Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Hawaiian Hut, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

M

Too bad it was such a well kept secret-I would have loved to check it out the last time we were in Waikiki- especially since La Mariana had closed early that night due to power issues. RAZZ!

HOK

On 2010-09-01 15:49, Phillip Roberts wrote:

btw, La Mariana did buy some items from the Hawaiian Hut and are now on display there.

Some picts from a few weeks ago....

They also got the cool restroom sign....

Also some bamboo at the entrance where Corky used to be... (Corky the parrot is upstairs now)

HOK

On 2010-07-17 09:41, christiki295 wrote:
Is the Hawaiian Hut at the Ala Moana Hotel shuttered, or redone and de-tikified?

Kinda all of the above.... Warning....some disturbing images...
about a month ago to one week ago...

Large resin Maori Tikis above stage...

some left over posts....

more carved panels...

After the demo crew...

A bin full of seat cushions...

An old picture of the Hawaiian Hut floor show from 1970:

Saw this on Craigslist....originally from Hawaiian Hut, currently in Geckos collection... Freddie

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/atq/2335836148.html

[ Edited by: house of ku 2011-04-26 00:43 ]

That looks like one of the posts around the bandstand I photographed during the floor show:

I'll never forgive myself that I called it the "HULA Hut" in Tiki Modern, arrrrgh! :blush: One of the three grave mistakes/typos in that book.

Cool pict BigBro....da ole Hot Foot...:)

Here is the full ad from the restaurant guide for the Hawaiian Hut that Sabu posted a pic from earlier in this thread. The buffet and Tavana's floor show, sure looks like fun.

DC

Funny, I just posted this in the Waikiki Tiki Thread.

HOK

Ha! The majority of these are from the Oceanic Arts catalog. Made in Whittier, CA. :)

:) This seller is known to embellish the history of items....many found at the swapmeets :roll:

On 2011-08-15 00:54, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
:) This seller is known to embellish the history of items....many found at the swapmeets :roll:

Quote:
On 2011-08-14 07:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha! The majority of these are from the Oceanic Arts catalog. Made in Whittier, CA.

Just to clarify: I was not suggesting with the above that these carvings are NOT from the Hawaiian Hut. I believe they are, they do look 60s/70s vintage. I was merely pointing out that (together with the Tahitian/Marquesan tourist carvings that Spence Weaver decorated his places with) there was a good number of imported O.A.-made pieces that decorated his and many other Waikikian Tiki temples. My favorite location for O.A. decor was the Bishop Museum cafeteria. :)

I just drove by it.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-05-20 03:40 ]

Aloha,

It's all gone now. The A-Frame was sheered off. Like it was never there...

Fortunately, I have pictures to prove the opposite.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-05-20 04:02 ]

Sh*t! I guess I waited too long to check back in...
They wanted a couple hundred for the center Moari Tiki and
one of the side ones. The center one looked pretty weathered and
possible termite damage/wood rot...looks like a piece broke off
awhile ago.

HOK

Saw this fella on Ebay...Almost got it...Again :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271016060156?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Stands 30 1/2" in height, 13" at its top and 9 3/4" at the bottom
Carved from a coconut tree stump
Modeled after the tekoteko or koruru of New Zealand
Lots of great details- tongue outstretched, bulbous eyes, patu in hand and painted decorations
From the Hawaiian Hut, which was part of the famous Spencecliff restaurants of Honolulu
Seems to have been attached to a pole at some point, two large nails are present
Appears to have been outdoors for some time, has a great weathered look.
Aloha, Freddie

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2012-07-23 15:04 ]

Here is another photo of the Hawaiian Hut floor show from a Spencecliff restaurant guide book I have.

Nice view of the Tiki poles that framed the stage.

The floor show at the time was Kalo's South Seas Revue.

DC

Found this today

Pages: 1 2 67 replies