Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Sealing Fresh Cut Palms; Neccessary or Not?

Pages: 1 2 replies

Hi!
A neighbor down the street decided that, for some God-awful reason, he didn't want his tall, beautiful 40-year old Palm tree "cluttering up" his Desert Landscaping (rocks, weeds, and dirt). So he killed the poor creature; cut it down and left the pieces on the curb. But it WILL live again! As Tiki's, anyway! I managed to snag 3 5'-6' sections before the industrial trash collectors showed up. GAWD, those things weigh about a Gazillion pounds!
Anyway, I've been poking around the carving post here to see if I need to seal the ends, and can't really find a definitive answer, so I'd like all of your opinions. Being in Vegas with it's desert atmo, should I seal the ends to slow down the drying process? Is it necessary, or not?
Thanks In Advance!
Lee

p.s. Any good books out there on "How To Learn To Carve?"

B

Hey TikiLee, Welcome to TC.
You should not have to seal the palm trunks at all and depending on what kind of palms they are, you can just jump right in and start carving.If it is a Queen or Royal Palm, you will want to remove the stringy center. Those palms have a bark that is very smoothe, looking almost like cement.
Go thru the "Carving Post" at the top of the "Creating Tiki" forum and you will find more instructions than you will be able to follow in one year.
Happy carving and don't forget to post pictures when you start carving.

H

If the buggers are still wet and heavy, hollow them out on the top & bottom at least. Use a router bit on a drill or chainsaw (It may gum up the saw a bit). But they will be much more manageable. Most of my guys are hollowed out palms, otherwise I couldn't maneuver them.
Party on!

Pages: 1 2 replies