the problem!!! Much like trying to catch a chisel, if your brain doesn't perceive moving parts it's very easy to stick your hand in. It doesn't snow where most of you are but here when it's winter our Emergency rooms are full of Snow Blower injuries people stick their fingers in the chute... & you get the point... So if it the tool locks up or jams unplug it don't try to fix it until it's really off!!!

3. I don't know if they are even still made but they used to make a nice steel gauntlet glove for food service workers to prevent cut hands. If they still exist they could possibly work for your off hand for those tool skipping injuries. As I understood it they were thin and flexible and could be covered by a Nitrile glove.

Sorry couldn't resist... & just as a post script Walmart (I know they are evil) carries a pretty good line of Steel Toe shoes and boots that are very reasonably priced.

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2006-02-04 06:17 ]

I'm with Danny about working tired, or too drunk, or stoned. Not a good idea. Another rule is one chisel in one hand, never handle two at a time, ever. I wear a kevlar glove on my left hand a lot now. Also, keep super glue, alcohol, and bandaids around. I know, alcohol, but if you're a tiki carver after a while anyway you probably have a pain threshhold like a boxer. Superglue will close a cut really quick intil you can get further attention.... D. Basement Kahuna- Recipient of Purple Tiki with four extra awards...

R

Thanks to everyone for the input and extra thanks to Loki for taking the time to re-write everything.

The only thing I would add is that I always make sure to clean up and unplug any power tools I have out. Even if I am just running in to get a drink. I always lock my tool box too. The reason for this is that I have small curios children around and would never forgive my self if something happened to one of them.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-02-04 14:19 ]

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 2:13 PM

The reason for this is that I have small curios little ones around and would never forgive my self if something happened to one of them.

what? like hummels? ;-D

L
Loki posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 8:53 AM

bump

On 2006-02-03 12:41, Loki wrote:

Safety Glasses.
•Probably the most important safety rule out there.
•It only takes a few seconds to put them on.
•Keep safety glasses on at all times, even when working close up with small tools.
•Make sure they are ANSI approved and cover enough of your eyes for the task at hand.
•Many carvers wear regular glasses, so goggles or flip down face shields may be an appropriate alternative.
•When sanding, goggles may offer better protection for your eyes to keep dust out.
•Flip down clear plastic full face masks are another option when using high speed tools such as chainsaws and grinders.

Something to add about safety glasses: replace'em when they get scratched up. You don't have to buy new ones if you just get one scratch, but if you can only see what you're working on if you hold your head just so it's time for new glasses.

Well prepared thread.

Funny how the brain works... even before an accident happens and you know you're going to hurt yourself, your hands continue to do the thing that will hurt you...

I obtained one of my Purple Tikis two years ago after a run in with the angle grinder...

Never plug it in while cradling it in your arms...

B

Loki, this is a Much needed thread and I hope everyone reads it and adds a little if they can. Even if you don't follow all the well known safety rules, at least being aware of them helps.
I am probably the Worst offender since I have been carving probably longer than anyone around, but I still have all my fingers and toes. But Don't do as I do, do as I say and everyone Read this thread. Thanks Loki.

*On 2006-03-15 10:44, Lake Surfer wrote:*Never plug it in while cradling it in your arms...

I literally jumped in my chair when I read that. But from the looks of your arm today, it could have been a LOT worse!

Any specific product recommendations for a cartridge respirator....for sanding ie particulate matter and basic painting/varnishing etc??

L
Loki posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 5:01 AM

Any mask that is rated N95 should be fine for sanding and varnishing. You dont need to get one of the big double respirators for that kind of work.

P

well, there's a lot of good info here. most of it is related to large carving. i had a little accident while doing a small carving so i thought i'd add to this.

having a small vice to hold pieces 4" - 18" is a really good idea. if you're going to hold the piece in one hand and carve with the other, whether a fixed tool or power tool, put a glove on your holding hand.

if you're going to carve anything small in your lap with a blade, use a piece of thick, tooling leather as an apron. do it on a board if you want. those little blades are sharp and can cut quick as a wink. they bite into flesh deep.

carve smart. carve "s" mart.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Apr 12, 2006 4:00 PM

and....if you are carving pieces smaller than 14" and using a chainsaw....don't hold them with your feet like I do.

-Gman

Sorry to bump this but I thought it would fit here. I just picked up a new repirator (dual cartridge type) and I was wondering when do you know to replace the filters??

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 5:08 AM

bump

B

How could I forget this!

T

And don't put chisels point side up in your pockets. Right danny?

Pages: 1 2 94 replies