Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The winner of the Second-Ever Tiki Central Mug Design Contest

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

A

Damn, that's good....real good.
What a great concept, I'm almost speechless.

On 2006-02-23 14:43, Formikahini wrote:
I just hate to miss both a Shecky (none available back then) and an Ohana hut (if too costly for me) :(

I've a suggestion:

Why not make the 2nd & 3rd mugs available too?

These would inevitably be cheaper to manufacture & be very popular with Tiki Centralites too. If the Ohana Hut ends up costing $100, a large number who could afford it would be able to buy the other two mugs (at what? $10 -20 each?). Those who couldn't afford the hut would end up being very happy with one or two damn fine mugs that got close to winning.

So, Joe Tiki Central buys the hut.
Fred Moneybags buys the Hut, & 2 & 3.
Bob Cashflowproblem buys 2 or 3.
Pete Munktiki lover (non-TikiCentralite) buys up anything left over that the public are allowed to buy.

And Tiki Central gets more funds.....
Everyone wins.
Any thoughts?

Trader Woody

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Mar 3, 2006 5:50 PM

Trader, vote for mine and then I think thats a good idea :D :D :D

Mr Woody, a fine idea.

More of everything for everyone, gets my vote.

i just gotta know how many hut's will be made, and how much will they go for?

Any idea whwen these will go on sale? I do not want to miss this one.

It will be some time until these are ready.
I'm planing on posting photos as I go along. Right now its just a rough block of clay, which I will post asap. I've gotten a bit busy so I haven't been able to work on it too much.

-stuckie

G

Your concept is x-treme ART at it finest, well done Chongolio! It would be great to see the finished product at Oasis VI.

Ok so I finally got some time in today on the mug. Its gonna happen!.... little by little. Heres where I'm at as of today, its obviously still extremely rough.

-stuckie

Drool.......

P
pik0 posted on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 9:04 PM

Very coolio!!!

I wouldn't pass up to purchase a design based on Chongo's drawing!!

Piko

http://www.HawaiianConcertGuide.com

[ Edited by: pik0 2006-03-20 21:05 ]

H
hmc posted on Tue, Mar 21, 2006 1:49 AM

Oh my god, what a huge job! Very impressive.

T

It looks to be bulging with alcohol in the second picture. It looks large.

It looks huge, any chance of a picture with Shecky* beside it so we can get a sense of how big the finished hut will be?

*i was trying to think of an object that would transend international boundries for example i know how big a four person haggis is but not how big a babe ruth bar is.

that looks like the first vessel that i might never see the bottom of. how many quarts?

Heres another days work. Just need to clean up the detail. Shouldnt be long now. Once I finish up the detail on the bottom area I'll flip it over and add the bamboo stilts. The tiki central sign above the door will be carved into the mold

-stuckie

T

Cherry O, I like how the Shecky is different on the new mug. I am going to have to make major room at the center of my collection for this puppy. Hey, this coould be the house for all of Munk's shots.

I just need to know if I'm all alone here: Is anyone else thinking this is a silly drinking vessel? I mean it looks great and I'd like one but wouldn't it make a better cookie jar?

yeah, its silly. when i finish it im gonna use that roof as a hat.

Zazz! That is looking so cool! I can't take my eyes off it. I just spoke with Stuckie and he has the petal to the metal. We are waitin' for the final Okilly dokilly from Hanford about the side and back wall items and with any luck the mold will be finished this weekend!

Pappy once you drink out of it with a few of your friends all your reservations will lost.

Bigkahuna, When you wear your lid make sure to get a pic in a Monkeyman t-shirt and send it over to MM. :D

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

T

It will go good with Tikifarms cookie jar.

The pic will be me lying on the floor with a broken lid.

you could use it to hold your pina colada gum...

That is coming along very nicely and looks amazing. Even if it is slightly silly in one way or another it is definately a fun piece and most fun things in life are at least a little silly.

I'm realizing this contest is more than a come up with an idea and it becomes a mug type deal. It's really a leaning experiance in seeing the whole process from concept to production mug. We did see this with the Katrina mug but the having everyone participate and having the mood be much lighter around the project has given it other qualities which I'm just now realizing.

looks like two mugs will fit inside. different drinks for different straw holes.....? surprise!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:44 AM

Shoulda made the bottom half bigger so itd fit more drink!

Man, postage to down under is gonna be a bitch!

I'm getting thristy just looking at the pictures .BK must sure you tie a strap around your head when you wear the lid I'am..!!!!

OK...So here are the details. The other side of the mug is going to have two crossed tiki torches and a surfboard. The back wall will have the same patterns that are on the front. The Ohana Hut is moving along at a pretty good pace and Stuckie has been puttin' in lots of weekend time to get this into our sweaty little hands. The guy is Awesome!

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 8:34 AM

And the second winner of the second mug contest is....

What?! No waterfall?

The Mold is done, finished it over the weekend. I'll be in LA end of this week, as soon as I get back I'll work on making a prototype and posting it on TC.
It'll be at least another month before I actually get to production as I still need to make the Master molds and working molds.
-stuckie

D

My lord that's huge!

Stuckie, how many parts will the molds for this need? It looks like they'll be too complex for a simple, single silicone mold. Maybe a single for the bottom & a two part mold for the roof would be doable?

Yes, I'd enjoy a "Creating Tiki" thread on the mold making & casting of this mug. :)

Err.. ummmm. well, the base is a 5 piece mold. 1 piece for each side and one for the bottom. I was able to get away with a 4 piece mold for the roof. 1 for the top, 1 each for the front and back and 1 for the bottom.

I'll try and post pics at some point of the molds.
I'm going to attempt pouring one today, despite the fact the molds are still a bit wet.
The master molds are going to be a task. For the base, it will probably be around 17 pieces, the roof, 8 pieces.

-stuckie

Heres a couple photos

Wow - every time I see pictures like that I appreciate my complex mugs a little more.

Thanks, it's a beaut

On 2006-04-05 07:51, stuckieshaft wrote:
Err.. ummmm. well, the base is a 5 piece mold. 1 piece for each side and one for the bottom. I was able to get away with a 4 piece mold for the roof. 1 for the top, 1 each for the front and back and 1 for the bottom.

I'll try and post pics at some point of the molds.
I'm going to attempt pouring one today, despite the fact the molds are still a bit wet.
The master molds are going to be a task. For the base, it will probably be around 17 pieces, the roof, 8 pieces.

-stuckie

:sheckymug: :wub: :D

Thank you very much! I was thinking less mold pieces if you were using a flexible silicone mug, but I guess a solid mold will last longer with less deformation of the mold over the life of the mold? It's wonderful to get an idea of how a professional works, we get to see the professional carvers do their thing in "Creating Tiki," but it's only the talented amateurs posting about mug making in there.

C

HOLY KILN FIRE! That is amazing!

Chongolio

by the way... there will be a "munktiki, how to make a tiki mug" in the near future. End of this year?.... possibly?
-stuckie

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 5, 2006 5:29 PM

$o many $ide$. It doe$ make you love the mug$ more.

The mug looks amazing. It is getting exciting to see what it will all look like once it's finished!

H

I can't wait!

Hey Hanford, Munktiki and I got mentioned in our local Santa Cruz paper a few weeks ago regardin' the mug contest. They also mentioned Tiki Chris and my old buddy Kamapua'a. I just found out last night when I was doing some ego surfin' Pretty cool if you ask me but I not sure how acurate the "fame and fortune" part is.
You can check it out here, The blurb is the second article down the page.

Chongolio

I was wondering what happens when you have four people with straws stuck into the lid and someone pulls a bit on their straw and next thing you know the lid is on the table and broken. I was gonna say, maybe it needs a lock, but it looks like there is a lip on the roof to kind of prevent that.

Chongolio, have you driven down the coast to see the work in progress? It's got to be less than an hour drive for you to Stuckie's shop. The Hut looks amazing! Any idea on a price or when we can get our name on the list to be one of the first to get one?? I would think it will take months for Stuckie to get through the first round of orders.

I love the Ohana Hut, I really do, but it sucks that I will never be able to afford one. :cry:

T

Finkdaddy, work a second job just until you get the money to buy it and then quit. Thats what I am going to do

Hey Maui Tiki No I have not driven down to Monterey to see the mug progress. I have been unbelievably busy. However, I have a very strong feeling we will be seeing a finished Ohana Hut in the very near future. I don't have any information about how the sales and the list are going to be worked out or how when the Ohana Hut will actually be available. I do know that Stuckie and Hanford are probably busier than I am and one of them will let everybody know when and what to do to get signed up when they have all their ducks are in tight formation.

Chongolio

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies