Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Easter Island Statue for Aquariums

Pages: 1 9 replies

While shopping for supplies for our aquarium, I found Easter Island Moai statues, made with resin, for aquariums.

Big Al's Aquarium and Tropical Fish Supply sells three sizes of this decoration.

[ Edited by: Scott McGerik 2007-08-10 12:51 ]

TT

Funny, I saw this post and said, "cool, just what I have been looking for" and it is from someone I know. What one did you get Scott?

I got the smallest statue. I have room for a larger statue but I was concerned about crowding.

Also, while searching for the Easter Island statues, I found plastic coconut palms for the aquarium. But, when I wrote the above post, I could no longer find them. :( Granted, there are no palms on Easter Island but the palm trees and the Moai look cool in our aquarium.

M
mbonga posted on Mon, Feb 6, 2006 6:40 AM

Granted, there are no palms on Easter Island but the palm trees and the Moai look cool in our aquarium.

BTW, there used to be palms on Easter Island:

"Originally, the island was covered in a lush palm forest, however this supply of lumber was readily used for construction of boats and houses, and to assist with moving the Moai. Many of the remaining trees were cleared for agriculture. This land clearance left the island much depleted of resources, and this eventually left the islanders to resort to cannibalism."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A778115

I think there's a message about wise use of natural resources there!

With that in mind, my aquarium reflects Easter Island before all the palm trees were cut down.

Kinda appropriate for an aquarium. I used to have 5 tanks going at time (Can you say obsessive) and cannabalism was my biggest fish issue. My oldest son keeps an eel in his tank now. He keeps bringing fish to put in there and then wondering why the eel eats them... At least now he just brings home little bait type fish from the ocean. The first few times it was expensive ones from the pet store.

Great link. I have an extra tank the eel grew out of. I think it would be fun to put the little statue inside the tank and the bigger ones as part of a surround outside the tank. I will probably be boring and just put goldfish in my tank! And then I could start a thread here on what to call my tiki tank...

T

I've only ever seen the smallest ones at my local pet shops. I got two a while ago, one is in a bowl with my wife's betta. The other guy is in my reef aquarium. He's been in there for a while, and some soft coral got to him, so now it's growing on his head. The small pineapple coral on the far right is actually sitting on one of the plastic half shipwrecks. You can also see the newest addition-- a glass float. I found some small ones at Michael's a long time ago, and decided to put it in the tank. I got the idea from another thread where people were discussing other tiki items to put in an aquarium. Anyway, here's the picture. The water's not too clear (and coral is partially closed up) because I stirred it up a bit while putting the float in place:

T

New palms have been growing on Easter Island since Heyerfahl's era.
They're making a comeback.

If you want your aquarium-floor moai to be truly authentic, lay them on their sieds and break their heads off.

There are probably at least several dozen moai that were decapitated and pushed off of cliffs during the great toppling in the 1800s, and a few more that were dropped into the sea while being carted off for museums (slippery things, those maoi).

Your fish won't know the difference, but you'll impress your guests.

T

On 2006-02-06 14:36, tikibars wrote:
If you want your aquarium-floor moai to be truly authentic, lay them on their sieds and break their heads off.

There are probably at least several dozen moai that were decapitated and pushed off of cliffs during the great toppling in the 1800s, and a few more that were dropped into the sea while being carted off for museums (slippery things, those maoi).

Your fish won't know the difference, but you'll impress your guests.

Ha! LMAO!!!!!

On 2006-02-06 06:40, mbonga wrote:

"Originally, the island was covered in a lush palm forest, however this supply of lumber was readily used for construction of boats and houses, and to assist with moving the Moai. Many of the remaining trees were cleared for agriculture. This land clearance left the island much depleted of resources, and this eventually left the islanders to resort to cannibalism."

I like children, could never eat a whole one though.

Pages: 1 9 replies