Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies

Pics begin on page 7!

Mahalo and have a lovely day, y'all!

tiki-tina

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-08-09 10:47 ]

M
Moki posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 11:24 AM

YEAH!!
Thanks for working out the details. Can't wait.

sounds super-groovy....will be there with bells on

TMF

I saw that Tiki Tina had a great idea on a Trader Vic's party. I am for it and I have had some feed back from others as well. However, I have to go to a Big VW show and hopefully find a 23 window ragtop bus. We all have our missions in life so the second weekend of June won't work for me. But, why don't we give them the chance to get things together and do something on the 3rd Saturday of the month. Maybe a camp out with bar party?

Tiki Mo Fo

WooooHooooooo! Soccer Tiki and I want to have More FUN in the AZ SUN!! I think a weekend later in June would be good too!!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-30 18:44 ]

On 2006-05-03 23:00, tiki-tina wrote:
Trader Vic's Scottsdale Update

.....The bad news is that it can be kinda hot in Scottsdale in the summer, but that's what air conditioners, swimming pools and tropical drinks are for, right?

Now that sounds more like an "Oasis"!!!! I can't wait to bake in the Arizona sun and party with all the great AZ Tikiers!!!! And snyone else who makes it out for that matter!!!!

WooooooHooooooooooo!

TMF

Aug works better for me..... July is super busy for me traveling the good ol USA... Fireworks in D.C., some beach fun in LA, and some boating in the great cheese state of WI...... So, let us shake and bake, and have some fun in that great AZ sun!!!!!!! I will start making some ice cubes right now....

TMF

I forgot to add that I am interested in both the Vally Ho and Trader's. I know that both can be kinda expensive.... But I read an article I think that it was Atomic Ranch, but not to sure and really would love to check out the hotel.... When else can you really enjoy like summer? I am sure that it is crowded and $$$$$ the rest of the year. Maybe we can try for some room parties so I don't have to hock that extra kidney. I will bring me Trader Vic's cookbook I my Mom found in the attic for me..... I know that it takes seven small limes and crushed ice..... I remember that much from BH, I wonder if they will also have pics of Merv...... SoccerTiki you may have to bring your handy dandy ice crusher........

WooooHoooooo! Pool Party at The Valley Ho & a Night at Trader Vic's. Hot August Nights work for Soccer Tiki and I. Don't forget: Both The Catalina Island Tiki Fest & The LOng Beach Tiki Fest are the weekend of August 18th.

Hey all,

August is not looking good for us at the moment so we can't give you a definitive "count us in or out." The Mr and I might try to swing an evening at TV's sometime in June and would love to make an unofficial, impromptu night of it if anyone is free at the time.

cheeky half

K
Kenike posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 1:15 PM

I'll be there on the 4th. Anyone else?

TMF

Well, let me know if we want to take a car pool up on a random night...... Louie said he would like to catch a trip up as well. Let me know....

Unfortunately I cannot make the opening, I will be in Lost Wages that weekend. July would work better.. I will definitely be needing those mai tais with the house being under renovation at that time!!!! I am in for any time in July or August, but I would just be meeting up with all TCers at TV and not staying at the hotel, I live in Phx.

Any date for a TC Party yet??

Since I gotta miss Catalina...I'm going to the hottest spot I can find, and in August! I'm in. The Mr too.

To borrow a line from a good friend....WoooooHooooo! Looks like we are gonna have one heck of a wing ding in August at the Valley Ho and Trader Vic's! I am sooo happy to see that so many folks are interested! This is great news. I am still working out the room rate details with the hotel (they have been VERY slow in responding, but I know they are working up a super deal!) and will have all of the details posted early next week. I have also been corresponding with AJ (the GM of Traver Vic's) and he is really eager to have us there...but since this is a bit of a different concept than the rest of the TV chain, and it's not open yet, and seating is kinda limited, we have some logistics to work out for the August bash. But here is what I know for sure......

• Dinner and drinks will be at Trader Vic's on Saturday Evening.
  • Special room rates will be available beginning on Thursday evening and will run thru Sunday night, so you can really make a weekend of it!
  • Open Road Tours (my company) is pleased to extend all TC members a 10% discount off any of the tours they offer! So make it an Arizona Get-a-way and see Sedona, the Grand Canyon and Raft the Colorado! More info can be found at http://www.openroadtours.com or you can email me or call me during the week at the office 800.766.7117!

This is going to be such an awesome time!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-05-20 14:07 ]

K

sigh

I can never make it to these things at the right time. There's no way I can come in August. Well, I'll be having a woo-hoo wing-ding at TV on June 4th.

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-05 07:04 ]

K

I'll be staying with friends who live in Phoenix June 2-5...and I know they like the Drift. I'll try to nail down a time with them. If I can get them to commit to a time (they'll be doing the driving) I'll post it here. Haven't made reservations at TV yet...411 had no phone listing as of last weekend. I guess I could call the hotel..

~K

WooooHoooooo!! Scottsdale here we come. Mucho Mahalo to my WooHoo Sis, Tiki-Tina for all of her hard work to put this event together :)

K

I FINALLY was able to get in touch with Trader Vic's and was told they're already totally booked for the 4th! I'M SO PISSED!! We'll at least be able to go in for a drink or two or three or 4 (probably early) ...but I was really counting on a meal. They put me on a waiting list in case there's a cancellation and I'll call again on the 4th to double check. I suppose I should call TV in Dallas NOW to get in a reservation for their August opening.

Why does this keep happening to me?

Formerly known as "Juno"

[ Edited by: Kenike 2006-05-27 16:56 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-24 13:39 ]

Also wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and support! You guys have been so awesome and encouraging! Can't wait to see everyone in August!!

I think we're still gonna go Sun. night early (like 6-ish) to scope the place out & get a cocktail--will end up at Drift no doubt

MG

Hey Tina!... It was good to meet you at Sam's. Let me know if there's anything that I can help out with. Also!.... If there's not enough room at Trader Vics's for the Martini Kings to play, maybe they can play at the Valley Ho at some point while everyone is there. I'm sure the hotel would love to have them play again. I'll talk to Tony and see if they're available that weekend.

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-05-31 13:32 ]

Cannot wait until August to hang out with the TCer's. I will definitely be there for dinner and drinks!!!!

We'll try to stop by this Sunday to check it out. I'll mark my calendar for August as well. Hope to meet some of you out-of-staters!

T

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-24 13:40 ]

T

Aloha Gene! Great meeting you, too...( and the Mrs. and the cute little one). The Martini Kings would be GREAT! Check with Tony and see what his and Frank's schedule is like...I'll work with AJ @ TV and the Hotel to see what we can work out! I am thinking that we may have a few more options once TV's had actually opened and they see how the space is working. Thanks for jumpin' in with both feet! Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

T

Okay you crazy kids…and now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for!!

WoooooHooooo and hot off the press…I am pleased to announce the latest details for our amazing August wing ding at Trader Vic’s and the Hotel Valley Ho in beautiful Scottsdale, Arizona!!

Dates (confirmed):
Thursday, August 3rd – Sunday, August 6th, 2006, but you are invited to come early and stay late…who cares if it’s 110 in the shade…you’ll have your mai tai to keep you cool!

Accommodations:

Option One:
Stay where the action is….the amazing Hotel Valley Ho!

We have arranged for a special package rate for all Tiki Central peeps! Even folks who can’t attend this gathering can enjoy the special “Tiki Central” rate all summer long!

Your special $129 per room/per night Tiki Central rate includes:

· 2 Welcome Cocktails at the Hotel Valley Ho
· 20% off services in the VH Spa
· $20 off a Cabana Rental

Small Print: Rate is per room, per night, plus tax, subject to availability and valid from June 1st - August 30th, 2006

To book your accommodations, please contact the hotel directly at 480.248.2000 or 866.882.4484 and be sure to ask for the Tiki Central rate. At this time, we are unable to book this particular rate via their online system. If that changes, I'll let you know. Of course, if you have any trouble booking your room, please contact me directly via PM and I will work with the hotel to ensure that you get a room.

Option Two (only available in August):
In the event you would rather stay at a more price conscious location so you have more $$$ to spend on Mai Tai’s at Trader Vic's, we have also secured special rates at the Old Scottsdale Inn.

This charming hotel (actually the 2005 Rodeway Inn Small Hotel of the Year, although the hotel is no longer a Rodeway Inn) is located in the heart of Scottsdale’s 5th Avenue Art and Entertainment districts and is within walking (okay, who are we kidding...crawling)distance of Trader Vic’s.

Your special $45 per room/per night Tiki Central rate includes:

· A well appointed room, featuring your own refrigerator and microwave
· Daily Continental Breakfast
· Access to their pool

Small Print: Rate is per room, per night, plus tax, subject to availability and valid for the month of August ONLY! If you are interested in staying at this hotel, please contact me directly either through Tiki Central or at my office at 800.766.7117. My work name is Tina-Marie Coleman :)

Dinner (now here’s where it gets interesting):

At this time, dinner for this evening at Trader Vic’s will be by reservation only.

As many of your know, I have been working with AJ Berger, the GM of Trader Vic's Scottsdale. AJ has considerable experience with Trader Vic’s (SFO, Atlanta and CHI) and has worked with both Otto and James Teitelbaum to put together some outstanding events for the TC community. He is very familiar with Tiki Central and is really very eager to have us experience and enjoy the newest addition to the Trader Vic’s legend……HOWEVER (and this is a pretty big however)…this particular rendition of Trader Vic’s is a bit of a different concept than the rest of the TV chain.

Add to that the fact that they are not open yet, are working with a brand new floor plan with fairly limited lounge and dinner seating (by traditional Trader Vic’s standards) and have virtually no space inside the restaurant for a large private or semi-private gathering, unless we bought out the whole place, we had some significant logistical considerations to work out for the August bash, especially given the anticipated number of participants.

So, since they are a brand new restaurant with a brand new staff and a very soft (emphasis on soft) opening this weekend, AJ really wanted some time for his team to work out all of the “bugs” that go along with such an opening before we descend, en masse, to celebrate TV’s return to Arizona. He wants to be sure that they are ready for us and that our experience will be everything we are dreaming of and more. That said, according to AJ, they aren’t even planning on entertaining large organized dinner groups until after Thanksgiving, which kinda messed up our plans, but never fear, we got it worked out…kinda.

Here’s the deal:

We are going to have dinner there on Saturday, August 5th as a fairly small group
(yeah, right..define fairly). And, since AJ requested that dinner be by advanced reservation, based on the number of folks who have said that they were interested in coming out for this specific weekend, I have already reserved 28 seats for dinner. So as not to overwhelm the restaurant, I have two tables (a 6 top and an 8 top) reserved for 7:30PM and two more tables (a 6 top and an 8 top) reserved for 8:30PM. The restaurant will try to seat us at adjacent tables, however, since they are not yet open, no promises have been made.

Since they are not taking group reservations or offering group menus or seating at this time, we are being asked to order from the regular menu. That means that each table will have one check, which they will split. I am working on the separate check thing and will keep you posted, but that’s how things stand at the moment.

So, as of right now, I have 28 seats held and 26 have already been spoken for, so if you are interested in attending, please PM me and I will reserve a seat in your name. If we go beyond 28 participants and I am unable to secure any more large tables, I would suggest that you contact the restaurant directly to make your dinner reservations for that evening. The telephone number to call for dinner reservations is 480.421.7799.

Of course, if you're local, you can swing by Trader Vic's anytime after June 4th, although advanced reservations are strongly recommended. The telephone number to call for dinner reservations is 480.421.7799.

Entertainment:
Since the seating/dining situation at Trader Vic’s is not really conducive to entertainment, we’re still working out the logistics for that.

One option is to secure space at the Hotel and have a no-host bar with entertainment. This would require tickets to help defray the costs associated with the rental of the space and the entertainment.

Another option is to partner with the hotel to have them provide the space for the entertainment and open it up to their guests. There may be a cost for us here, too, but less than a private event.

We could also look at doing something off site, like at Drift, where the restrictions may be less stringent. I am currently researching a wide variety of options and am also open to your ideas, so please let me know your thoughts.

Also, if someone local has the space and facilities and would like to host a gathering at their home, I can arrange for safe, affordable transportation for everyone. Actually, we were thinking about doing this at our place, but we live in a town home about 30 minutes away from Trader Vic’s, so you can imagine the problems we would face with having it at our tiki hut. So if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Other Discounts and Special Offers:
Open Road Tours (www.openroadtours.com) is pleased to welcome all TC members to Arizona with a 10% discount off any of the tours they offer! So make it an Amazing Arizona get-a-way and see Sedona, the Grand Canyon and Raft the Colorado!

More discount coupons for shops, restaurants and pubs will be provided in your welcome bags at check-in.

Sample Schedule (still evolving and open to suggestions):

Thursday, August 3rd, 2006
Early arrivals.
Enjoy the hotel and shop, take a tour or check out Trader Vic’s, Drift or Old Town Scottsdale.

Friday, August 4th, 2006
Enjoy the day on your own, lounge by the pool, shop or take a tour.
6:00PM Check out the First Friday’s Art Walk in Downtown Phoenix (link below) and have a drink at the venerable Bikini Lounge. Later, you can scope out Scottsdale’s nightlife or host a room party!

Note: If enough folks are interested in going to the Artwalk and Bikini Lounge, we can arrange for very affordable, safe transportation so no one will have to drive. We are also looking at doing a potential private party at Drift this evening.

Saturday, August 5th, 2006
Enjoy the day on your own, lounge by the pool, shop or take a tour.
Early afternoon, bevies by the pool or pre-dinner room parties
5:30PM Meet for drinks at the Trader Vic’s
7:30PM Dinner, First Seating
8:30PM Dinner, Second Seating
10:00PM Possible entertainment (tbd) or room parties, check out Drift and Scottsdale’s Nightlife or dance the night away at Anderson’s 5th Estate.

Sunday, August 6th, 2006
Enjoy brunch at the Hotel Valley Ho
Lounge by the pool, take a tour, check out all of the vintage thrift shops or go tubing or Kayaking on the Salt River.

Note: If enough folks are interested in checking out the vintage thrift shops or kayaking or tubing the Salt River, we can arrange very affordable transportation so that no one will have to drive.

And if you have any other ideas, don't be shy...post'em here!

Additional resources, info and helpful websites:

Venue Info
http://www.hotelvalleyho.com
http://www.tradervics.com
http://www.driftlounge.com
http://www.southwest.com

Scottsdale Information
http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/projects/downtown/pdf/DowntownMap.pdf
http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/Trolley/
http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/Trolley/downtown.asp
http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/projects/downtown/pdf/DowntownMapDirectory.pdf

First Friday's Artwalk Info
http://www.artlinkphoenix.com
http://www.artlinkphoenix.com/ffmap.pdf

Entertainment and Activities
http://www.openroadtours.com
http://www.saguarolakeranch.com
http://www.hotairexpeditions.com
http://www.wildwestjeeptours.com
http://www.dshummer.com/index.shtml
http://www.azoutbackadventures.com
http://www.azranchexperience.com/
http://www.dbg.org

Lotsa mahalo to everyone for their patience and interest as we pulled together the details of what is promising to be an awesome weekend! Can't wait to see y'all this summer!

Much Mahalo y’all! And loads of aloha to everyone!!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-24 13:44 ]

T

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-15 04:52 ]

Can't WAIT!!!! I don't care what we end up doing, as long as we're all together and having fun (oh, we WILL!!) and there's a special ice chest with my name on it keeping cool! The vintage thrift stores sound great! The dancing the night away sounds even better!! Any one up for a lil karaoke? I'm sure Tiki Tina can take us to the best spot, and MAYBE we can convince her to belt a few tunes out!
This is gonna be a cool time in the hot sun, no doubt!

BM

I want in on the first sitting--party of two---this is a LOOSE reservation for us as I ALWAYS must check with the missus before confirming ANY activity whatsoever--but we are in Gilbert so its a short yet hot trek up to Snotsdale--er--SCOTTSDALE. Sorry--local 'humor' there...

Are any of the locals planning on going to TV's for some cocktails this Sunday for the official "soft" opening? If so, can we set a time frame to meet together? Can't wait!!!!

~~Cousin Dave

we were thinking around 5:30-6-ish...just to scope the place out, get a coupla snorts O'rhum & purchase some macadamia nut liqueur....in the bar (if it is open--hopefully)

We're gonna be in Tucson this weekend, but may stop by TV's on Sunday on our way back...say 7:00ish or so, so maybe we'll see y'all there. A word of caution, however...the bar/lounge is very, very small....

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-02 12:47 ]

TF

Now I know what to ask for for my B-Day! I am a Mid Century Modern Nut! I can't wait to check the Valley Ho out. Ithis really sounds incredible!!!!!

WoW! My B-Day is on the 5th and I would love to spend it with TCers!

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-06-02 13:20 ]

WoooHoooo! I booked our room on Friday :)

BM

Happy to report that Trader Vics is definitely right on the money--we went last night and snagged a small bar table --they were VERY hospitable about making sure we had adequate seating, service, etc., even though the bar area is kinda BITSY compared to the restaurant. LOTS of nice tikis, masks, etc.--pretty old school, no new style carvers but all pretty impressive as well as the bar fixtures, etc. The service was CRACKING--first night it was very smooth, attentive--drink menu impressive as expected. Definitely NOT a cheap date though--I think the cheapest drink we had was 8.50, but they were all tasty-top notch rum & fresh mix. The Valley Ho is a GREAT hotel--we stumbled around there as much as the 110 degree heat would permit. The new went to Drift --to compare between the two. Drift is kinda becoming broken in as a BAR bar--getting a little smoky in there and they had the Theme From SHAFT playing while we snarfed our PuPu Platter--also NOT good Mai-Tai. Still, their decor & aquarium are still great and it IS a nuevo tiki bar and needs patronized in order to survive. Did any TCers go last night? I asked a few likely looking suspects and got confused responses or blank stares back--so I quit that pretty quick. We were there from 5pm to 8pm--early night. I'm kinda regretting that Drift Mai-Tai right now.....

Hey bb, thanks for the man-on-the-street eyewitness report! Sounds very promising. Unfortunately, we did not make it yesterday as we got in fairly late from our Tucson excursion and I have a nasty, icky, yucky, head cold, sinus, allergy thing goin' on...but we are thinking of heading out there this Wednesday evening for dinner and bevvies and we are looking forward to it!

Isn't the Hotel Valley Ho just grand? Are y'all gonna stay the night in August? I hope so! Sure beats the long drive back to Gilbert after a few Mai Tai's!

Drift is still finding their way, but happy to hear that you we able to enjoy their pu pu's (which are actually pretty good). As for bevvies, we usually stick with the Day Trippers...they are fairly consistent and yummy....but now that TV's is here, I'll be hard pressed to make a stop at Drift for my bevvie fix!

Thanks for the report :). We are excited to hear that the Trader Vic's team is doing well and look forward to checking it our this Wednesday!!

Any TCers who'd like to join us for dinner on Wednesday are welcome! We're thinking cocktails at 7:30ish followed by dinner at 8:00ish...and just in case, I am going to make reservations...

Yippee! Err, I mean Wooooohooooo!!

Woohoo's got her rezzie! Can't wait to see ya'll in August!! It's gonna be sooo much fun! :D

And for those of you who are interested in staying at the Valley Ho, the room rate is Available ALL SUMMER LONG (space available), so even if you can't make it in August, come out when you can and stay at the coolest place in Arizona!! 8)

And if you are coming in August, be sure to get your rez in early so the room rate does not sell out!! You can always cancel later (and without a penalty if you abide by the hotel's cxallation policy) if your plans change, so there's no risk...just lots of fun in the warm Arizona sun! :drink: :tiki: :drink:

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-05 11:17 ]

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 6:56 AM

OK, so even though I didn't have a reservation for the 4th we showed up anyway. I was the first name on the list to call if there were any cancellations. After I pleaded my case they were able to work us in at 5pm. When we closed out our bar bill and headed to our table we were told we were THE FIRST paying customers at TV in Scottsdale.

Drinks, food, service...all were top notch. It's a beautiful restaurant...I'd describe it as a cross between poly-pop and Scottsdale swank. Those of you going in August will really enjoy it. Here's a few pics:

What an honor...to be the first paying customers at the new Trader Vic's!! Wow! That's just great! Congratulations!! That is soooo cool!!! And thanks for posting the pictures and the review....sorry we missed you Kenike, but happy to hear that you had a great weekend! Next time you are in town, give us a ring, we'd love to see you, and maybe you're plans will change a bit and you'll be able to join us in August. Thanks again for posting the pics and congrats on being the first paying customer!!!

So where's most of the gang hangin their fezzes in August? Valley Ho or Old Scottsdale Inn? How far is OSI from the happenin spot? Sounds like it's right there? I'd kinda like to spend less on my room and more on stuff. And booze. The Mr is trying to make me agree to taking our RV and roughing it. Uh, not in THAT heat!! So $45.00/ night would be easier for the miser to agree to!

T

On 2006-06-06 10:30, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
So where's most of the gang hangin their fezzes in August? Valley Ho or Old Scottsdale Inn? How far is OSI from the happenin spot? Sounds like it's right there? I'd kinda like to spend less on my room and more on stuff. And booze. The Mr is trying to make me agree to taking our RV and roughing it. Uh, not in THAT heat!! So $45.00/ night would be easier for the miser to agree to!

Sound like alot of folks will be staying at the Valley Ho, but the OSI is very nice and very affordable. It's also pretty close, about an 8th of a mile (if that)...across the street and down 1.5 short blocks. there is a light and a crosswalk, so it's pretty well marked and is very close. Here is a link to some info about the hotel when it was a Rodeway. There are pics and customer comments, too.

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=dspv&&itid=&itdx=&itty=new&from=m

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-344582-rodeway_inn-i

http://calhotels.us/reviews.php/3506-rodeway-inn-scottsdale-arizona/

All in all, it's a really nice place and very close to everything and beats staying in an RV w/o AC :). In August, that's gonna be kinda hot. Let me know if I can help with anything else...so happy you guys are gonna make it...and remember Southwest has really cheap flights out of the OC and we can get you from the airport to the hotel if you don't take the RV...Check in with Woohoo and Soccer and see what their flights look like, maybe y'all can fly in together :) Can't wait to see you guys again and thank Gary for the line height info....I really appreciate it!

TMF

I will have to double check, but I think that I am playing Air Force on that first weekend of Aug. Uncle Bush never let's me have any fun. However, I did talk to Louie and I think that we are just going to drive up on a Sat and check things out. I will try to confirm some things and let some folks know.

On 2006-06-06 18:58, Tiki Mo Fo wrote:
However, I did talk to Louie and I think that we are just going to drive up on a Sat and check things out. I will try to confirm some things and let some folks know.

WooooHoooo! Tiki MoFo and Louie in Scottsdale :)

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies