Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are tiki torches the best surving symbol of tiki (next to tikis themselves)?

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

On 2008-04-27 19:53, BrickHorn wrote:
I swung by the local Wal-Mart today and - lo and behold! - the evil megastore stocks a full line of Tiki-brand torches. $15 will buy you a pretty nice-looking torch. I think I need to stock up before the summer drinkin' season commences.

Does this qualify as a Tiki torch?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10671122

A pic to prove that Caliente Tropics once carried a torch (or two) for Tiki...

...But perhaps not for much longer.

Pray to the Tiki Gods that it NOT be so!!!

Cheers! :drink:

On second thought, better make that a DOUBLE! :drink: :drink:

And now let's sing: " :tiki: :tiki: :tiki: in the :tiki: room!"

TT

Here is a tiki torch even Sven would call "Tiki"!

and with the cap off and his wick showing :)....

Got 4 of these guys several years ago. They live in the Lava Lounge and I don't light them indoors!! The sun here in Sacramento would eat these alive in one drinking season (oh, wait...we have drinking season all year!) so in one summer they would be destroyed. Only 2 had the metal poles, the other 2 are on bamboo. Still..a REAL tiki torch!!

:drink:
Tacky

[ Edited by: Tacky Tiki 2009-05-09 16:02 ]

W

Although the tiki tourches of old may be almost gone and forgotten, here is a distributer that sells new gas fired outdoor torches in the "tiki" style:

http://www.finesgasappliance.com/products/torch.ht

T

I came across this copy of Perfect Home Magazine a few weeks ago. There is an article titled "Decorative Lighting For Your Outdoor Living Room." The example on the cover is the coolest example though.

Some more classics. Since the "Tiki Torch" was trademarked, there became others.

Mai Kai Torches

Tropic Torches

Another Tiki Torch ad

Lets see if we can keep this post as the Tiki Torch location as it has a lot of momentum.

DC

Great thread. long live the tiki torch not garden torches. What were they thinking? :/.

M

Here are two large Tiki Torches I found.
I don't think they are Durant-Irvine torches as they have dished bottoms and the DIs seem to have a flat bottom to the cone.

That is a score, Murph.

Murph,

You given those bad boys a test run yet?

Here we have the Gold anodized Tiki Torch, sweet!

DC

Q

Fortunately, there are still a few quality Tiki torch options out there. I'm partial to the classic cone style. Here are a couple citronella versions from buytikitorches, who is a member here:

or the inverted cone style sometimes referred to as Kona torches:

The classic cone style is also available in black instead of copper, but either way, they're not inexpensive. The classic cone style will set you back about $50 and the "Kona" style is about $40 and available here:
https://www.buytikitorches.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Haven't dealt with them personally, but they're also on Amazon and seem to have been around for a while. I have the Kona style torches in copper and they're really nicely made.

Aloha all. I just got a set of 6 of the Durant-Irvine Hawaiian Luau torches in vintage used condition. Overall very good shape on all of them. I will probably only use 2 or 3 myself. I can send pics to anyone interested and will try a and post a few on here in the next couple days. PM me if you'd like pics. Mahalo.

Here is a cool mid-century ad for home decor featuring a great outdoor space with Tiki Torches.

DC

Pages: 1 2 60 replies