Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Danger! Danger! Lost in Space robots for sale!!!

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

Very cool but a bit expensive. Hmmmm, what if it could be programmed to mix perfect tiki drinks....

M
mbonga posted on Thu, Mar 2, 2006 5:40 AM

Hmmmm, what if it could be programmed to mix perfect tiki drinks....

Maybe, but can you see it wearing a Hawaiian shirt?

MT

Pretty cool, Tiki-bot! Definitely out of my price range though. I do have a table-top version of the Lost In Space Robot, about a foot tall, that speaks Japanese and English.

I just saw this. Many moons ago I started to build a "Lost in Space" robot. I actually bought parts from Mike, the guy who is selling the fully-made ones. The funny thing was there's a huge club for making these, but it was illegal to sell parts because of copyrights.

Mike reached a deal with the estate of Irwin Allen, and from there the club was legal, parts were being sold and people were having fun again because they were able to get quality parts.

Me, I was about 6o% finished but after 4 years of doing nothing I sold what I had done. You can build a nice one for about $2500 or so. Not much if you spread it out over build time.

Ya, he looks cool,
but can he make fun of Dr. Smith?

"Oh the pain... The pain..."

$25,000 smackers and it doesn't even roll. Geez.

Yeah, and not to mention,

"Astigmatic Automaton!
Bellicose Bumpkin!
Blithering Booby!
Bubble-Headed Booby!
Bulbous Bumpkin!
Bumptious Booby!
Cackling Cacophony!
Cybernetic Simpleton!
Dottering Dunderhead!
Ferrous Frankenstein!
Floundering Flunky!
Frightful Fractious Frump!
Jabbering Jackanape!
Lily-Livered Lummox!
Lugubrious Lagert!
Meandering Mental Midget!
Medical Misfit!
Mechanical Misery!
Monstrous Mechanized Misguided Moron!
Monstrous Meddler!
Neanderthal Ninny!
Pathetic Pomposity!
Pedagogical Pip-squeak!
Pompous Pip-squeak!
Poor Dear Sick Friend!
Preening Popinjay!
Presumptuous Pip Squeak!
Presumptuous Popinjay!
Proverbial Neanderthal!
Pusillanimous Pinhead
Quivering Quintessence of Fear!
Rusty Rasputin!
Sanctimonious Scatterbrain!
Scurrilous Scatterbrain!
Sickening Cybernetic!
Tin-Plated Tintinnabulation!
Tiresome Thesaurus!
Traitorous Fugitive from a Junkyard!
Traitorous Transistorized Toad!
Unctuous Underling!
Ungrateful Wretch!
Unspeakable Wretch...!"

(Bet it would convert into a swell bar fridge, and jukebox!)

(Who wants to party with the DrinkBot...?!)

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-12-10 11:27 ]

Dang, them things looks cool! They're expensive, all right, but after looking over the features, I'm pretty sure a lot of the cost actually goes into building them. Those are some tricked-out robots.

It all depends on what you put into them. These come with a $3000 plus sound system, and motorized. You can build a static display with less features for about $3000-$5000, but you're doing the work.

I still want to someday build one again. Still in boyhood awe when I was up close with one of these robots.

Cheers!

Rick

Bob May, the man who was inside the Lost in Space robot, examines Ace Jackalope at Tulsa's Trek Expo in 2005. I had May sign my robot inside the flip-down cover near the treads. The robot is a radio-controlled model made by Trendmasters when the movie was out, and did not see wide distribution. I found it on clearance at Sam's Wholesale Club for about $40.

Robots all: May and a replica robot pose with Tricia Helfer from Battlestar Galactica.

Robert Kinoshita, the man who designed the Lost in Space robot, also designed Robby from Forbidden Planet; I'd sure love to photograph him someday.

LOL! You can own a Robby too thanks to Fred Barton. He started as a LIS robot builder but has branched out to almost all the movie robots.

http://www.the-robotman.com/

Pages: 1 12 replies