Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

PHOTOS! Too much fun! TC gathering at Trader Vic's Scottsdale Aug 3rd-6th

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies

WoooHooo! Soccer Tiki got our plane tix. Southwest has some great low fares. Get them now before they are gone :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-06-07 13:57 ]

TF

Tiki-Tina:

Thanks for all of your efforts on this one! I was really looking for a good excuse to check the Valley Ho out and this is really a great opportunity!

Can't wait to see everyone there!

T.F.

TMF

Wow,

I can not wait to check out the Valley Ho!!!! I just visited the site and realize that was where Dino got the drink spilled on him in, "The Silencers," Matt Helm at his finest. Well the pool area I wonder if they still have the piano and mobil bar? If anyone knows for sure let me know if I am right. I have the movie at home and may have to watch it tonight just to double check.... Still checking dates...... Tiki Tina thumbs up, way up on working out the details.

SF

I am really bummed, Stacey and I are out of town over that weekend.
I'm sure you guys will have a great time. We got to visit the Valley Ho a couple of months ago and it is awsome. From the roof you look down at the pool and it is in the shape of an olive. Did not notice that until we got on the roof. The view from up there is nice, check it out.

I think I might be in love with Arizona and that 110 in the shade! Gonna try to make the trip out. Pending...but I'm determined.

On 2006-06-07 17:03, Tiki Mo Fo wrote:
Wow,

I can not wait to check out the Valley Ho!!!! I just visited the site and realize that was where Dino got the drink spilled on him in, "The Silencers," Matt Helm at his finest. Well the pool area I wonder if they still have the piano and mobil bar? If anyone knows for sure let me know if I am right. I have the movie at home and may have to watch it tonight just to double check.... Still checking dates...... Tiki Tina thumbs up, way up on working out the details.

Bring the movie! I'm sure Woo Hoo and Soccer Tiki would just ADORE for us ALL to pile into their bed (once again) and watch a lovely lil movie one night! Woo Hoo Juice and popcorn for me, please.

On 2006-06-11 23:13, BettyBleu wrote:
I think I might be in love with Arizona and that 110 in the shade! Gonna try to make the trip out. Pending...but I'm determined.

I'm with you! So tired of May Gray and June gloom!! By the end of the weekened, I'm gonna look like the dead wife from Honeymoon in Vegas!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-06-19 08:52 ]

Guys:
Count me in on the party. I went for the third time tonight to TV Scottsdale..and loved it. I meet with Hans Richeter tomorrow about some rum/oke biuz.

Shoiuld I bring the functtion up with him?

RND

RND: Absolutely! And best of luck with your meeting...hope it works out well for you! They're good folks over at Trader Vic's, and although I have never met Hans, I have been working with AJ on this little 'ting we are putting together for August.

Happy to hear you can make it and we are always open to ideas/support. Maybe you can convince Hans to have some entertainment on hand that weekend for their guests...or any other ideas you come up with. It would be delightful if he and Eve could join us...please extend the invitation if you feel it's appropriate. Wouldn't that be cool?

Anyway, happy to hear that Sol y Sombra is doing well. My husband and I have yet to make it up there, but we just love Tapas and Sangria, so it's on the list!

Looking forward to meeting you and Kim soon! :)

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-06-23 11:17 ]

Any new details about The TV's Valley Ho Weekend???

On 2006-06-19 08:53, WooHooWahine wrote:
Any new details about The TV's Valley Ho Weekend???

WooHoo...I'll check with Tiki-Tina tonight. She's been really busy with work. But I usually get the scoop when there is new news when she gets home at night. From what I know, things are still looking good, we're just waiting for more tiki-peeps to sign up and the date to get a little closer. We've been putting together an awesome itenerary for those who like a little more structure. It's too soon to spill the beans on things as she still needs to finalize a few things. But the pot's a cookin' and it smells YUMMY!!!!
BB

WOOOHOOOO! I can smell that pot cooking all the way out here :)

Pot? Who said anything about pot?...Oh Wait, I get it...lol. More details a commin' soon! can't wait to see everyone!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-13 10:56 ]

Count me in for 4 people!!!

Looking forward to meeting you all....and posting more often! :wink:

TMF

This sounds great and it looks like Tina really pulled this thing off. However, I have taken an assignment here in San Diego and will not be able to make those dates. I hope that when I can we may still get a little group up there then.... Have fun....

Any updates on the entertainment or scheduled events for the Valley Ho dealio? We are all plane ticket havin' and rezzied up. Can't wait!

Tiki Fink: Looking forward to meeting you on you trip out to the desert. Happy you are going it make it! Unfortunately, we were unable to secure entertainment for this little get together as space continues to be an issue, so it looks like it will be a low key weekend in the desert. Unless something comes together at the last minute, but no matter what we end up doing, we'll be sure to have a good time! Can't wait to meet you :)!!

Moki: Thanks for your kind words...are you guys coming out?

bb moondog: looking forward to seeing you guys..with bells on :)

Tiki Mo Fo: See how you are! Just kidding...we'll miss you and hope to see you soon. Have fun with Uncle Sam and thanks for looking out of us! I feel safer knowing you are on duty..lol!

Woohoo and Soccer: Woohoo! What else can I say? :D Can't wait to see you guys again! Too bad we are going to miss you in Palm Springs. Hope you guys have a great time!! We'll see you guys and Hau 'oli Tiki and Gary @ the airport!

Hau 'oli Tiki & Gary: Got you all booked at the OSI...looking forward to seeing y'all soon! Have fun at Bass lake and we'll see you in August.

Cheekyhalf: It will be good to see you guys again! Looking forward it it :)

Kenike: We'll miss you...you should have your own table there, though being their first paying customer and all...we'll have a mai tai for you!

lovevw81: Happy that you guys can make it and we are looking forward to meeting you!

MustDangSally: We'd love to see you, so let us know if you'd like us to reserve you a seat at dinner.

MEAN GENE: Looks like the Kings are busy with the Mission Drive-in Gig, so maybe next time. Thanks for offering though! So, are we going to get to see you this weekend? I hope so! If not, we'll see you in Catalina for sure!

Cousin Dave: Hope you can make it! Would you like us to reserve space for you at dinner? Let me know and it's done!

Swampfire: We'll miss you and the lovely Stacey, but we'll be sure to make a trip to the roof in your honor :)

BettyBleu: Hope you guys are coming...is it definite? We hope so!!

Rum Numb Davey: Looks like you're a regular regular! How did your meeting with Hans go? Outstanding we hope! Looking forward to meeting you and Kimmo!

ArizonaTiki: Get ready to meet some of the friendly natives! Glad you'll be here!

EVERYONE: Thanks for all your interest! We still have a few seats available for dinner, so please pm me if you'd like us to get your name on the list. Also, if your name is on the list and your plans have changed, let me know.

If you have not booked your rooms yet, contact the Valley Ho to reserve one now, or if you'd like to stay at the Old Scottsdale Inn, contact me thru Tiki Central email and I'll see that you get a room there.

Of course, we still have some seats available for dinner, so please let me know if you'd like me to reserveone for you. Also, since we do not have have entertainment of any kind for that evening (we should be entertaining enough, right) if you have any ideas/contacts, please let me know.

On Friday, we are planning dinner at Drift, with a trip over to the Bikini and then on to Karaoke, so let me know if you'd like to join us as we are in the process of arranging transportation.

Finally, if you are flying in, please let me know when you are arriving and where you are staying so I can put together your welcome bag and have it waiting for your at check in.

Mahaloz to everyone! Can wait to see you guys! It's going to be a fun, low key kinda weekend among the ohana!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-13 11:01 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-30 18:37 ]

Definitely in for dinner on Friday, so count us in for transpo. Don't wanna drive.

Count us IN...no more tentative. If I need to carve & sell a tiki just to AFFORD the evening, I will do so.

WooooHoooo! Soccer Tiki and I can't wait to see everyone :) Mucho Mahalo to Tiki-Tina for putting this all together. Tiki-Tina & Cheekyhalf have you been practicing your WoooHooo's???

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-07-13 21:58 ]

Aloha from the sunny coast of Maine! God, it's beautiful here (but they could use a bit more tiki)...looking forward to seeing everyone in August! We still have some seats available, so please pm me if you'd like me to reserve a few for you.

bb: glad you are gonna make it! Better get carvin, though...we'd love to see your tiki's! Do you have a web site?

tikifink: we got you covered on the transpo. Are you coming out to the Bikini Lounge and Karaoke or just Drift? Also, there will be three of you, right? Finally, when are you getting in?

Woohoo and Soccer: MISS YOU GUYS!! While you were roasting in PS, we were sailing the beautiful deep blue here in Maine! Wish you were here! It is FANTASTIC!! I even let an honorary woohoo or two slip..our captain thought I was muy loco, but what the heck, you only love once, right? Heading up to Kennebunkport today, so maybe I can get W, Geo. Sr and Bar to Woohoo! I'll be sure to tell them that Soccer says hello! :).

See y'all soon!

tiki-t :)

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-17 08:34 ]

Tina:

We are arriving in Pheonix at 3:30pm on Friday and we plan to go straight to The Valey Ho.

As far as friday night goes, we may have three for dinner at Drift but it will be just two of us afterward.

T.F.

From The Arizonia Republic:

Mai tai one on: Trader Vic's returns to Scottsdale

Jun. 2, 2006 12:00 AM

Bringing back its kitschy class, its superstiff drinks and its liberal use of coconut, Trader Vic's opens Sunday at the Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale.

Trader Vic's first opened in 1962 but closed in 1990, so this new version has been anticipated since the hotel's remodel, with Valley residents excited about recapturing the glamour of past dinners and happy hours at the legendary eatery.

Trader Vic's is known for its old-school elegance and its scrumptious Polynesian cuisine, with many menu items cooked in custom woks or in Chinese wood-fired ovens. But it's famous for originating the mai tai, made with the restaurant's own mix, dark rum and the juice of a whole lime, garnished with mint, pineapple, cherry and a lime wedge. advertisement

Allen + Philp Architects, who helped freshen the Valley Ho's image, reimagined the upscale restaurant with a sleek, island-referencing design that's classy, not campy.

Dinner is served from 5 to 10 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays, until 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. The bar is open at 4 p.m. every day.

Details: 6850 E. Main St., Scottsdale. (480) 421-7799, tradervics.com.

C

Thanks for posting that article WooHoo! I tried searching for it but it's not coming up online anymore.

TF

Wow!!

This is coming up so soon. We can't wait.

T.F.

Check out http://www.experiencescottsdale.com :) WooHoooo! One more week :)

Well, much to my dissapointment, I'm not going to be able to join people for Friday or Saturday night. However my girlfriend and I will be up in Scottsdale Thursday and Friday during the day, just for fun. We're planning on dinner at Trader Vic's Thursday night, since I can't make it Saturday. We'll be heading back to Tucson Friday evening, since she has to work at 6am Saturday morning.

I wish I could be there for the fun with everyone on Friday and Saturday nights.

Can anyone confirm that if you ask for an "original" mai tai, you can get one made correctly, and not with the mix?

Chris

WoooHoooo! The Valley Ho Weekend and Party at Trader Vic's is just around the corner. Time for Roll Call: When are you arriving and where are you staying???

*Soccer Tiki and WooHooWahine: Arriving: Aug. 3 Staying @ The Valley Ho :)

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-08-01 00:09 ]

Since some of you have asked....

Dress Code for the weekend: Tropical Casual!
Attitude for the weekend: Lei'd back and fun!
Weather: Here's a link to the 10 day forecast...should be nice, but warm :).

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/85251?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

What I need from each attendee:

NOTE: Please PM me this info and do not list it here...unless you want to...but just remember...if you post your cell here, everyone will see it. If you pm me,I'll just add it to the list.

• Date/Time of arrival
  • Date/Time of departure
  • Name of hotel where you are staying (if you are local and not staying at the hotel, that’s okay too!)
  • Your TC Screen name
  • Your real name
  • Name room is registered under
  • Your cell phone number (optional, so we can reach you)
  • Number of folks attending dinner at Drift on Friday
  • Number of folks attending the after dinner events on Friday
  • Number of folks needing transportation on FRIDAY after dinner
  • Number of folks attending diner at Trader Vic’s on Saturday

Mahaloz to all...can't wait to see everyone!

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-07-31 09:42 ]

Shindig Schedule (still evolving and open to suggestions):

Thursday, August 3rd, 2006
Early arrivals.
Enjoy the hotel and shop, take a tour or check out Trader Vic’s, Drift or Old Town Scottsdale. This evening, enjoy Scottsdale's Famous Artwalk!

Friday, August 4th, 2006
Enjoy the day on your own, lounge by the pool, shop or take a tour.

Evening Festivities
4:30PM Happy Hour at Drift in Scottsdale
5:00PM Dinner at Drift, 4341 N 75th St, Scottsdale, AZ (480) 949-8454, You can take a taxi, hotel shuttle or the Scottsdale Trolley to Drift. We have dinner reservations for 5:00PM.
6:30PM Tikimobile leaves for First Friday’s Art Walk in Downtown Phoenix and the venerable Bikini Lounge.
8:30PM Tikimobile leaves the Bikini Lounge for Native New Yorker (I-17 & Bell) and an evening of shameless karaoke.
1:00AM Tikimobile leaves Native New Yorker for Hotel Valley Ho
1:30AM Tikimobile arrives Hotel Valley Ho
1:30AM and beyond....your call!

NOTE: If enough folks are interested in going to the Artwalk, Bikini Lounge, and karaoke, we have arranged for very affordable, safe transportation so no one will have to drive. Cost is $250 for the evening and will be split between the number of participants. The Tikimobile can hold up to 14 revelers, and 8 seats are already spoken for (Woohoo, Soccer, Tiki-Tina, Bamboo Boyd, Al-li, Tiki Kate, Tiki Fink and Guest)

Saturday, August 5th, 2006
Enjoy the day on your own, lounge by the pool, shop, take a tour or go tubing or Kayaking on the Salt River.

Note: If enough folks are interested in kayaking or tubing the Salt River, we will try to arrange very affordable transportation so that no one will have to drive. Currently, we have 6 folks interested in Tubing/Kayaking on Saturday!

Early afternoon, bevies by the pool or pre-dinner room parties
6:30PM Meet for drinks at the Trader Vic’s
7:30PM Dinner, First Seating
NOTE: ALL confirmed seating has been consolidated to 7:30PM :).

9:30PM Dance the night away at Anderson’s 5th Estate, then room parties :).

Sunday, August 6th, 2006
Enjoy brunch at the Hotel Valley Ho
Lounge by the pool, take a tour, or check out all of the vintage thrift shops.

Note: If enough folks are interested in checking out the vintage thrift shops, we can try to arrange very affordable transportation so that no one will have to drive.

And if you have any other ideas, don't be shy...post'em here!

Much mahalo to everyone for their interest in this little get together! Can't wait to see y'all this weekend!

Much Mahalo y’all! And loads of aloha to everyone!!

Questions? pm or email me...or you can always ring me on 'da coconut wireless.

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-08-01 00:31 ]

We've had a few folks inquire about tubing/kayaking the Salt River. Based on everyone's arrivals, it looks like Saturday, August 5th would be the best day to do this, but it would need to be early in the day (like 7AM/8AM) cuz it gets HOT on the river later in the day!

Currently, we have 6 folks who are interested, so if you'd like to do this, pm me or post here.

Note: If enough folks are interested in kayaking or tubing the Salt River, we will try to arrange very affordable transportation so that no one will have to drive. Currently, we have 6 folks interested in Tubing/Kayaking on Saturday!

WoooHoooo! Don't forget to bring your favorite "Plastic" Beverage Container for Poolside Drinks. Rumor has it that SoccerTiki will be mixing drinks at our Cabana sometime Saturday????? Keep your eyes open for more details..........:)

From the Valley Ho:

If you are our guest on Thursdays or Sundays, please enjoy our live music by the pool. The music is scheduled from 7pm to 9pm on Thursday and 2pm to 4pm on Sunday. We will see you there.

On 2006-07-31 12:15, WooHooWahine wrote:
WoooHoooo! Don't forget to bring your favorite "Plastic" Beverage Container for Poolside Drinks. Rumor has it that SoccerTiki will be mixing drinks at our Cabana sometime Saturday????? Keep your eyes open for more details..........:)

WhooooooooHoooooOOOOOO! Looking forward to a great weekend in the valley of the sun!!!! (Or is that Phoenix?) Either way, 96-101 degrees for the weekend is purrrfect! I'll make some drinks for any and all who show up!!!

UPDATED 8.02.06 Confirmed Attendees

As of today, August 2nd, seating for dinner at Trader Vic's is SOLD OUT! Thanks to everyone who RSVP'd. We are looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

Of course, if you are still interested in attending, please let me know or contact the restaurant directly to make dinner reservations.

NOTE>>>ALL TABLES WILL BE SEATED AT 7:30PM

**Of course, if you are on this list and you're NOT going to be able to make it, please let me know and I will release your seat and make sure we have a mai tai in your honor ** :D

Table One, SOLD OUT, 7:30PM, seats 8
· Al-ii (CONFIRMED 7.31)
· Tiki-Kate (CONFIRMED 7.31)
· Tiki-tina & Bamboo Boyd (CONFIRMED 7.31)
· Woohoo Wahine & Soccer Tiki (CONFIRMED 7.31)
· bb moondog & the Mrs. (CONFIRMED 7.31)

Table Two, SOLD OUT, 7:30PM, seats 6
· Cheeky Half & Mr Cheeky Half & Ellis (CONFIRMED 7.31)
· Mr & Mrs Tiki Fink & Guest (CONFIRMED 7.31)

Table Three, SOLD OUT, MOVED TO 7:30PM, seats 6
· Lovevw181 & 3 guests(CONFIRMED 7.31)
· ArizonaTiki & Mrs. ArizonaTiki

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-08-02 09:30 ]

Get ready Arizona Tiki Centralites! The tikiplane leaves tomorrow morning for a 4-day adventure into the urban jungle and watering holes of Scottsdale! We will be heavily armed with cash for primitive South-Seas artifacts and a BIG thirst for all drinks tropical! Our base camp will be at the Hotel Valley Ho and our hut will be opened to all with a thirst for adventurous drinks and wild jungle sounds like APE, Arthur Lyman, The Screaming Menehunes, The Martini Kings, King Kukulele and more!
We'll have our special satellite cellular phone so as not to be out of touch. Do we need to bring bugspray and/or beads/shells to trade with the natives?

WooooooooHoooooOOOOOOO!

SoccerTiki

Remember: What Happens in Scottsdale, Stays In Scottsdale :)

Hope you all have a super time...hoist a glass for me and the Mr. Still fuming we can't make it!

Stoopit probate court system...I curse you! A thousand rum drinks at you...all NON ALCOHLIC!! With rotten fruit on splintery umbrella pix. And may the cherry be a judge's eye ball!!

BOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Seriously you all...have a super swell time and come home safe!

Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation?- Jane Austen

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2006-08-02 14:53 ]

TF

Hello everyone!

Getting close to go time! We will be bringing the Ipod poolside DJ system so as not to be without music by the super cool exotic space age pool. Tunes include Arthur Lyman, Akira Ikufube, Webley Edwards, Robert Drasnin, Alferd Apaka, Martin Denny, The Ventures & The Barracudas to name a few. Bringing xtra tea leaves to contribute to the poolside bar!

C ya there!!!

T.F.

KC

I don't suppose anyone wants to meet up at Drift on Thursday night? That'll be the only night I'm in town unfortunately.... Wish I could be there Friday and Saturday.

The girlfriend and I are planning on dinner at TV's, and then going to Drift afterwards. If anyone decides to join us there, here's an identifying picture:

Not the best picture of me... but at least it gives you an idea.

Chris

Since I live right downtown, I will hook up with everyone at the Bikini--See ya Friday night!!
~~Cuzin Dave

Scottsdale is very TIKI!!!!!!! The Hotel Valley Ho is mid-century elegance and charm at it's best. (I can just see SHAG sitting out by the pool enjoying a cocktail.) The weekend hasn't even started and we've already put to use the good Dr. Z's "Not-Quite-Patented Hangover Remedy!!!! Thank you Dr. Z!!!!!!! And BIG THANKS to Tiki-Tina!!!! (Scottsdale's own Cheri Capri!) Our first day and evening and with our knowledgable tour guide we located tiki all over Scottsdale!!!!
See Below:

We (Tiki-Tina, Bamboo Boyd, WooHooWahine and I) stopped by Trader Vic's (right outside our hotel room door!) And met up with the G.M. Achim J. Berger (A.J.)

And the absolutely charming Mater d' Mike Emizawa

Then Kona Chris and his wahines stopped in for a couple libations

Alice (our cocktail waitress) kept our drinks flowing!!! And they were all very good drinks!

We also made it to Drift (a very cool tiki bar!!!) pictures from here later!

Wow!!! Now, the party(ies) start later today and carry through early Sunday morning!!! Chartered rides have been set up by Tiki-Tina so all can have fun without the risk of driving!

WooHooWahine and I will be pouring drinks later today/tonight in our Pool-side Cabana Suite rm 41-04....

WooooooHooooooOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-08-04 10:26 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies