Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I finally got my own!

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just got back from driving through 8 states in 7 days looking through antique and thrift stores for tiki treasures. The trip was fun and we were able to spend some time with some great tiki folks from the FOM.
I was really hoping to come across some witco, but it looked as if I wouldn't be lucky.
We walked into a place way off the main road and found a town with about 10 antique stores in it's downtown. ( I think we were in VA) I came through a doorway and Holy Witco! a pair of lamps, a coffee table, some stools, a large picture ( out-rigger) and a huge conquistador fountain in excellent shape. None of it had a price on it. Now I'm almost wetting myself I'm so excited, but I managed to calm myself down enough to walk up to the front desk and ask the man if he could give a price on some furniture I found.He walks over all the while I'm having visions of this stuff sitting in my home and then he kills the dream by saying, " Oh this stuff is sold." ahhhhhhhh! He then further hurts me more when he tells me that this is just the tip of the iceberg. There was a sofa, two smaller tables, more pictures, and a few pieces he can't remember. Tells me that they couldn't sell it for the longest time. Finally a lady came in who collects tiki and put the whole works on lay away for $1,300. She's been slowly taking home a few pieces at a time as she pays for them. My loss was somebody's big gain! Anyone here the lucky lady?
I pouted for the next 100 miles....
The next day though...

walking through another even smaller shop I found this tagged Island couple for $34. I also found what I think are maybe witco keys?

nice find Exotica....sorry out that you missed out on the jackpot...but that leaves you with
a lot of cash that you didn't have to spend...so you can have fun with the quest.

that's true conga, the hunt is quite fun all in it's self.
It was still a first for me just to look at so much witco in one place. It made me giddy!

On 2006-02-26 19:49, exotica59 wrote:
None of it had a price on it. Now I'm almost wetting myself I'm so excited, but I managed to calm myself down enough to walk up to the front desk..

I think thats the best part of tiki hunting, the bit where you find the tiki, then turn it over to find the price, if its got a price tag you can swan up to the counter and pay for it, but no price means you have to fight your inner urge to be excited in case the seller SEES THE DESIRE in your eyes and pumps up the price.

Exotica59,
Man what a tough break for you on the big treasure trove, but at least you found some other nice pieces. Okay, who is the tiki/Witco collector that is holding out on us? Somebody must be having a real hard time containing their excitment until that last piece is loaded into the SUV and hauled home. Enquiring minds want to know!!!
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-02-27 14:07 ]

yes, we do want to know! I'd like to see the whole set all together. Who-ever-you-are, you got a such a lovely set. You must have been over joyed to walk into the store and see all that just sitting there.Congratulation to you! you're one lucky lady!

Pages: 1 5 replies