Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum

Pages: 1 6 replies

Ok, here's a question for you rum experts...

I recently found a bottle of Appleton Aged Rum that I bought my father during a Coast Guard port call in Ocho Rios Jamacia.....way back in 1993. Well, he never opened it and decided to let me have it for assisting him move. So, this rum is now QUITE well aged what do I do? Dare I open it? I am pretty sure this is a few steps above any common "Bacardi" and would love any input. Cheers!

I can email my freinds at Appleton and ask for you if you'd like.
But I'm pretty sure Spirits aren't meant to Age in the Bottle, thats why a 2yr old rum is still a 2yr old rum, even if you've had it for 10yrs.
But I'm not sure for definate

G

On 2006-02-17 16:19, cheekytiki wrote:
But I'm pretty sure Spirits aren't meant to Age in the Bottle, thats why a 2yr old rum is still a 2yr old rum, even if you've had it for 10yrs.

cheekytiki is right. It should taste fine as long as it is sealed good. But it won't be any more "aged" than it was when it came off the shelf. Aging happens in the charred wooden casks in the hot, humid climates where rum is produced.

Hey, thanks for the info guys!

I'm just going to wait for a good saturday night and get creative making various "grogs". ( Although since I got it during my first year in the Coast Guard maybe I should wait until I retire....7 more years??? )

Mahalo!!

I think there's a pirate motto......
Life be too short, for thar rum be lyin' around. ARRRR!

Waiting 7 years?!? I have a hard time waiting until 7pm.

On 2006-02-18 12:28, GatorRob wrote:
Waiting 7 years?!? I have a hard time waiting until 7pm.

Hummmm I don't know.... I know three guys who buried three bottles of rum (no longer produced in the world) in an undisclosed location and have waited three years to open it. That would be this summer 06. Oh, did I mention the curse? Something about opening the chest before the three years were up... arrrrrrrgggggggg.

Pages: 1 6 replies