Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1960s Sea World brochure online

Pages: 1 2 replies

M
mbonga posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 9:29 AM

I see there was a thread here in 2002 about Sea World and tikis...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=1801&forum=1&start=0&hilite=sea%20world

...and since I just acquired a vintage Sea World brochure from the 1960s, I thought I'd scan it and put it online for everyone to enjoy. It has photos that weren't posted in the earlier thread...

http://www.simnia.com/places/USA/CA/SDC/SD/SW/SW2/

Tangaroa: Thanks so much for those Sea World pics in the earlier thread, especially of the audio-animatronic band! I've been looking for a photo of that for the past 5 years! I remember seeing it in 1968 but couldn't remember any details. And the dancing waters pic, too: that's a very rare scene of which to find photos. That was a very charming show.

I have another vintage brochure of Sea World that I've kept since my 1968 trip but it will likely be years before I can get to it and get it online. Also a tiki mug from circa 1990 from the modernized Hawaiian Punch Village, but those are commonly seen on eBay. I also have that Hawaiian Punch menu that is more accessible and I'll put a full-sized version online if I can find it in the next few months.

That Hawaiian Punch Village used to be great. I ate there on a 1980 trip, and inside there were travel films playing in the background high up on the wall, showing places like Hawaii. And the waitresses wore skorts that looked great. I loved the entire atmosphere even then. I'm afraid to go back to Sea World now, since I've heard how much it's changed even since 1990, which even then was very different from the Old Days.

T

very cool! Thanks for sharing that. It's almost weird to see how much Sea World has changed even in the last 20 years! Where are the Sea Maids?

T

Thanks!

It's hard to believe that this tank:

once housed Shamu!!!! George Milay told me Walt Disney came by once & strongly suggested he move him....

Love that original 60s Sea World logo.

As to the Hawaiian Punch Village - I did an interview with Bob & Leroy at Oceanic Arts about the decorations & rehabs they worked on for it over the years. Look for an article on that in an upcoming Tiki Magazine...

Pages: 1 2 replies