Name:Forbidden Island
Type:bar
Street:1304 Lincoln Ave
City:Alameda
State:CA
Zip:94501
Phone:510-749-0332

Description:
You can describe it for yourselves after Tiki Central Night, Thursday April 20th, 2006!

Pictures can't convey the best part about Forbidden Island -- the astounding drinks. The quality and variety is simply stupendous. My personal favorite is the Krakatoa, which tastes just like a Black Magic from the Mai Kai. The other favorites that I've tried so far include the Hawaii Kai Treasure, the Sidewinder's Fang, the Combover (served with souvenir comb!), and Martiki's own creation, the China Clipper.

But the pictures speak for themselves about Forbidden Island's jaw-dropping decor:

:down: Forbidden Island's sign, created by pariartspaul:

:down: The interiors were crafted primarily by Bamboo Ben and Martiki:

:down: The logo tiki was carved by Tiki Diablo:

:down: Several decor items came from now-gone tiki places such as The Lanai in San Mateo, Pago-Pago in Tucson, and the Kahiki in Columbus. These carved posts by Keigs came from the Kahiki Moon in Burlington, Vt.:

:down: The menu was created by Hanford Lemoore (the logo tiki drawing is by Tiki Diablo):

:down: The swizzles have "Forbidden Island" molded into them on one side, and the tiki head is molded on both sides:

:down: The napkin uses a logo design by Hanford Lemoore:

:down: A couple of drinks:

:down: Bartender Sonya, wearing a shirt with Tiki Diablo's logo tiki design embroidered by cynfulcynner:

:down: Some of the massive selection of rum and other premium spirits:

I believe this is the first time I've been to a new tiki bar that managed to have the feel and warmth of a place that has been around for decades.

Officially now my favorite tiki bar (After Mai Kai, which goes without saying.).
Forbidden Island is a class A type flagship of what a Tiki bar should be.
You would be foolish not to pay this place a visit.
Forbidden Island, YA!

T

Oh.

Oh man that looks amazing!!!!!!!!

T

Finally there is a new tiki bar that does everything perfectly, as I would like to believe it was like going to Don the Beachcomber's in the past. Other new tiki bars have opened (and closed) that have great decor, good drinks, and nice atmosphere. But never to the extent that Martiki, Mike, and Mano have done with Forbidden Island. Three cheers to you three, and cheers also to Bamboo Ben, Tiki Diablo, Hanford, bartenders Sonya and Jim, and waitress Thayer! You outdid yourselves. I am excited to have such a bar exist anywhere, let alone so close to me.

Last night I had the following drinks: Forbidden Island, Captain's Grog, Sidewinder's Fang, Krakatoa, and Monkeyman's Monkeypod. All were outstanding. I also tasted someone's China Clipper and loved it as well.

Sheer perfection.

WOW! first i would like to congratulate everyone who worked on the place! you all did a fantastic job on it! this is by far the coolest tikibar i have ever been to! the decor totally blew me away. especially when you realize that these guys and gals only had 6 weeks to complete it! all the little details make FI soooo cozy and inviting!

drinks were top notch as you would expect from such talented staff and management. i think i sampled about half of the menu and all of them were exceptional!

thanks to martin, rebecca, mike, denise, mano and the rest of the staff for all of your hospitality.

i have a feeling that we will be making the drive to FI on a regular basis!

The Forbidden Island is so amazing you will not want to leave. Martiki, Conga Mike and Mano are so in tune with what it takes to create the perfect tiki bar and they (and all the friends that helped out) have nailed it perfectly and still have kept it totally unique and all their own. Anybody who digs tiki and is in a 100 mile radius and doesn't make the effort to check out the Forbidden Island is just being plain old dumb.

What they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, my sacred trinity of tiki bars is now Forbidden Island, the Mai Kai, and the Alibi.

And FINALLY, FINALLY, one of my all-time favorites is within driving distance!!! I couldn't be happier about this place. From the incredibly intricate, fascinating decor to the brilliant drinks to the awesomely vintage chic cocktail server (go Thayer!!!), everything is spot-on perfect. Three of my favorite things apart from the obvious:

1. The dim, aka "kind" lighting. Thank you. Nobody wants a bright light in the face after six Painkillers. Nobody.

2. The amazing jukebox, thank you so much Jab and Conga Paul! I wish you guys could "do" jukes for a living. The world would be a better place...no wars, no plagues, no heartbreak of psoriasis...if only Paul and Jab were in charge of the soundtrack.

3. The atmosphere. Critiki calls this "tilt" and that's a good term, and in this case I'm not just referring to "tikiness". My theory is that because FI (in its former incarnation as the charmingly divey "Lincoln's Address") already has a good thirty-plus years of vintage neighborhood bar goodness under its belt, it just doesn't have that shallow, trendy, uninteresting "new" feel to it. There's character and history here and you can feel it.

What makes me happiest of all is that this lounge can clearly succeed EQUALLY with vintage tiki bar lovers, serious drinkin' folk and the public at large. (I still think the locals are gonna talk you guys into vodka tonics at six a.m. yet...:lol:) Plus the fact that it's situated in a comfortable Alameda neighborhood is likely to both keep the frat-boy jerks away AND really bring in the more sophisticated crowd that will totally appreciate Forbidden Island on all levels.

Not to mention, there's a great late-night Mexican place just minutes away AND ample, safe parking.

Did anyone mention the nifty outdoor patio yet?!? Well, I just did. :wink:

This is my local tiki bar dream (going back ten years and more) come true and I thank Martiki, Mike and Mano from the bottom of my heart! You guys are the BEST.

XOX tikivixen

T

The drink menu is online! Dig it:

http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/fi/menu

Is the patio cigar friendly?

The pics look amazing, No I gotta work on making the long distance transporter work so I can materialize there at will...at least I'm honored to be there in spirit (get it? thank you, I'm here all week).

Ran

M

Grand Opening April 22, 2006:

Tiki Central Drinks Sold:

Monkeypod: 12
Combover: 9

The race is on!

:)

Hey hey, no fair...you should've put the Reverb Crash on there if you wanted a popularity contest :wink:

Ran

S

Thanks for posting the drink menu!
I'd like one of everything!!!
wheeeeee

T

Aloha Crew of the Forbidden Island,
Tikiboy and Kathy couldn't believe our own eyes when we walked in on Thursday night. How you got it all together in 54 days is amazing. Kudos to you all. We tried the Missionary's Downfall and then she had a Forbidden Island and I had the Monkeypod. Next time were going to try the Fugu for two. By the way, is the Mystery Bowl served by the Mystery Girl ala The Kahiki?
See you all tomorrow night.

Mele Forbidden Island,
Tikiboy

On 2006-04-25 22:25, tikiboy wrote:
By the way, is the Mystery Bowl served by the Mystery Girl ala The Kahiki?

Why, yes! Here's a picture of the lovely lass:

M

On 2006-04-26 07:39, freddiefreelance wrote:

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark!

On 2006-04-26 09:48, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2006-04-26 07:39, freddiefreelance wrote:

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark!

I most certainly don't.... :wink:

~T

T
thejab posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 3:16 PM

One thing I love about Forbidden Island is the way it looks like an old tiki bar inside because of the liberal use of old pre-used wood on the walls and shelves. It seems that they started a trend! I just saw this news item of a new restaurant opening in San Francisco that is using "reclaimed woods for the floors, bar, tables and chairs".

From Gayot.com (http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/sanfrancisconews.html#opening):

Moving into the vacant Maroc space on Haight St. will be The Alembic, a bar/restaurant from the owner of Magnolia Pub and Brewery. The philosophy is to highlight the artisanal and micro-distillery scene, like the Bay Area’s local producers, and beyond. The chef is Eddie Blyden, formerly of Sneaky Tiki and 21st Amendment (he has also now taken over the kitchen of Magnolia). The American menu will focus on using organic, local and sustainable ingredients. The 40-seat space will be cozy classic, utilizing reclaimed woods for the floors, bar, tables and chairs. The plan is for a July or August opening. 1725 Haight St., San Francisco.

Oh my GOD! I lived within three blocks of that amazing place, and now I live thousands of miles away?!

When I was living in Alameda, the Tiki Bar didn't exist yet - it was still the horribly run-down "Lincoln's Address"... As we were getting ready to move, the bar was being remodelled...

Friends mentioned that it was amazing inside, but we didn't have time to visit... Now I find out it's basically what I want my home Tiki Bar to look like, and I'm in a different country?!

Oh well, c'est la vie... I'll just have to make my home bar look just as good here in the land of ice and snow!

Finally got a chance to visit the Forbidden Island last weekend - this is absolutely the best new tiki bar that I've been in yet. Music was perfect, even the old islandy video that was playing over the bar was perfect. Details all the way down the custom swizzles in every drink made the entire experience exactly what I had been hoping for. This is now a mandatory stop for any bay area trip for me! Yar, drink up!

Wow...this place looks amazing...thanks for posting the pictures. I will hit it when I am off for New Year's week. I am clamoring for a Krakatoa. :)

Perhaps the Bad Liver (which is made with coffee liqueur) instead! :)

Tarzan highly recommend Monkeyman's Monkeypod. Taste buds havin' a party while soft gray matter swirled with psychedelic overtones flashing jurassic images lightly toasted and smacking of smooth white buttocks inlaid with warrior incantations and other significant tattoos from prehistoric era long since departed.

mmmmm, Tarzan like Monkeypod.

M

On 2006-11-30 20:34, Jungle Trader wrote:
Tarzan highly recommend Monkeyman's Monkeypod. Taste buds havin' a party while soft gray matter swirled with psychedelic overtones flashing jurassic images lightly toasted and smacking of smooth white buttocks inlaid with warrior incantations and other significant tattoos from prehistoric era long since departed.

mmmmm, Tarzan like Monkeypod.

looks like vic is cut off.

T

My new bumper sticker. Thanks Martiki! Afraid to put it on my car though - it might as well say: "Pull Me Over!".

J

Hey Guys, I hope there are a few more of those available for the rest of us who finished the menu. But I think I'll put it on my front bumper. :wink:

I don't think you need to worry, I'm sure Martin made enough for the rest of the class....

CL

Forbidden Island is written about in this month's Sunset Magazine (the one with the Red Cake on it), in case ya'll wanna read about it. :)

Picked up my bumper sticker Wednesday night...Thanks Martin! So, if I finish the drink menu twice do I get a 2nd sticker? :) Or is it off to work on finishing the Premium Rum menu for a different sticker?

Hey Martin!
Don't knock over the booze bottles when you turn around.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2007-05-22 22:10 ]

boy oh boy, I had to dig this one up, and bump it, and read all the posts to wet my appetite so to speak, as if I haven't been wanting to go there bad enough already.

see ya Sat Oct 21,07 at 5 ish to 10 ish.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I took about 100 pics, need to learn how to download and post pics now.
but to put it mildly,
this place is simply amazing.
just about as perfect as I thought it would be.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TT

I just got back from my visit to San Fran and have to say my journey to Forbidden Island was a highlight of my trip. I dragged a buddy of mine over to Berkeley for the day and then on to Alameda. Another friend met us there. Let me say first that the friend who lives in San Fran was so knocked out by the place that he started hounding me about where to buy Tiki things..

I really enjoyed the "grand tour" Martin gave us and the GREAT service we received from everyone there. Even got to experience my first and only earthquake--not a drink--the real thing. I'm not sure if Martin can make that happen for everyone though.

I can't say enough about the place. We hit another place in Oakland (Kona Club)that looked really awesome but lacked the "soul" when put up against Forbidden Island.

My only complaint is that Lala wasn't there when I was.

Thanks again to everyone there for a great night.
Ted

[ Edited by: ted tiki 2007-11-07 15:27 ]

M

Hi All!

A couple of months ago I had a chance to visit Forbidden Island which was just superb. Martin was kind enough to let me interview him for my Podcast (http://soused.thepodcastnetwork.com/2008/03/16/soused-podcast-011-martin-cate-at-forbidden-island-tiki-lounge/).

The service at Forbidden Island is excellent, and the decor is beyond reproach. Hats off to Martin and the FI crew!

Kev.
http://tikiloungeandbar.com
http://soused.thepodcastnetwork.com

T

Is there a topic on all the positive press that Forbidden Island has received? Maybe there should be. It would be several pages! Well, here's another one that was in San Francisco's 7x7 Magazine. Congrats to the 3 M's!

http://www.7x7sf.com/eat_drink/featured_drinks/20015539.html

[ Edited by: thejab 2008-07-10 17:02 ]

Big Mahalo to Martin and the crew at F.I. for being superb hosts last night. I was able to try a few new drinks and was not disappointed.
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

San Francsico's Best of the Bay List
Best Cocktails '09:

FORBIDDEN ISLAND 3rd Place

Read all about it, and look at photos, here.

"Located in the heart of Alameda’s historic Bay Station Shopping District, Forbidden Island features a wide array of classic and contemporary gourmet cocktails, served in an exotic & fun tropical atmosphere."

Congratulations to all who made Forbidden Island so good. It's number one in my book.

fan boy midnite

T

We visited the Forbidden Island for the 2nd time just over a week ago. It was afternoon & a surf band was playing. In fact the place got crowded more so than our first visit late last year. Great decor & vibe to the place. We DID notice that they were now using mixes with the drinks & this is possibly one reason Martin is no longer working there. Still a GREAT place Thortiki

K

I CAN'T WAIT!

I get on a plane first thing Thursday morning and will be in the Bay Area until Monday. Right now I'm thinking about hitting FI on Sunday.

Cool! Congrats to Forbidden Island--I loved it when I visited last month (the China Clipper is out of this world good).

(I'm disappointed, however, that the Clock Bar didn't make the list.)

On 2009-04-13 18:28, Thortiki wrote:
We DID notice that they were now using mixes with the drinks

Are you sure? They use the quik-pour bottles (that most other place have pre-mixes in) for all of their fresh juices. Perhaps that's what you saw?

L

On 2009-04-16 09:00, Haole'akamai wrote:

Are you sure? They use the quik-pour bottles (that most other place have pre-mixes in) for all of their fresh juices. Perhaps that's what you saw?

This was already cleared up the other day here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31695&forum=1&start=15&23

Aloha,

I know Michael had written it up in the other thread. I wanted to make sure it had been addressed in the official FI thread, as well.

Mahalo,
~T

On 2009-04-16 10:46, leleliz wrote:

On 2009-04-16 09:00, Haole'akamai wrote:

This was already cleared up the other day here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31695&forum=1&start=15&23

K

My wife and I were on vacation in SF this past weekend. We dragged a couple of friends out to the east bay from the Richmond neighborhood for a relaxing Sunday afternoon at FI and we were not disappointed in any way by our experience - in fact, we were blown away (I think our friends will be making even more trips across the bay to visit FI).

First - Mike held one of the very cool bowls for me - it was to be a gift from my wife for our anniversary. HUGE thanks for that!

Even at 4ish pm on a Sunday afternoon - with some of the most perfect weather our friends remember in SF in April ever outside - there were several people outside and even more inside.

I LOVED the feel of FI as soon as I walked in the door. I felt like I was home. A quick glance behind the bar made my mouth water - so much rum... so little time. We found a booth and settled in for what we hoped would be a fun hour or two.

I let our bartender know that we had a bowl on hold for us. Our bartender was AWESOME! She was friendly and had a lot of great suggestions. She even took some pictures of our group with my camera.

We started off with the Mystery Bowl and it was perfect. I did not taste any "standard mix" in any of the drinks - everything tasted like fresh juices. I could spend the rest of my life drinking at this bar!

The girls moved on to sodas and juices - Patty was driving. Ken and I went for the signature Forbidden Island drink - had to get the mug! My expectations were again blown away!

I finished off my first visit to FI with the Hurricane. WOW! Have I gushed enough about FI yet?

This was the perfect end to our vacation!

I am already thinking about my next trip to the area - and of course another trip to FI.

Thank you very much to the entire staff at Forbidden Island!

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:30 ]

Wednesdays is perfect. It is local 94501 night...but also Tiki Central Night!
You may want to post here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19207&forum=17&start=705&713

July, 2009, had a great evening there. Drinks were super, good trio playing and appetizers were good. Loved the ambiance. Want to go back. Well worth the trip.

Pages: 1 2 61 replies