Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

SNEAKY TIKI (also Joe's Sneaky Tiki ), San Leandro, CA (bar)

Pages: 1 10 replies

M

Name:SNEAKY TIKI (also Joe's Sneaky Tiki )
Type:bar
Street:14572 E 14th St
City:San Leandro
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This bar had a great neon Tiki sign outide. I used to drive by it often in the Eighties, but never went in. My old boss used to go to it in the late 70's/early 80's when it was a tough biker bar with the customer's all packing weapons!
I rec'd an email recently from someone who used to help his dad clean the place when Joe Denton AND Don Groom ran it. Don was also the bartender who was "REALLY good at kicking out people who were not nice.
It was a full blown Hawaiian bar all the way, They even had a few Don Ho records on the juke box. I don't remember when they closed but my dad said that Don owns a bar elsewhere now. Ya know.... tell a kid these days that they had Hawaiian bars and they will say that it sounds stupid, but Hawaiian bars were VERY cool- " end quote.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-28 17:45 ]

[ Edited by: MRSMILEY 2006-04-25 12:15 ]

Here’s a copy of their matchbook,

My very best Alohas

Bosko

M

There was just a guy at FI talking about this place last night. Strange. He said it was great inside. No other info, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the matchbook image! I updated the address info.

A quick Yahoo yellow pages search turns this up!
"Tabou Lounge & Nightclub
(510) 357-7777 14572 E 14th St
San Leandro, CA "
A quick Yahoo search on "Tabou Lounge San Leandro" brought up some mentions on Soul/R&B on Gay/Lesbian web postings.

I came across these items from the Joes Sneaky Tiki on ebay.

Business card from Joe Denton, lighter and key ring.

The info from the sale stated:

The Sneaky Tiki, or Joe's Sneaky Tiki, was a Hawaiian bar in San Leandro, California that operated until at least the 1980's. At some point it was run by Joe Denton and Don Groom; Don was a bartender. After it closed, the space later became Tabou Lounge, and Club Caliente.

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-06-24 16:35 ]

GREAT FINDS, DC!

I found 5 of these glasses a few weeks ago

Never saw this thread!

For what it's worth, here's its location today (the right unit in this two-unit building).

Matchbook from the Sneaky Tiki. Intriguing place, wonder what the sign looked like?

DC

Drink list on the back of the matchbook. Couple of odd ones in there.

DC

O
Otto posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2023 4:13 PM

Fiji Blackout • 1.5 oz Fresh Lime Juice • 1 oz Maple Syrup • 2 oz Plantation Isle of Fiji Dry shake the ingredients. Pour over ice. Okolemaluna!

Pages: 1 10 replies