Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Woodcarving On Oahu's North Shore

Pages: 1 16 replies

I don't remember ever seeing this mentioned here before...

This carving continues to amaze me and bewilder me. I saw it for the first time on a Nova special on big wave surfing, "Condition Black."
I also saw a shot of it on the short lived NBC tv show about some hotel on Hawaii a year ago.

On my trip to Oahu in '97 I was more into Oahu's surf than anything else so I don't know if I went right by this or not.

From the stock photos I've seen of it they mention it is near Sunset Beach.

Does anyone know the story of this carving? Who did it? Who is it? Was it carved here or transported?

I would love to find out more about it, it is an impressive piece.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-03-10 01:04 ]

B

THat looks to me to be very similar to all the indians done in every state by a carver called Peter Toth who calls himself, "The Indian Giver" Hedonates his time carving these giant pieces throughout the USA and has carved them in Every state. Since Hawaii has no "Indian" heritage, he carved this piece. I am sure it is his work. Google search for "Peter Toth, the Indian Giver" brings up a boatload of pages, one of which HERE showes one of his indians. He has retired from traveling and lives in Florida somewhere around Daytona Beach.

Interesting story! I remember coming upon one of those giants near Palm Springs, behind the old settler's adobe in Desert Hot Springs, across from the old Miracle Manor hotel.

B

Lake, I tracked down one of his carvings in Wakefield, Michigan. If that is close, you should go see it. It would be well worth the trip.Here is the info page about it.
Here are also some more of his carvings. I know these are not tiki, but as the carver of the Hawaiian piece at the top of this thread I think it fits.

It was a pretty good deal for all involved. The community got a Free carving usually 15 to 30 feet tall and the few months Peter spent carving it, he also carved smaller pieces and sold on the spot. He was usually provided room and board too.

I remember seeing it on Oahu. It is very large, and well carved, but at the time I thought it was oddly out of place. It just seemed to be in the wrong context to have this huge carving of a Native American at the beach in Hawaii.

B

ookoo lady, He has done indians in ALL states but Hawaii, where he carved a Polynesian. Here is a quote from part of a news article "The self-taught sculptor said the Charles Towne Landing Indian is a composite of historical features of the state's Catawba Indians, just as his works in other states were inspired by the tribes unique to them (Technically, Hawaii is the only state without an Indian sculpture; there, Toth chiseled a Polynesian)."
So that explains it. The piece is his interpretation of a Polynesian, placing them in his catagory of indiginous people. I have his book somewhere which he actually gave to me. I watched him carve a large part of a Indian statue in Hollywood Florida for an Indian friend of mine. He plays chess a few hours a day with anyone who will play with him. He calls his indians the "Trail of tears" and "The Whispering Giants". The whole deal is an interesting story.

I believe that there is a carving of Peter's along the Illinois River In Ottawa, IL. Just as you take the turn off to head towards St-raved Rock State Park. This is an area where the Illiniwek, and Kaskaskias lived.
The carving, If I remember correctly has suffered some fairly recent damage. I'll have to check it out for sure when I go back down to the area in May.

L

On 2006-03-10 07:46, ookoo lady wrote:
I remember seeing it on Oahu. It is very large, and well carved, but at the time I thought it was oddly out of place. It just seemed to be in the wrong context to have this huge carving of a Native American at the beach in Hawaii.

If... it is perceived by some as a carving of a Native American, it may not be considered out of context or out of place for many Hawaiians, as the plight of the American Indian is echoed in the way Hawaiians have been treated. There is a kinship among many Native Indians and factions of the local Hawaiian sovereignty movement and they are often mutually supportive.
In this instance, no feathers were carved at the top. Instead, a sort of topknot can be seen, as a large lava rock was placed on his head.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-10 13:30 ]

Much thanks for all the great information... now back to marveling over this carving...
The wrinkles... I could just stare at them for hours...
Good stuff.

Is this the same guy?
Found in a European surf mag

It's weird, doesn't fit in at all, and it's kinda creepy.
I'd rather have a tropical Tiki there.

To quote Eric Cartman: "It looks like some damned hippie crap."

Yes, that is the same one.

MD

Interesting story....thanks Ben for all the info.
I'm with Lake....tiki or not...those wrinkles and the quality of it are pretty amazing. It sure beats all the usual chainsaw indians, eagles and bears popping up out here in the 'wild' west.

P

This guy did one of his first carvings in my little town of Cleveland, TN and they had it in town center for a while before moving it to Red Clay Cherokee grounds.

It was cool to watch him work. I'd see him every so often whacking on it.

It's very similar to the one above on the brick pedestal.

EDIT--------

Hmmm, I see they moved it back into town.

http://www.clevelandchamber.com/recreation/attractions.htm

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-03-28 12:46 ]

WE have one here in Ocean City, MD

T

As stated before it sits on the mauka side of Kam Hwy right around Pipeline. A few years back it was set on fire and severely damaged on the base and one side. Rumor was that the locals felt it was disrectful in some way and vandalized it...

[ Edited by: tikihai 2006-03-29 14:27 ]

T

On 2006-03-28 14:02, bigkahuna627 wrote:
WE have one here in Ocean City, MD

Well that's what I get for living there for years and never bothering to read the sign. Thanks BK(627)

Pages: 1 16 replies