Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

pyrat rum

Pages: 1 21 replies

...just scored a bottle of this at the liquor store down the street ( also known as 'the candy store')
for $15--they said this was a DEAL at the counter. I think I recall seeing this for a lot more--any of you lushes had any experience with this brand yet?

M

I never bought any myself but when I need an idea about prices I search of froogle.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pyrat+rum&btnG=Search+Froogle

Q

If you guys have a Trader Joe's near you, they carry it for $9.99. It's a decent rum made by the same people that make the Patron brand tequila (this stuff is awesome if you like tequila). This distillery also makes a very good triple sec, which I believe is also carried by Trader Joe's for around $14.99.

so I didn't really 'score'---oh well. Knew it was made by the Patron people so it has to be pretty tasty. Our Trader Joes in AZ have no hard liquor--its weird. I 've been to the CA ones and found lots of great stuff. Tried the Reverb winner on this site last night--pretty darn good drink.

Um, depends on the type of rum you got. Pyrat makes a couple different types of rum, some, like an XO reserve can go for $30 to $40 normal priced, on sale, maybe $20. The white/silver/clear whatever you call it that Pyrat makes occassionally shows up at BevMo for $9.99 but I haven't seen it there in a while.
I've generally been pretty pleased with Pyrat rums, the XO is very nice for sipping.

On 2006-04-19 12:53, TikiJosh wrote:
The white/silver/clear whatever you call it that Pyrat makes occassionally shows up at BevMo for $9.99 but I haven't seen it there in a while.
I've generally been pretty pleased with Pyrat rums, the XO is very nice for sipping.

actually it is $7.99 at trader joe's right now. stock up this is one of the best white rums in my opinion.

TF

I carry all of these fine Patron Rum products. Indeed those trader Joe's prices are sick. They probably buy a ton of this stuff so take advantage. I am not so sure the Cask or the XO go for such a song though. Pyrat rum is a wonderful spirit in a great package for a fair price. For anyone wondering about the little Chinese or Kanji character on the package, in Japanese at least, it means Sake which is a heading for all booze. Pyrat is damn good booze!

T.F.

On 2006-04-19 18:15, Tiki Fink wrote:
I carry all of these fine Patron Rum products. Pyrat is damn good booze!

Damn a full fledged booze vendor!?!? here's a term i don't use often: you gotta hook a brotha up! :wink:

i've never had the chance to try the cask 23(not that you would ever want to mix it at over $200 a bottle) but the XO is also quite fine. i make my mai tais with XO and westarhall rum. westerhall is another west indies rum.

i ain't drunk.......i'm jus drankin. albert collins

[ Edited by: the drunken hat 2006-04-19 20:21 ]

M

Pyrat white is being sold cheap because it's no longer made. As the hat said, stock up.

Cask 23 is available for sipping at Forbidden Island should you so desire. And you should.

E

The Cask 23 is everything and then some. The Beverage house in Tucson is the place to go for the Pyrat. $260 for Cask 23, $30 for the XO and $28 for the Pistol.

Emerald In Tucson

The Mister is a manager at a liquor store and was first to respond to a 4am break-in Friday morning. As a Thank You the owner gave him a bottle of Pyrat XO. It's such a beautiful bottle I almost didn't want to deflower it, but we cracked it open Saturday night. I was very impressed. It's very smooth.

At one point in the evening a friend was about to use it in one of his random "so bad even the lushiest won't finish it" concoctions.

I almost punched him in the neck.

NO WASTING THE PRECIOUS!!

K

On 2006-05-15 13:14, Grenadine wrote:
At one point in the evening a friend was about to use it in one of his random "so bad even the lushiest won't finish it" concoctions.

I almost punched him in the neck.

NO WASTING THE PRECIOUS!!

Aaah! I f*cking hate that!

I was tending bar at a large party the other night and occasionally had to wander off from the bar to hand a drink to someone. In the five minutes I'd be away you would not believe how many -ahem- unskilled "mixologists" had laid hands on the bar stock and poured the most foul wastes of liquor you'd ever care to sample.

One well dressed gal I watched had just finished pouring herself six ounces of good Russian vodka into a glass, only to grimace in disgust at the first sip. She then "fixed" the drink (before I could stop her) with about 2 ounces of grenadine.

-sigh-

Anyway, sorry to derail this.. uhm.. yeah, so.. XO is great. Good rum. Cool bottle. How 'bout those Mets? Tiki.

Ahu

[ Edited by: kukuahu 2006-05-18 08:56 ]

I read that Trader Joes bought all of the remaining stock of Pyrat rum. It was some crazy amount. Once it's gone it's gone. The price is right and it tastes pretty good too.

On 2006-05-16 15:14, Matt Reese wrote:
I read that Trader Joes bought all of the remaining stock of Pyrat rum. It was some crazy amount. Once it's gone it's gone. The price is right and it tastes pretty good too.

So is Pyrat XO discontinued as well? I just bought four bottles of Blanco at Traders for $7.99 a bottle.

Interesting that Pyrat is a major sponsor of the Northwest Tiki Kon next month: http://www.nwtiki.com And if you follow the link to the parent company, Patron Spirts, both Pyrat XO and Cask are still in the lineup of spirts.

Come check out "The VooDoo Room" we have Pyrat Rum there!!!

Aloha Sammy

Check out pops wines and liquors, they have it for:

Planters Gold Rum, X.O., Pyrat Reserve 750ML $21.59 $21.59(bottle)$119.18 case of 6

the website is http://www.popswine.com/

Amy

So I guess the consensus is that Pyrat XO Reserve for $19.99 a bottle is a pretty good deal? I only ask because I need to get some higher quality rum for home drink making. What about a combination of this and a decent dark rum for Mai Tai's?

Chris

P

I was at BevMo yesterday and they had Pyrat XO for $19.99. They also had Gosling's Black Seal for $13.99.

KC

Well, I bought a bottle of the XO on my way home this morning, for $21 including tax. I cracked it open and had a splash over an ice cube. Wow! That is some nice stuff! It was just so smooth and tasty.

If I were to use this in a Mai Tai, what would be a good complement rum? Appleton V/X? Goslings Black Seal? Flor De Cana 4 year? (I only mention these since they are easily purchased locally, and won't break my bank). I have the Pyrat Blanco (from TJ's) already, but I don't think that would be proper. And yes, I know it should be Jamaican and Martinique rum, traditionally :)

I'm thinking I should pick up another bottle or two of the XO, just in case they raise the price again, or discontinue it completely.

Chris

[ Edited by: Kona Chris 2006-07-04 01:57 ]

RB

If I were to use this in a Mai Tai, what would be a good complement rum? Appleton V/X? Goslings Black Seal? Flor De Cana 4 year?

Craig "Melintur" Hermann's "official" NW Tiki Kon Mai Tai recipe couples Pyrat with Appleton Estate VX: http://www.tikimama.com/nwtiki/maitai.jpg

Well, for the Tucson Tiki folks, I just thought I'd let you know that the Rum Runner has the Pyrat XO Reserve for $14.99 a bottle! In fact, they have the best rum selection I've found in town so far (with the name, who would have thought? :D).

Now I'm just trying to decide which other rums to get... Maybe it's time for another topic.

Chris

Pages: 1 21 replies