Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

C

I concur with Chip and Andy,

Any input, thoughts, etc. from those currently hosting tiki events would be most appreciated.

How about instead of writing all about The Perfect Tiki Event; someone should plan the Perfect Tiki Event? Trust Me if You Post it TC'ers will show :) ~ WooHooo

On 2006-03-03 10:26, WooHooWahine wrote:
How about instead of writing all about The Perfect Tiki Event; someone should plan the Perfect Tiki Event? Trust Me if You Post it TC'ers will show :) ~ WooHooo

Yeah, caerthe. You axe alot of questions. What's your angle? Are you going to get us all together and make tiki-flavored soylent green?

T

On 2006-03-03 11:23, pappythesailor wrote:

On 2006-03-03 10:26, WooHooWahine wrote:

Yeah, caerthe. You axe a lot of questions. What's your angle? Are you going to get us all together and make tiki-flavored soylent green?

As someone who is quite involved in a lot of Tiki events, I have followed this thread with great interest.

Some of the ideas from caerthe and the people who have responded to his/her posts are great. Some of them are definitely things that Tikikiliki and I have thought of for Hukilau, and I will bet that some of the same ideas are also things that have been suggested during planning meetings for Tiki Crawl, Oasis, Exotica, and all the other annual events.

A lot of the suggestions are for things that already happen regularly at events. I think there has been a fair amount of feedback here on TC about what worked and what didn't.

At least a few of the new suggestions are things that are already slated for Hukilau this year, such as seminars (Jeff Chenault, for example will be doing a panel about Exotica music, and we're going to set up a few more panels for the same afternoon).

To answer WooHoo's question: I think I can speak for all tiki event organizers, past and present, when we say that we all try to make every Tiki event "The Perfect" one, but we are working within the constraints of the law, and of cash. It costs a ton of money to make an event happen, and planners have to make vey careful decisions about what to spend money on so that they don't have to completely massacre the attendees with high ticket prices. I think that Mondo Tiki in 2003, various Hukilaus I've been to or worked on, Oasis, and even small region events like Hot Rod Hula Hop in Columbus, are all ALREADY "The Perfect" events - within the constraints of the real world recources that the organizers have to work with.

One example of a great idea that just isn't feasible was having tattoo artists at an event.

I love this idea.

The word 'tattoo' is a Polynesian word, and Polynesian tattoos are among the most intricate and beautiful in the world. I have a few myself, and plan on more. I know a few master tattoo artists who would love to set up shop at a Hukilau or Oasis. BUT - this would be illegal. There are all sorts of laws about where tattooing can happen, and an entire event can get shut down if some cop decides to bust a tattoo artist who didn't go through the considerable legal formalities and expenses to get a permit. So it ain't gonna fly.

There are many other examples of great ideas that we'd love to see but that just won't work for various reasons.

Fire is very hard to get permission for....

So, yeah, we ALWAYS strive for "The Perfect"... but there are obsticles, and there is also the fact that everyone's idea of perfect is different.

Ultimately, if as many members of the ohana as possible can gather in a place that is relaxing and comfortable, and enjoy seeing faces tat we don't get to see nearly often enough... to me, that's all you really need. It's people. The rest is all gravy.

Now, a question for caerthe:
I wonder the same thing as Pappy.
Are you planning an event?
You're asking a LOT of very detailed, very specific, very diverse questions.

Have you been to an Oasis, an Exotica, a Hukilau, a HRHH, a Crawl, a Tabu Tiki Night, or even to one of our ohana's home bars?
If you want to know what makes an event great, come on out to one, meet the 'ohana, make some friends, and you'll learn real fast what makes us tick. I will be first in line to buy you a Zombie, and welcome you to the club. Just friendly advice. And if you've already been out to some events, then I can't wait to see what you're cooking up on your own.

Hmmm... 'cooking'?

Did I say "It's People" that make the events rock?

...with gravy?

Maybe Pappy is right!

Soylent Green!

H

As always, tikibars, well said.

On 2006-02-27 21:20, caerthe wrote:

Question for event hosts: Are commemorative mugs really worth all the trouble? I haven't had a tiki mug made and it seems like a considerable amount of time, energy and money to have one created. I'm asking because I'm wondering if a tiki mug is a good source for a secondary revenue to help offset other event expenses.

We provided event mugs for both NW Tiki Crawl 2 and NW Tiki Crawl 3. The #2 mug was an off the shelf mug with a custom decal fired on. The #3 mug was custom designed by our own Tiki Tronic, and we basically learned how to cast, fire and glaze them ourselves. Yes, it was a lot of trouble, but it was definitely worth it. The mugs were beautiful, we got a huge number of compliments on them, they were another source of pride in an event that we were already proud of, they paid for themselves, and they made us enough extra revenue to help seed this year's event. This year's expanded NW Tiki Kon will have a signature mug, and we'll never do another NW event without a signature mug. Worth whatever it takes to make it happen.

C

Hello Tikibars,

You have my gratitude for your post. Some good info and some fair questions.

To give you a little background on myself, my discovery of tiki was completely by accident and though I've come to realize that I've spent large portions of my life around Tiki, I only developed a true passion for it a little over a year ago. My tiki experiences (when not the result of my own efforts) have been far and few between (yet quite excellent) and because of budget and timing, I've enjoyed the events you've mentioned, but only within the pages of tiki magazines, tiki event websites and by viewing conversations of these events on the Tiki Central lists. The area in which I live is almost completely devoid of any tiki and very far from any formal tiki gathering. Though it would greatly sadden my wife, my dog and I to be apart, I do yearn to attend these incredible events and would be willing to sign up for a tiki foreign exchange or tiki "semester at sea" if such were available.

Anyhoo, Tiki within the area I live is struggling, at best. I'm currently endeavoring to assist it's growth in a number of ways and one of those is an event. The reason; however, that no site has been confirmed, date been set or volunteers solicited is because I truly feel that the event has one shot at succeeding. If I rush my attempt and the arrow falls too far from the bullseye, then I think it's unlikely that someone (including myself), will try to hit that target again for many more years. I could be wrong, but since no such action has yet been taken, I don't think I'm incorrect. Therefore, since I've decided upon this course of action, I'm simply gathering as much information as possible before embarking on some of the more daunting facets of such an effort.

One part of my information gathering, so you know, will be attending at least a few of the events mentioned in your post. Ultimately, I won't be able to solely rely on the words of those who have and will hopefully continue to respond to this thread (Thank you all!), I'll need the experiences these grand gatherings offer, first hand. This is crucial. Not only to better know and be a part of this great community, but to better formulate my own approach to the event I wish to host.

Regarding the "Perfect" tiki event. I've been in the event game some time and I've yet to see (at least from a creator's point of view) a perfect event. I know from personal experience that what an event creator hopes to achieve generally differs from the final product. The creator always sees the slightly off angle in the final piece that nobody else does. However, if the final product or event (in this case) is seen as perfect by everyone else, then pass out the champagne (or Mai Tais)! I realize that there can be a great difference between what is desired and what can be realistically achieved. That doesn't mean anyone should stop trying for perfection. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, our tiki heritage is heavily dependent upon the past pursuits of Polynesian pop perfection. The Tikis come to mind as one example. I sorely wish the "if you build it, they will come" analogy was the rule more than the exception. Sadly, this isn't usually the case. Especially in a nearly tiki devoid region, like mine. Therefore, to better strive for tiki perfection, I think we all need to question and re-examine convention on occasion. Sometimes, that means questioning ourselves and others as to what we see as perfect.

Just to be clear, because I think it needs mention, the purpose of this thread is not to nit-pick or degrade current tiki events, it's just to find out what tiki event attendees want to experience, experience differently or experience less of and to explore all of this through discussion. Please know that if this thread or any comments that I have made within it have implied that there is anything wrong with any current tiki event, it was not intentional.

Whew! It's late and I have to work tomorrow. Well, Tikibars, I hope I've adequately answered your questions and given you and everyone else a little insight into who I am and the intent behind this thread. Thank you for the offer of the Zombie (a favorite drink of mine before I even knew it was tiki). When we do have the chance to meet, I'll gladly accept. This has been an excellent exchange.

Hmmmm...zombies.

Zombies like brains and I've been trying to pick all of yours with this thread.

Well, if you're feeling charitable, please send your brains in a sealed, non-returnable container to:

Rob the Zombie
1515 Moose and Squirrel Ave
Frostbite Falls, MN :wink:

Mahalo

[ Edited by: caerthe 2006-03-12 21:02 ]

C

Question on Tattoos:

Because of the legal ramifications of a Tattoo artist at a tiki event, mentioned by Tikibars, what about Henna?

It's not permanent, but it would last the weekend. I wonder if there's a version that leaves a black stain rather than the orange-ish hue it generally leaves?

M
mbonga posted on Sat, Mar 4, 2006 4:03 AM

On 2006-03-03 14:46, tikibars wrote:
Fire is very hard to get permission for....

Couldn't such an event be held as a party on private property? I went to a pretty cool drum circle event in Florida once out in the boonies, and we sat around a bonfire and played drums and people were passing the bottle, dogs and kids were walking all around, and people were passing out drunk by the fire. People just brought tents and camped out there and used the house only for the bathroom. If I hadn't caught somebody's virus from the bottle and gotten sick for the next few days, and had some flake forget to pick me up to get there, I would've ordinarily had good memories of the event.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:31 ]

T
thejab posted on Sat, Mar 4, 2006 7:03 AM

More single women!

C

Well a sharpie would do the trick, but the design would last well beyond a few days.

It would be fun to see the reactions of coworkers on Monday, however.

Does anyone out there have experience with Henna and could lend insight?

C

I'm going back through comments from the last couple of days.

mbonga wrote:

1. Photo sessions with models. I'm really into photography myself, and I think a lot of other people here would love to have more photos of nice models posing draped over tikis, especially female models wearing grass skirts or swimsuits. Male models are also a possibility, depending on the amount of interest. That could be considered legal "adult" entertainment of sorts and would incidentally provide additional documentation of the event. It could also bring in a significant amount of additional income for models and the event, if there were a fee charged per photographer.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're wanting something like a "home-game" version of Winkitiki. This idea takes me in two directions.

1.A vendor style situation, possibly featuring Winkitiki himself, where he sets up a basic background with a certain number of adjustable props, a few lighting options and a model. Customers then pay for a limit of time in which to use Winkitiki's equipment to photograph the subject. Depending on the set-up, the customer may be able to view shots his/her shots, immediately after the session and choose a predetermined number for print. Customer would then receive prints a few weeks later. There's some interesting logistics to consider for both the vendor and the event staff, but I think it could possibly work. Not sure on legality, especially if nudity of the model were an option. Something that could easily be researched, however. If such an activity were allowed, a large emphasis would have to be made of the art aspect. There's a whole "hey, let's go take nudie pictures" aspect, that I'd personally want to avoid.

2.Winkitiki fantasy class. These type of classes are very popular with a number of high-end hotels and resorts: BBQ or cooking lessons w/professional chefs, golf classes with a pro, etc. I would venture to guess that this would be a more preferable option for the vendor as classes could be sold in advance of the event. For the event attendee/customer, exclusive attention for a predetermined time period would be excellent, but these Fantasy Classes tend to be fairly pricey.

There are two big questions, regarding both options:
-Would there be enough interest from event attendees to make either option financially viable for both the event attendees and the vendor?
-Would arranging for space, backdrops, lights, props, model(s), etc. be too difficult, logistically speaking, for the vendor?

Thoughts or suggestions?

[ Edited by: caerthe 2006-03-05 02:25 ]

M
mbonga posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 7:14 AM

So, if I understand you correctly, you're wanting something like a "home-game" version of Winkitiki.

I was completely unfamiliar with Winkitiki until I searched this site just now, in response to your question. I see now:
http://www.winkytiki.com/
But yes, exactly that type of clothed cheesecake photo, except with more tikis.

1.A vendor style situation, possibly featuring Winkitiki himself, where he sets up a basic background with a certain number of adjustable props, a few lighting options and a model. Customers then pay for a limit of time in which to use Winkitiki's equipment to photograph the subject.

No, I was thinking everybody just uses their own cameras, as if they were each a fashion photographer. This takes very little overhead. Extra public lighting would be preferable, but even that would not be necessary. Just about anybody could loan a large tiki for the sessions at no cost, with the side benefit of getting exposure for their artwork or products. Customers could either pay a flat fee, or by amount of time, or some combination scheme.

Depending on the set-up, the customer may be able to view shots his/her shots, immediately after the session and choose a predetermined number for print. Customer would then receive prints a few weeks later.

I think in terms of digital cameras now. The customer sees his/her own preview immediately, no developing or delays or middleman necessary at all. Simple, easy, inexpensive, virtually no overhead anywhere, just pure income for the models and/or sponsors. People pay, walk into the setup area, take pictures, then leave. No physical products coming or going anywhere, other than the camera they came with.

There's some interesting logistics to consider for both the vendor and the event staff, but I think it could possibly work. Not sure on legality, especially if nudity of the model were an option.

I was assuming no nudity. Nudity suddenly creates enormous legal hurdles, which is why I mentioned swimsuits or grass skirts and it being legal. This old touristy postcard from Tiki Gardens is the kind of photo I had in mind when I wrote my suggestion:

C

Thanks for including the Winkitiki link mbonga, my bad.

So I think maybe what you're looking for is more of a photo opp session. One that would be available to the public and maybe cost a small fee for the opportunity, but would encourage attendees to use their own equipment in order to increase efficiency and cut down on overhead. Fair enough. There would still be some logistics to work out, but nothing as extensive as I was thinking.

I agree on the no nudity. Once people take their clothes off, a whole new world of legal issues arise.

[ Edited by: caerthe 2006-03-05 19:02 ]

T
thejab posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 6:55 PM

I agree that nudity is out of the question, unless it's in my room!

C
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.