Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

blank

Pages: 1 34 replies

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2014-04-08 13:21 ]

H

I just did a quick tally, and it looks like I've got around ~65 items, and Hanford probably has about 20 or so shirts.

S

MM-
I have about a hundred in the closet, some new, some vintage. You are welcome to check them out and photo what you want.

We are preparing to move in April, so some of it will be packed up in the next couple weeks.

-S

I'm curious why you're collecting these photos. Are you thinking of re-creating the designs, or publishing or posting the photos?

On 2006-03-17 07:28, ookoo lady wrote:
I'm curious why you're collecting these photos. Are you thinking of re-creating the designs, or publishing or posting the photos?

Either that or we've discovered what turns the Monkeyman on! :o :lol: "Honey, would you wear the boldly patterned & garishly colored vintage acrylic Barkcloth nightey tonight?" (Umm, actually that sounds pretty nice, I'm gonna hafta find one of those for my wife...)

Most of you know that I have been working on a Tiki Central documentary for a long time (and will continue a long time more).

I would like to feature a segment that shows all the wonderful polynesian inspired textiles from the days gone by.

I dont just want the shirts I actually want the people in them.

For example, If I was to feature myself wearing 20 or so of my favorite shirts, I would assemble a rapid fire slide show of me wearing each of them in a certain sort of pose with a consistent backdrop.

I would take that backdrop to the homes of the TCers I visit so that the segment would have consistency.

I already know a few of the folks with good shirt/dress collections (ie- hanford, humu, me, pup, etc) but had no idea that folks like sirginn have over 100 of them (score).

The important part is that people be inside them when they are photographed. Its fun and whimsical.

between tikicleen and myself we have 40-50 shirts and dresses(all vintage more if you count the new stuff). another member that has a bunch is tikivixen (thanks for the extras you gave us btw).

Sadly, its hard for me to find NEW shirts that fit me, let alone vintage. When I was in Hawaii on my honeymoon a few years back, I think I went to at least 10 different Hilo Hatties to find my fav shirt in a 5X (they run kinda small).

I wish I could just wank into a thirt store and find shirts my size. A few months ago I was in a salvation army store and found a great, vintage shirt for only $2. Even though it was an XL and I knew that I wouldn't fit in it, I bought it anyway for my brother. I had to get it for somebody!

Monkeyman, maybe you can start up a website that features vintage shirts and dresses... kinda like an Ooga Mooga for clothes.

I have 5 or so, which I thought was awesome until I saw the other posts. My favorite is a hotel uniform from the Mauna Kea hotel. It originally belonged to mr. pineapple-bot but I swiped it during my pregnant days! It has GIGANTIC orange flowers.

oh, I just saw you want 10 - 15. never mind.

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple 2006-03-17 13:32 ]

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple 2006-03-17 13:32 ]

I have 40+ shirts, mainly vintage with a few new

HOK

I have at least 45+ vintage Aloha shirts + accessories if you're ever in Hawaii...Aloha HOKU :tiki:

I rarely find shirts except for those horrible 70s inside out bland designs but I am getting a growing collection of bright vintage fabric and hope to one day run into a shut in with a sewing machine and a passion for shirt making

Well, I know you aren't going to travel to my part of the country, but... I have at least 20 shirts made beween 1975 - 1940, a few dresses too, some are obviously the girlfriend's and when I find small shirts, which is usually the case, I put them in my guest tiki apparel closet in my bar or let my 12 yr old have them.

eek....

I've never counted before:
50+ (most are vintage Hawaiian dresses, but a fair number of Chinese cheongsams, too - some made of Hawaiian fabric)

I think I need professional help....or a bigger closet...:roll:

(sorry I'm not closer to San Diego, Monkeyman - sounds like a fun project)

On 2006-03-17 08:03, freddiefreelance wrote:

Either that or we've discovered what turns the Monkeyman on!

"And you won't be needing those pants......."

Trader Woody

Im not the one with Woody in my TC handle... :)

Thanks for the replies

Not sure how many I have, but I do have a fair number of the bold, barkcloth shirts you speak of, mainly with Tikis on them. I used to collect them rather than mugs via eBay because they were a hell of a lot cheaper to send to the UK and didn't break en-route. If you are just wanting non-professional photos without a model I could undoubtably oblige.

I even have a pair of barkcloth swimming trunks somewhere, but the less said about those the better....

Trader Woody

Mrs. Fury has about 20 dresses and 30 or so shirts. My favorie of her collection is a 3/4 sleeve from the Casual Wear from the Reef at the Hawaiian Village that has cocktails on it including the one in the triangle mug. I have 75 or so, not all vintage. Lots of Quicksilver, Hang Ten, Toes On The Nose. I pass up a lot of older shirts as I am an XL and I see a lot of small and medium.

I have 30+ Aloha-style shirts, plus a couple non-Hawaiian "Resort Wear"-type shirts, and out of them maybe 2 are vintage.

salvation army near me has about a dozen shirts made by HILO HATIE. are they vintage?

P
T

On 2006-03-20 20:59, Formikahini wrote:
eek....

I've never counted before:
50+ (most are vintage Hawaiian dresses, but a fair number of Chinese cheongsams, too - some made of Hawaiian fabric)

I think I need professional help....or a bigger closet...:roll:

(sorry I'm not closer to San Diego, Monkeyman - sounds like a fun project)

You just need a bigger closet, doll. :)

I see that I have been in serious denial for some years. Probably I should thank you Monkeyman, for inspiring me to deal with this. My name is Lisa and I am an alohawearholic.

I count that I have over 100 hanging garments currently, all vintage. Then there is a big bag of about thirty or so garments which I'm planning to give away sometime when I can find enough tiki types together at one time. Then, there are a couple of large storage tubs full, about sixty garments I'd estimate, which I love but am not currently wearing due to having porked out a couple of years back. Granted only about half of the hanging garments fit me at the moment too but still, I realize that when I say "I have nothing to wear" this is really a sign of serious lunacy.

Anyway.

These are pretty equally distributed among dresses (sarongs, muumuus, sheaths, and a few waterfall types, plus several skirt/top combos), women's blouses and men's shirts. Couple of pairs of shorts and several "separate" skirts as well. One pants/top set. Almost all 50's and early 60's, a few late 60's to 70's, 95% cotton fabrics. I WISH I had more old rayon, silk and 40's stuff, but it just never did show up in thrifts during my shopping lifetime. And, if anything, it used to be even more overpriced than it is now. sigh Size range anywhere from 6 to 16, and all over the map with the men's stuff.

We aren't going to make Oasis but we do have a friend we're supposed to meet up with in San Diego sometime in the next few months. If you'd like a participant or if you'd just like me to DRESS a participant :lol: feel free to PM me.

embarrassed Shaheen freak,

tikivixen

TB

Tiki Vixen..............you win!!!!!

H

On 2006-04-07 20:47, tikivixen wrote:
embarrassed Shaheen freak,

Pish tosh, there should never be any such thing.

TB

........couple dozen, here. I make or customize event attire from vintage fabrics and patterns or design from scratch. Needless to say there is a rather large stack of yardage awaiting inspiration There's also a huge inventory of mod 60's fashions as a result of my band, Fuchsia Poshette.
I'm actually in the process of cataloging my surplus to sell to vintage clothing dealers.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2006-04-08 00:43 ]

Everybody on this thread, please note that I am quite committed to my next book project, "The LOOK of Tiki", on vintage Tiki, Tapa and 60s/70s "modern" Aloha shirts and wear.
This time, it will not take years after I am done with my upcoming tome "Tiki Modern and the Wild World of Witco" this August, because Martin McIntosh from Outre Gallery is burning to put the shirt book out, and so I plan to have it published by next year. It will be a new cornucopia of Tiki images, garish colors, and abstract modern primitive designs.

It's high time that the apparent loss of talent and knowledge in current Aloha shirt design gets reversed, and the trend to those lame muted color scheme brown/grey/dark green MUSH shirts a la Tommy Bahama gets stopped.

So just keep that in mind, when I am ready I will post the all-around request for j.pegs of your favorite theme wear. Mahalo to all.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-04-08 17:42 ]

T

hee Rock on, Sven, King of Orange, Czar of Lime! I might have a couple of shirts that are even wild enough for you!! Sometimes I just can't resist a cheerfully shrieking textile, especially if it features tikis. And large excitingly abstract orange splashy things of course.

TikiBree, every dress I've ever seen you in was stunning, and so are you. I just WISH I could make my own dresses like that!

Humu, thank you MWAH! and you're right...I'm not embarrassed about the Shaheen freakery, just, you know, the collector excess. This is why I have cleverly avoided having it all together in the same place before! Denial, yep.

TB

I'm honored to share my obsessive compulsive collecting passion with such good company. Now when I look at the tightly packed clothing in the closets and stuffed bins of Hawaiian fabric, I know that I am not alone............

Tiki Vixen, thank you!!! Hey, when will I see you again???

Sven, you've set my creative juices aflowing..........time to make more sarongs!!!

Humuhumu, one of my warmest memories of you is how you matched your nail polish exactly to the shade of pink in your dress at Hawaiian Inn couple years back.........

Tikivixen, Thank You for making me not feel as bad about my obsession!! Why, my collection is practically TINY by comparison. It's comforting to know, in the way it was to see the UGH House; if I ever feel bad about collecting too many junky collections, I can always tell myself (or critics), "Ah, but you haven't seen The UGH House! My house is Japanese Sparse comparatively!!"

Tiki Bree, NO ONE fills out a sarong like you, woman. I Dream of Tiki's Tiki Bree paper doll in the "Hukilau Coloring Book" was appropriately thus equipped, of course. (I MUST learn to sew one of these days!!) My Holy Grail dress is a Shaheen one shouldered sarong, which I will name "My Tiki Bree Dress" whenever I lay my hands on one. ANY one shouldered I find will be named thusly, actually. But every one-shouldered I see in the wild would fit only:

Humuhumu, the woman guaranteed to be the only one who can fit the eensy weensy dresses I drool over enviously. Always accessorized fabulously. I love how Bamboo Purse made it into the Disney Anny clothes photos!!

And Sven, while only Kilikopela vies with you for the title of Emporer of Orange, you will always appear in my mind in the light blue guayavera you wore at the Kahiki closing. It felt very....Elvis Tasteful.

If there wasn't such a thing as the classification "Elvis Tasteful" before, there is now.

Monkeyman, looks like you have plenty of geographically-close-enough collectors for your photo collage. I eagerly await the viewing!!

TB

Formikahini, you my dear are the personification of a tiki goddess. Your stately visage and enchanting voice was the perfect accessory to Bob Drasnin's concert. I never got to tell you how proud I was of you that night.............beautiful on all levels.

MonkeyMan, I'm in, I got a few things here and there... hehehee
But, I'm in Seattle, drat, kinda far away.
Tiki Vixen, hmmm, I'd be willing to take some
of those items just hanging out in the tubs!

Sign me up for any photos in vintage wear! Lemme know, I'm in!

Oh and where is Mattfink and his lovely wife! I'm sure they have some gooooooood stuff too!

Pea

Sweetpea, I will be in Seattle the two days prior to the NW Crawl

I have about 20 vintage dresses that have been altered to be shortened or to fit better. And of course . . . purses to match! Tiki Bree you do have awesome 60's clothing as well as top notch Hawaiian dresses altered to be the swankiest!!!! As I am posting this . . .. I am listening to your CD - Ricochet Kisses.

Unfortunately, Neptune Tiki only has a few vintage shirts due to the ones we find not being quite big enough!

Hey Monkeyman, did you get any garmental pictures at Tiki Oasis?

No. My wife had the still camera for a wedding she was attending on the same weekend. It was all video for me.

Pages: 1 34 replies