Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Looking for 2nd coolest thing for behind bar

Pages: 1 14 replies

R

The 2nd because the coolest thing is that working Volcano at the Kona Club.

BTW, looks like I might have a little preview party in time for the NW Tiki Crawl.

Oh, and my bamboo guy, his home is a part of the crawl this year.

Yes, there will already be a waterfall, and a bridge, so those are out.
Robertiki
PS, I can't get the latest TikibarTV thing to work, anyone else have that problem?

How bout a fire breathing tiki??

My friend STONE at http://www.fusedmetals.com can do it for ya!

(forgot the damn www.!)

Arrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-04-01 20:06 ]

A real, live, fez wearing monkey that can fetch mugs for you.

Martiki's rain lamp.
(Oh ya, and a prostitute.)

H

I always wanted a monkey shaped hole high in the distant wall, that, at the sound of a gong would expel a live fez-wearing monkey riding a miniature unicycle across a tightrope toward the bar. Using cocktail umbrellas in each hand for balance, he would zip across the room, screeching chimpy gibberish, to spear a couple maraschinos, deposit them in drinks, and disappear just as quickly. My bar patter would never falter and I would carry on as if nothing astonishing had occurred.

On 2006-04-02 13:48, hodadhank wrote:
I always wanted a monkey shaped hole high in the distant wall, that, at the sound of a gong would expel a live fez-wearing monkey riding a miniature unicycle across a tightrope toward the bar. Using cocktail umbrellas in each hand for balance, he would zip across the room, screeching chimpy gibberish, to spear a couple maraschinos, deposit them in drinks, and disappear just as quickly. My bar patter would never falter and I would carry on as if nothing astonishing had occurred.

Unicycle riding monkey.

Motorized unicycle riding bear, which should be easily modifyable into a monkey.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-04-02 15:52 ]

R

Ok, the weird thing about Oregon, is the little burger joint called Alf's in McMinnville. There, while you are eating, are monkeys, picking their butts, looking for lice, or just general monkey business.

Very freaking strange place, yet I'm oddly drawn to it whenever I'm in wine country.

No monkeys.

H

Mahalo Freddie! Now if I can only get it to scream and work as barback!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 7:46 PM

Me! Well at least at my bar...

I like the trained monkey idea though, its got a lot of merit. If it is a business you can even claim monkey food back on tax!

I've been thinking about this a lot and I think that the coolest thing that you can have behind a bar is a staff that knows what they are doing and appreciates the fact that a tiki bar is more than just a bar. Knowing that a part of a history and are proud of it would make all the difference.

Well that is a given.

So many Portland bars are edgy, for the point of just being edgy.I didn't go out for a dose of attitude.

I'm looking for career bartenders, not people who are just doing this until their real career kicks in.

I've a line on an old TV bartender who would run the show.

Fresh fruit, no mixers.

I hate to do it, because I really don't like copying others work, but man-o-man that Kona Club volcano is cool. I've even asked all my advertising and creative buddies to come up with something.

No one can top the volcano.

PS, Denny's on Janzen Beach is the last unmolested denny's in the country. It has never been remodeled and still has all the Armet and Davis elements.

http://www.googieart.com/Dennys1547.htm

Armet and Davis were So Cal's top notch "Googie" architects and also did many tiki joints including these.

http://www.googieart.com/Tonga.htm

http://www.googieart.com/Tahiti.htm

The reason I bring all this up...Sunday, Denny's will close for what I can imagine will be a crap remodel. I get all the booths and Eames Chairs. These will go into the new tiki bar.

It's good to hear that the booths and chairs will be rescued. I realized that my comment was obvious but sometimes the things that go unsaid are forgotten. Was their an announcement on the name of the new place yet? Any news would be great as I look forward to when I can come up and see the place.

Oh, I have a name.

A simple and good name.

I'm just waiting for all the LLC stuff to go through, registring web-sites, phone numbers, all that.
Robert

Robert, did you ever come up with something you liked? I'm starting on my second cup of coffee & my brain's started popping stuff out of it:

• Tiki Fireplace (ala the Kahiki or Lucky Tiki)

image courtesy of Sabina

• Tiki Fountain
  • Combination Tiki Fountain & Fire Feature (ala the Kahiki's "George")

image courtesy of Sabina

• Completely cover the ceiling & upper walls with low wattage lamps: pufferfish, bamboo faces, "coolie" hats, fish traps, lucite-filled bamboo segments, net floats, etc.
  • Pufferfish Chandelier!
  • Coconut Monkey Mug Club display covering the ceiling above the bar.
  • "Mystery Drink" analogue, served by your choice of bikini clad young man or woman.
  • "Everything served on fire" specials.
  • A shrine to sacrifice virgins on.
  • a floor mosaic depicting a coral & fish filled lagoon that turns into sea-lapped sandy shore's edge at the bar.
  • Dress the barback as a fez wearing monkey. :wink:
  • Hire a bartender that looks like this:

• Get the Jab to fill your jukebox.
  • Make the restrooms Jungle-themed with bird calls & monkey screams in the air, images of lush foliage on the walls, and the sound of rain in the distance.
  • Hide the bathroom doors behind shields with a Witco-esque Man/Woman symbol mounted on each.
  • Large volcano bowls or coconut mugs with mister "smoke generators" inserted into them behind the bar.

I also keep thinking about a wooden Tiki outlined by Neon or electroluminescent wire.

T

Large-size aquarium/tank set into one of the walls (or floor!) with hired mermaid (or Creature of the Black Lagoon, or both) swimming about. Much more $$$ though, obviously!

Pages: 1 14 replies