Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The winner of the Second-Ever Tiki Central Mug Design Contest

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

Thanks to everyone who entered! There were so many great designs! I was really impressed with everyone's creativity and dedication to the contest. My congratulations go out to everyone who participated. With so many entries, the judging was tough. But in the end a clear winner rose up among the others.

Our Winner:

Congratulations Chongholio! The Tiki Central Ohana Hut is our winner!

But beauty does come at a price. Because it's such large, detailed, two piece mug (bowl, really), it is not going to be cheap, and it ain't going to be quick to produce. But we're sure the final product will be worth it.

Stuckie and I spent a lot of time debating whether or not we should pick such an expensive mug as the winner. Making this mug is going to take some time, and will likely be priced outside of a some member's budgets, and for a bit I wondered if we should choose a design that would be more in line with Shecky's original price. But after discussing it with Stuckie and a few other members, and considering how clearly in won it the judging, we decided to go forward with it. After all, it does represent what Tiki Central is all about. And I think it's going to be a fantastic collectible for everyone here on TC.

At this point I have NO OTHER DETAILS. No final price or shipping date has been set. We'll give people plenty of notification before they go on sale though.

At this time I will not be announcing the runner-ups. Congratulations to the winner!

GREAT choice and congratulations Chongolio!!
Now where do I sign up?

D

Yahooo! CONGRATULATIONS Congolio! Excellent, excellent design!!!

D

I want it NOW!

[ Edited by: dogbytes 2006-02-17 17:30 ]

K
kirby posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2006 5:30 PM

congrats chongo!!!!!!!!!! Yours was my fav....cant wait to see the final product...

Yea! Congrats!!

No Kiddin' !!!?:?? No $@#%$$ way!!! That is so AWESOME!! I thought the complexity was gonna knock me out for sure. WOO HOOO! Thanks you so much for havin' this contest and big thanks to Paul and Miles for helpin' to pull this off. A big hug to all the judges. And another big thanky to everybody who entered! It must of been a tough decision to make. YEAH!!! I am so stoked I am going to have to pull my head out of the ceiling! This is the one of the coolest things I have ever won!!

Chongolio

Congrats Chongolio I am soo glad they picked your "Hut". I think the judges made the right choice. I also think there were some other great mugs in there as well. I am excited to see who the runner ups are Too!!! I can't wait to have a Chongolio TC Bowl!!!!
Sincerely,
Spermy

WORD to the chongo man!

G

It's just what I've always wanted... fill the house with rum and slurp it all down. Congrats Chongolio! It's a beautiful design deserving of praise.

T

I love this design and am thrilled Chongo won!

I'm wondering if the (gasp!) design could be simplified a bit to make it simpler, smaller and more affordable. In the drawing it's more rectangular in shape (from the top view). Why not make it more of a square mug with a lid? I think the spirit and feeling of the design would translate well to a bigger or smaller version. It could still have 2 or more straw holes so you and your ohana could all drink from it. Just a thought.

Congrats again to Chongolio and all who entered! Can't wait to get mine.

Way to go Chongolio!

A GORgeous choice, judges!
It's beaUtiful, Chongolio!! And you had some STIFF-ass competition!!
The TC Ohana Hut surely does symbolize what we're all about.

I cannot WAIT to see one in person
(since I already fear I'll be one of the outside-of-some-members'-budgets people :()!
But I'll admire enviously!!

Congratulations!!!!

Thats one hell of a concept. Cant wait to see the finished product. Get me on that list for one.. It doesnt surprise me that Paul and Stuckie were in on this with you either Chongo...Great minds work alike. Congratulations, dude. That looks to be one great piece of art. FreddieB

Congrats Chongholio , hey any thought on selling copies of the mug design I know I'd buy one !! Even if everyone couldn't afford the mug they could have something close like the design maybe even signed and numbered ?! HEY JUST A THOUGHT

this is going to be an amazing piece! congratulations chongholio! mahalo to the judges for a great selection. there were so many outstanding entries, but this was my favorite too. i'm excited to see the finished project.

On 2006-02-17 18:55, Mai Tai Matty wrote:
Congrats Chongholio , hey any thought on selling copies of the mug design I know I'd buy one !! Even if everyone couldn't afford the mug they could have something close like the design maybe even signed and numbered ?! HEY JUST A THOUGHT

great idea matty! i'd love to have a print of that.

M

That's HOT, Great choice! I can finally stop checking to see who won every 20 minutes.

It could come with a certificate of authenticity with the winning illustration on the back!

Sign me up.

K

How cool is that! Looking forward to it's debut. Congratulations Chongholio..

T

Hanford soon finally came. Congrats with the winning mug. I may finally own a Shecky with one being on the roof, that is. It, would be cool to have a larger mug but it would be equally cool, to have a smaller, mug size. Sign me up, although, Munktiki will hook all who wants one up. Finally, I can go to bed now and go back to work!

Great choice. well worth the wait.

randy!
you da man!

can't wait to get my hands on this mug!
tiki chris

Absolutely a fabulous design and a clear winner!
Congratulations...
I can't wait to make a 'house specialty' drink in it.

ba dum bum

Edited to avoid breaking the multiple user name TABU.

[ Edited by: Kamapua'a 2006-02-17 22:50 ]

B

Congrats Chongolio!!! All the entries were so good, judging was one of the hardest things I've had to do, but I'm psyched the "hut-bowl" won! Cant wait to see progress on this. Congrats again!!

M

Outstanding! It's (gonna be) a hell of a piece. Congrats!

Very cool Chongolio! I like it!

You 'Da Man Chongo!! Congratulations.
Aloha,
:tiki:

So busy that I check posts & these days post very seldom - too busy!! But I've gotta say YEE HAH Randy! Good pick for sure. Dig Randy's work a lot!
Out,
Holden

A top draw design, that really sums up TC.

Great Job.

That is gonna look so cool on a shelf and will really contrast the shapes of other mugs. Diversity rules! Thanks for giving us more of it, Chongolio!

WOW! Grand Members are guaranteed to get one, right? :D

On 2006-02-17 17:34, Chongolio wrote:
I thought the complexity was gonna knock me out for sure. WOO HOOO!

I knew you had it.
Not also thanking the judges, but for Hanford and Munktiki for havin' the coconuts to do such a piece of art.
An instant classic.
ALRIGHT RANDY!!!

V

yeeeaaaah. Great, I'm happy it won. Congratulations, and thanks to Hanford and Munktiki. This is gonna be a great piece of art. And that way, Shecky will remain the TC mug, this new design will be the bowl.

I'm gonna start savin' now, so when it does start comin' off da line, it won't be "too expensive" for this people! Great "outside of da box/mug" thinkin', Randy!

I got a call from Chongolio last night telling me that he won. This is awesome news. His design was, hands down, the winner from the beginning. Cheers to Randy for thinking "outside the box".

B

Chongo, Very Well done indeed! Yours was one of my favorites and I'm so glad you won. I'm sure it is gonna be Beautiful and I can't wait to get mine.
HappyHappyHappy

Talk about raisin' da roof.
Congrats.

The design looks great. Time to go clear off a shelf in the bar.

tj

M

Randy,

WAY TO GO! Congratulations on your design being chosen. The second I saw it, I knew we had a winner.

P

Speaking as one of the 3000 judges, I can truly say that this design caught my eye because of one thing...

...The Uke.

So there you have it, Chongo.
Pandering does have its rewards. :wink:

Absolutely FANTASTIC!

It was one of my choices but I thought it might be too difficult to produce.

Many other great designs, as well - The Lemoai MUST be made.
It just must.

F
foamy posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 7:05 AM

Congratulations Chongolio! Beautiful piece and a great design! Looking forward to seeing the "Real McCoy." Hats off to the judges.

I

Congratulations Chongolio;

The unique and innovative design of your entry certainly caught my attention. It was fun being a judge for this contest, and I do hope that at least several of the many other mug designs will someday come to full 3-D life.

So, is someone going to design little tiny figurines of various Tiki Central Members? Then we could fill the Ohana Hut with good rum, and create a scale-sized Ohana Hut rum swimming pool for all of us to immerse ourselves in.

Vern

Great Mug! I can't wait to see it and buy it!!

Congrats Chongolio!

No surprises here.... Chongo is one talented dude.

Nice Job to all who submitted and big props to Munktiki for taking on the project.

RD

Excellent choice! That piece is going to be a stand out hit in any collection. Totally unique. Congratulations!

And if we're counting heads yet I'd also like to add: "I WANT ONE!!"

-Joe

Put me on the list too!

Excellent choice - I'll definitely need one! Do Grand Members get first dibs?! Hanford I know you said you didn't have any further details but is there any way we can we get some dimensions so that we can start making room on our shelves??? :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies