Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Flea Market Documentary on t.v.

Pages: 1 2 replies

TT

I just watched a program on my local PBS station here in Minnesota. The title: A Flea Market Documentary by Rick Sebak.

Rick goes around the country to various markets and talks to vendors and customers. Rose Bowl, Texas, Seattle, and Pittsburgh to name a few. I spotted a few tiki mugs at the Rose Bowl market and a BIG tiki carving at the Texas market. The Pittsburgh market is crazy with lines of people paying $50 to get in early in the morning.

Not exactly Tiki crazy, but I'm guessing a good amount of 'us' here on TC are in to this type of thing. Give it a watch if you can.

TT

Almost forgot to mention that Rick (documentary guy) told a woman in Washington D.C. that her stuff was the best. When asked what she would call 'it' she replied, "I guess retro, you know 50's, 60's, tiki."

R
rupe33 posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 8:37 PM

Rick's shows are terrific, they're always fun. He's done ones about the various neighborhoods of Pittsburgh, including one called "Things That Aren't There Anymore," which became the basis for shows produced by a lot of other local stations. Some of his other ones that have gone out nationally that are really good too are:
A Hot Dog Show
A Program About Unusual Buildings And Other Roadside Stuff
An Ice Cream Show
Sandwiches You Will Like
Great Old Amusement Parks
Pennsylvania Diners And Other Roadside Restaurants

Some of them are out on DVD, but should be fairly easy to find on your local PBS station too. Definitely worth checking out!

cheers,
Rupe
(formerly of Pittsburgh)

Pages: 1 2 replies