Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Putting it into words

Pages: 1 3 replies

I'm getting ready to move my Hawaiian/Exotica record collection from the floor of a closet into a big shelf with nine cubby holes. While trying to organize my stacks into some logical order, I came across a cool liner note that I hadn't read before and wanted to share it. I'm starting this thread, in hopes others may want to post other great/funny/weird notes from the back of their Polynesian lps. It is amazing how similar a lot of the notes are, and how contorted some of the language can be.

Here's mine to get started...

"Where in the world is there a music lover who has not been captivated by popular songs about Hawaii and the South Seas islands? When, if only during rapt moments at Trader Vic's or Don the Beachcomber's, has anyone not wished that he could be transported by those melodies into some foreground of tropical reality? These Pacific moods will serve as a means of transport, as well as any recordings can. Be it Oahu, Tahiti or points further distant, there is a place here among the imaginary palms for every music dreamer.

RCA Special Productions Presents... Song of the Islands, 1972

Rapt moments indeed!
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-04-08 12:57 ]

Here's another one that I like..

Bob Pauhaleokapioanaokeanuenueokalani Davis, with a smile as big as his name and the engaging personality came to Oahu from the the southern-most island in the Hawaiian chain, know to Kamaainas as "the Big Island." He typifies the characteristics of all island people - warm friendliness, talent and a sincere love and personal concern for all people, one to ninety-one! Unlike many young people, Bob has a particular fondness for our Senior Citizen and this has endeared him to all but especially delighted this group.

Doubling as host and entertainer at the Halekulani Hotel before going on to become Cruise Host aboard Matson's S.S. Luline, Bob's friends are legion. Honolulu columnist Eddie Sherman once reported: "One of Waikiki's Biggest Smiles: Bob Davis greeting guests at the Halekulani."

His dance interpretations of "Manaloa" and "Laupahoehoe Hula" are as famous and popular as his songs and we have included these two numbers on this, Bob's very first and long-awaited album.

Bob Davis on the S.S. Luline, Recorded in Hawaii on Tradewinds Records

IZ

from the Viva records release Lonely Harpsichord "rainy night in shangri-la"

“This is the utopian album for young Romantics – it was designed to make every flirtation an affair to remember. The soft sounds of rain develop an interesting background for the melodic strains of a harpsichord, especially when interwoven into the effect is the sound of distant thunder. Our songs were chosen to reflect the mood of “Shangri-la” – this album can make anyplace a lover’s paradise.” ED SILVERS - Vice President

Sort of like Mystic Moods meets Martin Denny (but on Harpsichord). In fact, there's even a version of Quiet Village on the LP

I, Z

Good contribution I,Zombie. Where would Hawaiian music be without the harpsichord, eh?

How about this great note on the exotica classic KAPU (Forbidden), featuring the Exciting Sounds of Milt Raskin...

"Milton Raskin is an extremely talented pianist, composer and arranger. (He is Johnny Mercer's partner.) Milt exhaustively researched the legends and musical traditions of Hawaii and then wrote modern descriptive compositions to fit the exotic mood of each legend. So the music in KAPU is not only highly original and creative... it is authentic, too.

Using harp, bongos, flutes, marimbas, boo-bams (see side list), accordion, electric organ and piano, Raskin has brought to life the wild throbbing rythms and moving romantic colors of ancient Hawaii. The thrilling tension and final explosion of a volcano is contrasted with the glowing romance and imaginative flower legends. The lazy life near the sea serves as a backdrop for the exciting Moon festival. With each legend, he has distilled the essence of its musical flavor for you to savor for many evenings to come!

Somebody was distilling something when they wrote the above. Give me the wild throbbing rythm of a Hawaiian accordion during the moon festival and I am instantly transported.... :lol:

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-04-12 18:01 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies