Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Velvet Painting Museum in Portland

Pages: 1 3 replies

I

I flew into Portland on Wednesday, picked up a local paper at my hotel lobby - and was pleased to see a big article on a new museum in town - dedicated to velvet paintings. The article mentioned Leeteg and other Hawaiian velvet paintings.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=33796

Unfortunately, my schedule for this trip did not allow me to stop and see this museum, and I didn't make it to the Alibi either (flying out on Friday morning)- although I was able to have a mai-tai at the Jasmine Tree.

Vern

R

The museum is 2 blocks from my house!!!

I plan on going there tomorrow, but they have a strict "no photos" policy. the article in the paper showed a beautiful glowing orange hawaiian sunset with palm trees swaying.

My kinda art.
Robert

The owner of this place wrote to me, asking about Christian's Hut.

He included some info on the demise of Christian's Hut.

He wrote:

"One afternoon in the summer smoke came billowing through the neighborhood. We all jumped on our bikes and rode down to Christian's hut to watch it burn down. We all knew from the smke that it was Christans burning down. It always looked llike a fire trap. It was scary too because everyone feared the fire could easily have spread especially if the wind was blowing hard and destroy the whole peninsula. They built the apartment house the Caribe Balboa on the site. Were there any velvet paintings in Christians hut? It was a very popular place and it was very sad to see it go. The peninsla kind of went downhill from then on."

If anyone knows about the interior decor of the Hut, lets let this guy know about it.

James, I only have two photocopies of the interior, and they don't show any velvets:

This clipping gives a date to his experiencing the demise of this Polynesian power spot:

Pages: 1 3 replies