Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disney Remodels Polynesian Resort

Pages: 1 22 replies

Disney remodels

The Contemporary and Polynesian resorts get room makeovers.

Christopher Boyd
Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted March 30 2006

Renovations under way at two of Walt Disney World's original resorts demonstrate the theme park's obsession with perpetual self-renewal.

The Contemporary and Polynesian hotels will soon emerge from a major face-lift aimed at putting rooms on par with those in the region's newest resorts. Every five or six years, Disney gives its rooms a makeover, changing furniture, revamping bathrooms and installing the latest technology.

"What we are doing is really a complete redesign of the rooms," said Kevin Myers, Disney World's vice president for resort operations and transportation. "We generally stay on a certain cycle."

The two hotels opened in 1971, the same year that Disney World was born. They've both undergone substantial changes since, but theme park officials say the current revamping is particularly ambitious.

The 1,008-room Contemporary, which resembles a giant A-Frame house with a monorail running through its center, was a strikingly futuristic structure when it opened. Its lines still seem sleek, and the regular arrival of streamlined trains still conjures visions of a futuristic world.

But the rooms hadn't kept up. So Disney hired designers to give them a new look that hints of Asian decor and incorporates features such as flat-screen televisions and high-tech workspaces that appeal to business travelers as well as tourists.

"We've steered to the idea that the Contemporary is a convention resort," Myers said. With nightly rates reaching $725, it caters to well-heeled travelers.

Like the Contemporary, the Polynesian is retaining its basic design -- 10 buildings clustered about a main lobby. The renovated rooms will contain visual references to the South Seas with a modern, casual feel aimed at family vacation guests, Myers said.

Disney would not discuss the costs of the renovation projects.

Hotel-room renovations are, for myriad reasons, routine lodging-industry practice. Any room that changes occupants on a near-daily basis tends to take its share of punishment. But it is also important for rooms to reflect current trends in interior design -- particularly if the hotel commands top prices.

"People expect to see something a little nicer in a hotel room than they have at home," said Peter Yesawich, chairman of the YPB&R marketing firm in Orlando. "During the past five to seven years, people have spent a lot on enhancing their homes. So it is harder for hotel operators to keep up with things that people have installed in their own houses."

Yesawich said the latest multimedia center and bathroom designs are important -- something Disney embraced in the Contemporary.

As new luxury-hotel construction continues in Central Florida, Yesawich said it is crucial for old upscale resorts to keep up appearances.

"The competition is clearly raising the bar," Yesawich said. "That is the case in Orlando with the upper-end hotels that have come along in the last five years."

Abe Pizam, dean of the Rosen College of Hospitality Management at the University of Central Florida, said major makeovers like the ones under way at Disney are important, but less sweeping updates are generally part of the routine at premium resorts.

"Most decent hotel companies have a policy on renovations," Pizam said. "They have policies on hard and soft renovations. Some . . . have a policy of renovating everything -- hard renovations -- every four years and renovations of everything soft, the fabrics for instance, every two years. In a good hotel, there is usually some work being done all the time."

Now I want the Coconut Bread Pudding they serve at Ohana...

When I close my eyes I see dumpsters filling up with floats, tikis, spears, masks.... AAAAAaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! :o

J

On 2006-03-30 07:42, bigkahuna627 wrote:
Now I want the Coconut Bread Pudding they serve at Ohana...

How on earth do you have enough room in your belly to eat a dessert at Ohana after all the pork, prawns, turkey and beef that they give you, in addition to all that stuff on the lazy-susan?!?! then, to top it off, they give you the pinapple and caramel! That is my dessert there. I have never been able to look at a dessert menu!

Once you eat it, you will make room!

P
Pyro posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 5:25 PM

While I love this resort the way it is. I am looking foward to getting my hands on some of their tikis and bamboo furniture. Mousesurplus.com sells alot of what Disney gets rid of. Hopefully, something good will go for sale.

N

I'm going there for my honeymoon in March. I couldn't afford to stay there for as long as I wanted so I chose a moderate resort. But I plan to go to the resturaunts and the show.

Is the Spirit of Aloha show any good?

J

On 2006-12-13 11:42, Noner wrote:
Is the Spirit of Aloha show any good?

I haven't really heard any good things about the show so go at your own risk. I can however vouch that the drinks at the Tambu Lounge aren't that bad. Tested out a Zombie there a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased:)

While I didn't stay at the Polynesian I would say it was still somewhat tikified on the inside. I wanted to walk the grounds but didn't have the time. I used to love to hunt down the tikis hidden in the foliage - maybe next trip!

K

I have not been to the luau in many years but a couple of weekends ago Tiki Kiliki, Pooch and Chip and Andy were in town so we decided to take a road trip out to the Polynesian Village in search of tikis. The property had a higher TIPSY factor than I remembered and it was a great day taking in the tiki sights. Here are some of the images that filled our afternoon at the village..........

Tiki Gardens.......

Ohana Resturant....

On walkabout through the village.......

At the lagoon......

I won't wait so long to return to this Polynesian paradise. Even though there was a plethora of tiki sightings, hanging out with fellow TCers was the best part of the day :)

Karbora

G

Good pictures Karbora! Sorry we couldn't join you that afternoon. Looks like you had a great time.

Golly and to think I've been high-hatting the Polynesian. Maybe next year I'll get there.

P

I'm goin' back to Walt Disney World for 5 nights next month (Jan), and you can bet I'm gonna spend at least one night visiting the Poly! I love the smell you get when entering The Great Ceremonial House. That smell of orchids or whatever it is, hasn't changed since 1971! :)

My daughter and son in law work at Disney - she is often at the Poly - and they love hanging out over there. Next visit I will make sure to go since I've not been there yet. The pics were awesome.

On 2009-01-05 14:11, thisoldhippie wrote:
My daughter and son in law work at Disney - she is often at the Poly - and they love hanging out over there. Next visit I will make sure to go since I've not been there yet. The pics were awesome.

Definitely go, it is a beautiful resort. Honestly the pics don't quite do it justice. Be sure to check it out at night when the torches or on.

Couple of pics from my last visit:

I can't believe I haven't gone there yet. My daughter recently went to the luau and while she wasn't that impressed with the food, (she and her husband are chefs - he is at Liberty Tree in Magic Kingdom, she is in entertainment at Disney but works as a pastry chef on the side), and she had a hard time seeing the show because she's so short, she loves the Poly resort itself. She has worked several weddings there and loves the look.

Here are a few of the pics from her last visit.

G

There's something wrong with this picture.

You mean ....that is ...IN-AUTHENTIC !!? :o
:wink:

I told you she wasn't that thrilled with the luau! LOL. Yes, I noticed the tennies right off as well. I'm not sure why they had them on because earlier no one was wearing them.

G

On 2009-01-06 18:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
You mean ....that is ...IN-AUTHENTIC !!? :o
:wink:

Well, you see Sven, let me explain. This may be new to you. It's not authenticity we're after, it's the illusion of authenticity, so ... :wink:

The Polynesian Resort should be regular stop on anyone's Disney World adventure. If you're strapped for cash, it's not really necessary to book a room, which can be quite pricey. Guests at other Disney resorts are welcome to enjoy the great views, food and drinks. Here are some shots from February, when Hurricane Hayward and Violetgirl spent several days and nights there. We couldn't get enough ...

The front valet area:

More to come ...

The main lobby and gift shop:

Cool rug patterns:

To be continued ...

Much interesting detail on the buildings:

Incredibly scenic pool views (note Magic Kingdom castle in the background):

The poolside beach is a great spot to catch the nightly fireworks.

Looking for great food at a reasonable price? Try the sushi at Kona Cafe:

Then it's a nightcap at the Tambu Lounge:

The best tropical drinks on the menu are the Lapu Lapu and the Back Scratcher:

Good to the last scratch:

The end.

Pages: 1 22 replies