Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Art Now versus Tiki Art Then... and the Rebirth in General

Pages: 1 10 replies

Pondering something the other day... and maybe this should be on the "Creating" forum, but some people don't happen by there much.

I'm looking for overall opinions from others who may not be tiki artists but are it's historians... or those who are as passionate about tiki as the artists... hoping a mix of opinions comes in on the "General" thread.

I'm amazed at the huge amount of tiki artists on "Creating." Not only those who make their living from tiki... painting, creating decor, carving tikis... but also the part timers who paint, carve and create for the public and themselves.

I'm also amazed at the number of new artists that find TC and become members every day. Some become part of the Ohana, others fade off in time. Those who stay hold the passion, hone their craft and become part of the new history of tiki and Poly Pop. To what extent... we may learn that later... when one of us is 80 and heaven forbid we drift a bit from tiki then come back. In a vintage store we spy a dusty tiki in a corner... pull it out and blow the dust off to reveal the name... BIGBENZART #10.

Wow! Benzart! I remember him! This tiki hung in Forbidden Island!

Was it like this in tiki's younger years?

Barney West, Bob and Leroy, Milan Guanko, Andres Bumatay... did they know what they and the other's were doing? Did they all say "Hey, this tiki thing is going somewhere... maybe I can make a living at it?" Or did they share a passion in it first... as an artist with the need to express themselves... then find out that it was something that the public desired.

Through Bamboo Ben and his aunt we've learned that the Hedley's started by collecting things for their home, and then discovering it could be a business.

And I haven't even touched on the painters yet. Or those who created tiki mugs for the bars and restaurants.

Did they all feed off of each other? Or found the passion around the same time and converged on the evolving tiki movement?

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Some born artists find TC after honing their art... they come here to share tips and their work. Some to promote, some to share the stoke.

Some learn to become artists through TC. Though a lot of times, an artist is something you are born as, there are many things that you can learn and become very good at. We've seen painters and carvers start from meager beginnings and become extremely talented artists in a matter of years.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Imagine a Tiki Central in early days...

Leroy Schmaltz on "Creating" sharing pictures of a new tiki he's working on.

Ely Hedley sharing pictures of a new tiki palace he's decorating.

Bob and Jack Thornton on "General" announcing the creation of a new place called the "Mai Kai" and sharing teaser pics.

Donn Beach and Victor Bergeron on "Tiki Drinks" discussing the Zombie.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Is it easier for tiki to spread these days with a place like TC? Or a book like TBOT?

Though more diverse than it once was in it's birth...

Are there more tiki artists then there were the first time around, and is it spreading quicker?

Ease in the information age?

And is tiki spreading farther and wider than it did the first time?

If so, why now and not then?

There's a lot to discuss in there... but it has all been on my mind... any insights to any of it would be interesting.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-04-09 21:08 ]

No waves today. Lake?

On 2006-04-09 21:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
No waves today. Lake?

:)

East Wind.

An East would be like a straight West for you guys.

:(

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 10, 2006 3:37 AM

On 2006-04-09 21:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
No waves today. Lake?

hahahaha

Tiki definitely is helped by stuff like the BoT, TC, even well spread artists like Shag. I'm struggling to find other tiki heads to meet up with, but I visit TC and I share space with tiki high rollers such as Benzart, BigBro, Smoggy, Bamboo Ben etc. The fact that these guys take out time to help and assist me with my tiki stuff still blows me away.

I create tiki for kicks. I'm not out to make a living out of it. I have a day job I love, I just want a hobby that doesn't owe me much (makes a nice difference from money eating cars... haha). I'd put myself down as a jack of all creating tiki trades, master of none. I have fun, and enjoy being challenged by other artists to improve my art. But I am continually blown away by the flawless art some artists create.

Tiki will roll on. It may never be as big as the "old days". But these days are ours - and I plan to make the most of em.

I think it holds water that we are creating the new history now, even if (as everybody who knows me knows)I don't believe we should re-invent the old history in the process. I do believe everyone can and should be versed in the roots if they're serious enough to seek out a tiki website, events, etc.; it's a good starting point, and those roots run deep stylistically and should continue to do so if tiki style is going to continue to have any identity. Books may not be, but the worldwide web is cheap. The fun factor is ever-present anyway, so it's a heck of a lot easier with tiki culture. I do think most of the founding fathers basically understood the Polynesian fantasy, started out small, built the illusion more and more elaborately and accurately as they realized it's potential,and made something from nothing.

I just want to be remembered...Something I have left behind for others to enjoy.

I agree with both BK and Monkeyman. A revival becomes a chapter of tiki history. I hope to be contributing to something bigger than just a bunch of escapists having fun. Creating art and creating lasting friendships in this community has made me look at it as something that people will be able to truly appreciate as time marches on. I applaud the people who set the stage. I also applaud the ones willing to create anew.

Well put, Matt. I would have never imagined that the appreciation of the past would bring forward such a wave of creativity and sense of community, it's very gratifying.
To answer one of Lake's questions:

"...Barney West, Bob and Leroy, Milan Guanko, Andres Bumatay... did they know what they and the other's were doing? Did they all say "Hey, this tiki thing is going somewhere... maybe I can make a living at it?" Or did they share a passion in it first... as an artist with the need to express themselves... then find out that it was something that the public desired..."

I am sure they were aware of each other, mainly through Oceanic Arts, who sold their carvings. It was a relatively small business back then. Some carvers (Bumatay/Ellis) worked together, but it also was a very competetive business then, with copying of designs, and snagging jobs. I don't believe they saw themselves as artists, they were individuals who sort of fell into it, trying to make a buck.
Tiki style was never identified as a pop culture genre in it's own day. Ignored by critics, it was maybe mentioned in a few restaurant industry magazines, that's all. Most people at the time, except a few insiders like Bob and Leroy, were not aware of the scope and pervasiveness of the phenomenon.

Ancient Tiki, 50s Tiki and nouveaux Tiki are inexorably linked and related, but also quite different in their own right...one could write a book about it!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-04-10 19:44 ]

BigBro: speaking of Tiki history and writing a big book, how's the progress of the Witco book coming along? I am looking forward to that one!

[i]On 2006-04-10 03:37, hewey wrote:

Tiki definitely is helped by stuff like the BoT, TC, even well spread artists like Shag.

Shag and the BoT appear to be poised to usher tiki back into the mainstream. These two tiki icons alone seem to have enabled tiki to transcend from a quirky historical subculture into the mainstream - where possibly new artists have become inspired.

His art is everywhere, not just in galleries, but also on wrapping paper, phone book covers, etc. I am sure that this summer, Target's back-to-school line will feature his work (or a knock-off).

He also is a media darling, having front page spreads in the LA Times and interviews on NPR.

Similarly, the BoT, and paperback TikiStyle, by its widespread popularity, have enabled the mainstream to isntantly catch-up on tiki history. Also,this book has no doubt inspired countless other artists than otherwise possible, or likely.

bump

Pages: 1 10 replies