Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What would you buy?

Pages: 1 14 replies

C

If you had $1,000 to purchase a rum collection, what would they be and why?

C

52 views and not a single reply? Hmmmmm. I did search for the subject, so if this has been discussed before I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

B

Okay, with that kind of cash, start with the El Dorado 25-year-old Demerara Special Reserve, the Millennium. Drink it and then buy three more.

B

Caerthe, for a serious response:
First search favorite rum. That will give you an idea of what a lot of people like.
Secondly, buy Beachbum Berry's books, Grog Log and Intoxica! Besides the best recipes, they both provide descriptions of different rums.

F
foamy posted on Sat, Mar 18, 2006 5:05 AM

A case of Mount Gay Eclipse: because it's my standard shot rum and tastes great and it gets drunk around here like it's water.

Goslings Black Seal: it's the only rum to make a Dark n' Stormy with.

Appleton Estates 18 year old: gotta have Mai Tai rum.

Meyers Dark: universal rum and an ingredient in a lot of good mixed drinks. Plus, if you mix it half n' half with Mt. Gay, you get a decent mix for Mai Tai's.

Lemon Hart Demerara and 151: Zombies and whatever. Good stuff.

Pyrat XO: just 'cause I like the fancy bottle and I like Anguilla.

Malibu or some other coconut rum: ingredient in tropical drinks.

Mount Gay Sugar Cane: nice on ice. A bit sweeter with a little more vicosity than their standard.

Pusser's: rum and water=grog.

Bacardi white: cocktail ingredient.

That's just my list, other folks can fill out the rest of your order. There's a lot of excellent and more expensive rums out there, I'm sure.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:25:03 ]

C

Excellent info.

Thanks!

I would recommend getting some Lemon Hart Demerara and Demerara 151. Someone else pointed you in the direction of El Dorado Demerara, which I've personally never tried but lots of folks have had good luck with it. Check hitimewine.net for either brand. Also gotta recommend the Appleton 12-yr (black label)--really smooth, good for sippin' or mixin' and not overpriced. I also second the suggestions for Pussers and Barbancourt. Happy shopping!

Don't forget the St. James Martinique Rum!
Maybe spend some for a trip north, bring back a bottle or two of Havanna Club

Hey Caerthe, I was one of the 52 views who didn't respond...in truth I don't know much about exotic R(h)ums, and didn't respond in hopes of not making a fool of myself. (More than usual I mean)

But..since you left the gate open...

The best tasting Rum I've ever had was called Rum Agricole and was not made from Molasses, but rather from Cane Juice, fermented and distilled. What I had was from a French Speaking place as it had the H in Rum, and had a fantastic complexity about it, with tones of Vanilla and Marshmallow

Besides the hard to score Cubans which everyone speaks so highly of, I am really intrigued by the resurgence of Rum making in the Canadian Maritime Provinces. It's just for the novelty of it. (called Skreech there)

Cheers

T

On 2006-03-21 20:11, Gigantalope wrote:

The best tasting Rum I've ever had was called Rum Agricole and was not made from Molasses, but rather from Cane Juice, fermented and distilled. What I had was from a French Speaking place as it had the H in Rum, and had a fantastic complexity about it, with tones of Vanilla and Marshmallow

There are several Agricole rums from Martinique being imported by this company:

http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/index.htm

On 2006-03-21 15:48, Tikiwahine wrote:
Don't forget the St. James Martinique Rum!

How about having a Japanese friend send you some Manuia Tahiti 80 proof Vanilla Rhum?

(While you're at it pic up some Lychee Avatea!)

C

Aloha everyone

Wow! Thanks for all of the great info and reading suggestions. I will definitely be picking up a copy of the Grog Log. Toooo many mentions of this great tome, for me to not pick this up.

Regarding your recommendations, I obviously don't have extensive knowledge of Rum and I've read that many rums are best mixed. However, a select few are good for sipping. Which category would your suggestions fall into?

C

My question was outside of Foamy's suggestions.

Pages: 1 14 replies