Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Baltimore Tiki Find

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

No, its not as exciting as finding a tiki bar but I went to a shop in Hamden in Baltimore City and found a shop that sell Tiki Farm mugs!!! In Baltimore!!! The store is called "In Watermelon Sugar" and they had the Sventiki mug as well as a bunch of other newer mugs. I talked to the owner Leslie and asked her if she checked out Munktiki she said she hadn't. I recommended that she get some mugs from them! Anyway, this may seem minor in other parts of the country/world but to me it was a real joy to see the Tiki Farm mugs in tiki-less Maryland!

Johntiki :drink:

That's Great! Of course this happens after I leave Baltimore. Actually, I have found a store in of all places Blacksburg Virginia that sells mugs and small totems from Tiki Farm. Glad to here that Baltimore is coming around.

T

Where exactly is this place. Would be nice to do shopping for tiki stuff with a real person present. Been doing all my stuff online. Not that that's bad. Just have to wait a week or two, and sometimes you just want it now!

T

Wow this is big news! I'm only a couple hours north and it gives me hope that the Eastsiiiiiieeede is starting to come around.

I would love to know where this shop is!

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Jun 17, 2002 9:49 AM

IN Watermelon Sugar sits at the corner of Chestnut and West 36th street, sometimes referred to as "The Avenue" in Hampden. Leslie hasn't yet looked at the Munktiki mugs, because she doesn't have computer access. Baltimore is no stranger to Kitsch, and "The Avenue" has several shops the specialize in this form. For a truly Baltimore/Hampden/Kitsch experience, stop by the neighborhood around CHristmas, when the "Miracle on 34th street," is lite. It is an amazing and unique visual treat.

We picked up 2 mugs yesterday, before wandering down to Atomic Books to glance at the Shag-books they had on sale.

I'm amazed that there are so many tikiphiles in Baltimore - I thought I was the only one in the state that had an interest in all thing tiki - if only we had a tiki bar in MD we could try and arrange a gathering...

Just Cool,
John
:drink:

T

Went to In watermelon Sugar this weekend. Also suggested Munktiki to her. She said Shag has a dinnerware set comming out.

M

Just a side note. Richard Braughtigan (I probably misspelled his name) wrote the novel
"In Watermellon Sugar" 30 some years ago. A real hippy fantasy/eutopia thing that was a fun read long ago. He also wrote "Trout Fishing in America" with similar themes. The author, unfortunately, became depressed and commtitted suicide a few years ago.

M
Mattio posted on Mon, Jul 8, 2002 7:29 PM

On 2002-07-08 06:03, Turbogod wrote:
Shag has a dinnerware set comming out.

Thats going to be soo cool but I bet it will be hard to get :(

I got a mailing from tiki-farm and they announced this..

Speaking of SHAG, we're in glaze approval/box layout finalization for the forthcoming, highly anticipated "SHAG: THE DECANTERS" series. The series includes a giant Moai decanter, 4 skull shots, 4 moai/skull swizzle sticks in a swanky box designed by Shag with all of the pieces being nested in a faux swanky velvet liner!

....another impossible to get hold of shag series soon to be avlible on ebay.

Pages: 1 9 replies