Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

It's from the Mai Kai, but what is it?

Pages: 1 3 replies

R
rupe33 posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 4:47 AM

Hi everyone -
While prepping some scrapbooking materials, my girlfriend's Mom found this coaster-thing amongst her collectibles and gave it to me. She thought it was from the 1950s or '60s. Am not entirely sure what it is... the only suspicion I have is that it might have been a coaster that you slide onto a wine glass, hence the reason for the slit and the hole. Any thoughts?

Here's it wrapped around a bottle - it's open in the middle, but am still not entirely sure what its purpose is:

And here's a very close up that better shows the slit/hole combo:

Let me know what'cha think - I've not yet been to the Mai Kai so if this is something still in use and pretty common there, well... it's news to me! :)

Cheers,
Rupe

It kind of looks like a Door hanger, you know like the "Do not Disturb" hotel things.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 5:50 AM

It's a coaster. You use it for a footed glass like a wine or martini glass. You slide the foot into the slit and the stem comes up through the opening. It should be stapled closed on the side across from the slit. It's one of the earliest ones. 1950-60s.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-05-03 05:51 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 6:52 AM

Thanks very much for the confirmation, Swanky - this one is actually in excellent shape as well so it's a proud addition to my collection.

Zazz!
~Rupe

Pages: 1 3 replies