Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

No foolin': event at Trader Vic's CHICAGO, this Tues, February 7, 2006!

Pages: 1 1 replies

T

NOTE:
Do not reply here, use the following thread instead:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18155&forum=4&3

Whaaaaaa?

Yes, you heard this correctly!

I got a phone call from the head of marketing for Harry Caray's yesterday.

There is going to be a Trader Vic's event this coming Tuesday, February 7, 2006 in Chicago!

Here's the deal:

The Harry Caray's venture is going to happen.
They are investing in a new Trader Vic's in Chicago, and want to have it open before 2007.

In order to keep the Trader Vic's torches burning in the windy city, the current Harry Caray's restaurant is going to serve the original Trader Vic's mai tai (and a few other menu items), for a limited time only, until the new TVs is built.

I asked my contact specifically, and she assured me that they would be following the 1944 mai tai recipe to a 't'.

Hans Richter (worldwide CEO of Trader Vic's) is going to be in Chicago on Tuesday afternoon for a special event / ceremony that will announce the new Trader Vic's to the media, and serve up the first mai tai in Chicago for five whole weeks (believe me folks, it has seemed like an eternity ALREADY).

There will be an article about the event in the Tribune tomorrow (Friday).

Thre are only two caveats here:

The event is at Harry Caray's on Tuesday... at NOON (12:30, more precisely).
I know this counts a lot of you out, but anyone who can make it down there for lunch, let's try to represent.

And the other is my general trepidation (and yes, disdain) for sports bars in general. We are going to have to trust in the TV's head honchos to make sure that the new Chicago TV's is 100% like a Trader Vic's... and 0% like a Harry Caray's. I am glad that Harry Caray's has, errr... "stepped up to the plate" and are the hereoes making sure that TV's stays in Chicago. But: they can put their cash into it, and keep all of their entitled profits, but let's keep the televisions and football and lite beer out, ok?

See you for the mai tais and food specials on Tuesday at noon.

PS - Free day at the art institute museum is Tuesday.
Those of you making an special trip to the loop can multi-task!

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-02-03 12:44 ]

T

That is absolutely wonderful news!!! Sure wish I could be there. Knowing there'll be a new Chicago Vic's (hopefully...maybe...with some of the artifacts from the old one??)makes my having missed the old one a lot less painful :wink:

HURRAY!!!

[ Edited by: tikivixen 2006-02-02 18:15 ]

Pages: 1 1 replies