Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Trying to remember a film title?

Pages: 1 1 replies

M

I came across the following site a few months ago and I think it's great. You post your description of a film for which you want to find the title, and anybody who recognizes the description posts the answer. I've already had some of my most desired, longstanding, unknown film titles found this way, and it blows me away.

I have no affiliation with that site, and in fact I wish they'd update the results more than once a week, but since so many people here are into vintage things, and are trying to remember old places and names, and since at least one person responding there is obviously into tiki mugs, I thought I'd let people here know about that site.

http://www.datafriend.com/timc/find.html

Being a programming-oriented person myself, I'm extremely enthusiastic about creating a similar such site that solves the problems of ambiguity in keyword searches, mistaken details in descriptions, searching for composite concepts, implementing time lines, and so on, so if anybody would be interested in collaborating on such a project, you can post here or PM me about that. I envision a Wikipedia such site, where anybody can modify at least some of the descriptions at any time, results can appear at any time, and where the search is done semantically by concept rather than by keyword. I have a pretty good theoretical system laid out to accomplish all that, but I could use some help on language-database-Internet interfaces. Maybe such a search engine could even be implemented in Tiki Central first, as a trial version. Then for example, if you wanted to look up construction with bamboo, you could enter something like "(bamboo as-component construction)" instead of getting a thousand hits on the keywords "bamboo" and "construction" used individually.

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-03-12 12:51 ]

Let me know if you need a good PR rep. :wink:

Pages: 1 1 replies