Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Need pre-done tiki finger foods

Pages: 1 11 replies

P
pablus posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 6:06 AM

Look, I love cooking for people as much or more than anyone, but I need a break from the kitchen when throwing Lagoon Lounge Luaus.

I want to play more and I hear the Kats jamming out there while I'm forging ahead in the kitchen. It's OK but it could be better.

I got the drinks thing down by mixing large bowls of 3-4 kinds of drink, but try as I might, I can't get the real food out of the way fast enough.

I already have the finger foods: nuts, cheese and crakers, fruit, candied ginger, cookies, a couple of cold dishes that most enjoy but...

...I'd like to use this thread as a gathering place for certain recipes that can be predone, warmed up and served and would still fit within the tiki theme and still be as delicious as the ones I've used often from here such as Sabu's recipe - Vainui's recipe - my own offerings.

I want to play more. Help me. Scour the earth and bring me those recipes.

(please?)

I have a wickedly heinous, if not sacrilegious suggestion. 'Cuz I know that's what I would do.

Costco.

Large containers of pre-cooked frozen stuff (Kahiki frozen foods apps, sorbets in real fruit containers, etc). Defrost, Warm up & serve. Fresh already cooked shrimp. Dips galore. Large key lime pies. Etc.

The mass quantity food supplier is there. Seize the creative opportunity. :wink:
Best wishes for by passing the perpetual cooking.

K

I have to agree with the Kahiki frozen stuff. It is quite good. The eggrols, chicken whatchacallits, and the general tso's are all top notch.

The Columbus folk heat those up for get togethers all the time.

Frozen crab rangoon can be found at many groceries, skewered beef can be premade and held in marinade to go to the grill, scallop rumake can be assembled and frozen and then tossed in the oven, and short ribs can be fully cooked and sauced the night before and just heated up right from the fridge as well.

Ahu

W

Tip: If you wanna serve somethin hot get some hot plates. There's no point of goin to the extra hassle of makin hot snacks and havin 'em stone cold in 15 minutes. Hot plates are easy thrift shop/garage sale finds. Test 'em before buyin, and make sure the cord is good.

Usin' a long hot plate and 3 small globe like Pyrex dishes I occasionally set up a hot nut bar. Three different kinds of nut kept warm by the the hot plate. Yes, it's true: People like hot nuts. (I figured I'd better just say it before half a dozen members chimed in.) Asian style soup spoons (cheap at the Asian grocers) make good scoops fer the nuts...And any lil finger foods yuhs erve so folks aren't diggin' their dirty hands into the bowls of Goldfish or M&Ms.

Edamame (soy beans) I've brought up here before. They come frozen in bags, yuh dump 'em into boilin' water, drain, sprinkle with big salts and serve 'em warm, Always popular.

Also mentioned before, popular and easy: Skewers of SPAM with chunks of pineapple and red onion. They cook up fairly fast on the grill and as it's SPAM yuh pretty much don't have to worry about the meat gettin to the right temperature. They have a retro quality to 'em plus yuh can blow yer guests minds with the information about how popular SPAM is among Pacific Islanders and other SPAM info.

If yuh wanna go more high tone use a precooked ham in the skewers. Or go with chicken satay which is easy to make ahead and re-heat.

Costco sells the Kahiki "Very Tiki Luau Party Platter"

which is:
Lemongrass Chicken Stix
Chipotle-Lime Chicken Potstickers
Coconut-curry Chicken Samoas
Tempura Chicken Nuggets

all deep fried and overly filling. Box "serves 10 to 12" and comes with sauces.

I do have to agree with the above mentioned Crab Rangoon & Chicken Satay, they're always a favorite and easy to prepare ahead of time.

how about frozen White Castles?

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2006-04-08 09:15 ]

RB

Costco also has coconut shrimp with a mango chutney dipping sauce. It's from (duck) Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville line...so if you want to stay out of that fray, discard the box right away!

On 2006-04-08 08:55, woofmutt wrote:
Yes, it's true: People like hot nuts.

warning! nudity upon following link!

Not only does woofmutt have hot nuts, but apparently, so does Tony
(Have a look at the last song, in the last image)

H

How about a hot dish you start early in the morning in the crock pot. You let it cook for hours until the evening and it will stay hot and you don't need to fuss over it. I usually cook a great big roast in there for hours and everyone loves it. I know it is not exactly in the tiki theme, but everyone loves it and usually it is almost all gone before the night is over. And best of all you don't have to do anything once you start it and you can serve it in the same pot you are making it in. I can give you the exact recipe if you are interested just pm me. I hope you have a crock pot. :)

scallops wrapped with bacon Magnifico!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:42 ]

J

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They've got these potstickers that are super easy to prepare and taste pretty damn good... go nice with a Mai Tai!

C

Large platter of Sushi Rolls/Ca Rolls. Go along way and are beautiful.

This is a great make ahead.

Take a nice pack of danish ham (in the rectangle shape package or fresh sliced from the deli).

1 pk of GREEN ONION dip mix
1 8 oz. pk cream cheese (or light)
Favorite tootpicks
Wax paper

This can me made 2 days ahead of time.

Soften cream cheese and add dip mix & blend.

Take a slice (or 2 if it's too thin) and lay on paper towel to get excess moisture. Spread a thing layer, then roll. Make as much as the dip allows, rolling wax paper around the ham log (I know the jokes are coming). Store the ham logs wrapped in wax paper in a storage bag in the fridge.

When it's time for party. Slice in 1/4" and toothpick em.

Yummy!
Cyniki

Pages: 1 11 replies