Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

My Mai Tai at the Ritz (London)

Pages: 1 3 replies

TC

long story short: had to go to a posh sort of event this evening w/ wife + friends. since we were already dudded up & in the neighborhood, we decided to stop by the famous rivoli bar at the ritz hotel.

while at the bar, i was surprised to see 'mai tai' on the 'long drinks' menu. of course, i ordered one. it tasted alright but, according to my taste buds, not really like a mai tai.

the drink's description in the menu read: golden rum, dark rum, orange curacao, grenadine, and orgeat syrup. it was garnished w/ Maraschino cherry, pineapple slice and a sliver of a bay leaf (i think) instead of a sprig of mint. excusing the variations, i was still a bit thrown off by the taste. i asked the waiter what rums were used. he zipped back to the bar & soon returned w/ 2 bottles of barcardi neatly displayed on a silver tray.

there ya go.

not the best mai tai. still, if you ever want to drink in an elegant example of art deco luxury, the rivoli's probably you're best bet.

P
pablus posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 5:09 PM

Tiki Chris, I forgot that you had moved to London.
I would've enjoyed meeting you.

Ah well. Someday.

I walked by the Ritz last Sunday and saw a steel drum player out there on the street... and now a Mai Tai story.

Hmmmm, something tropical going on there.

TC

well, i didn't arrive until last monday anyway. hope you had a good time. let me if you're ever back this way.

Which Bacardi did he use for the dark rum? Was it Bacardi Select?

Has anyone here tried Bacardi Select? Is it supposed to be a dark rum?

I thought it tasted pretty nasty as compared to, say, Myers.

Pages: 1 3 replies