Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ground has been broken on Portland's newest tiki bar

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

wow, new menu of food in place for Saturday night. Sold 14 Pu-pu platters.

The food menu is set minus the Indonean Lamb dish I'm working on.

For Veggies, I have the Veggie egg roll. Sorry, vegans, Haven't found the right solution. Extra fruit garnish?

I have hired a local graphic artist to work out the menus with drawings. As my custom mugs come in, the menu will expand.

Oh, the local artist, Noel (Tikitronic),he also did this lil' site: http://www.nwtiki.com/

Went to Thatch this past Friday night. Not surprisingly, the place was even more packed than the week before! We spent out time at the bar, drinking and conversing, and having a generally awesome time. Any problem with the fire retardants, no longer exists. As usual, my drinks were spot on, my shrimp were tasty, and it was good to feel welcome and at home while there.

This friday? I know where I'll be, no doubt!....as well as my sister, her boyfriend, and a gaggle of coworkers that I've enlightened!

And yes, I saw that PuPu platter Robert! Totally awesome :)

I required some good friends to go to Thatch on Saturday (and I went along as an out of body experience since my body is in So Cal). Said they loved the ambiance, the drinks were waaay strong and the PuuPuu platter was good but had to leave because the "stinging eye thing."

I have yet to make my way to Thatch, even though I live 5 mins from the place. I just moved to Portland 2 weeks ago so I am just getting my feet wet in the bar scene. I will probably go this weekend. Robert, I think the next drink you create should be called "The Stinging Eye". Wait even better, I will bring my VLV-9 mug (the one with one eye) and you could make it in that. How perfect!

thanks all for the support.

The "Stinging Eye" is lessening. It is the fire retardant spray. As the place ages with the fans blowing 24/7, it becomes less apparent.

Some drink ideas from customers:
The Tanya Harding, group drink served in Hubcap
The leper's finger: with a Vienna sausage perched on the rim

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

PS, both fountains working now!

Bravo Robertiki!
The photos I've seen of the place are killer! I'm also glad to see you've hired a local graphic artist to help with the menu. Please post the results on the final menu art - would love to see it! Good luck and hope you make some major $$$ for your efforts.

My sister is my barometer of environmental control, and she had no problem on friday with the stingings and the eyes. So, based on her verdict of no problem, I think it may be a non issue at this point.

As far as drinks go, there's a lot of class and style going on right now. So I have to ponder, hub caps? Vienna Sausages? I dunno... My suggestion would be to pour over that secret tome of tiki awesomeness behind the bar. "The Book" has some seriously good recipes in it. Maybe get the NW Tiki folks, or some of us local tiki central people together, pick say, a top 5, and test them out. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm willing to sacrifice my liver in pursuit of new libations.

And yes, Its only tuesday, but I'll be at thatch again tonight. And of course, I'm bringing a new person who's never been. Cant wait!

RB

Some drink ideas from customers:
The Tanya Harding, group drink served in Hubcap

Don't forget a miniature "club" for a stirrer in that one! :lol:

come on now.

You really think I'm gonna trash the place out with drinks like the Tonya HArding and the Leper's Finger?

Like I said, those are customer's comments.

Now does anybody have the recipe for the Jock Itch?

OK, it looks like I'll be in Portland on Feb. 24th. I've noticed that some of you mention that the food offerings are not robust, could you elaborate on this? I need to know if I should show up to eat and drink or if I'm better off eating before I arrive.

By the way, the stinging eye sounds like a great name for a drink. It's got a great back story.

[ Edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2007-01-31 09:26 ]

S

If you are interested, I can give you the top ranked drinks out of the Grogalizer votes. That's a really good starting point for the best of the best as judged by those who make a lot of the drinks in Berry's books. That's how I would start, along with the tried and true drinks like the Painkiller.

Now does anybody have the recipe for the Jock Itch?

Can't wait to see what THAT'S served in! :wink:

[ Edited by: Rum Balls 2007-01-31 11:57 ]

The Jock Itch should involve Makers Mark, Rumple Minze, and maybe some fresh cream. I would shake, with shaved ice, pour into a double tall, maybe garnish with some cherries soaked in blue curacao. I think that would be horrific enough to be called Jock Itch. Course, if you chase it with a shot of cinnamon schnapps just for some heat, that might really give it that push over the cliff.

Of course, now that I've written that out, I'm thinking that a handy supply of airline barf bags behind the bar might be a brilliant idea, for anyone dumb enough to drink such a concoction.

Tomorrow is friday. I'll be at Thatch. Where will you be? HMMMM?

[ Edited by: halicarnassus 2007-02-01 12:56 ]

RB

I've noticed that some of you mention that the food offerings are not robust, could you elaborate on this? I need to know if I should show up to eat and drink or if I'm better off eating before I arrive.

The food menu has grown substantially, so I don't think you need to eat somewhere else. Many Pu-Pu appetizers, a big Pu-Pu plate of all the appetizers, and several entres. Also a pineapple rum cake for dessert. My friend and I shared three pu-pus: crab rangoon w/ NW dungeness crab, skewered beef tenderloins, and veggie spring rolls. All were yummy!

Switching gears now, there's a short review of Thatch included in this story in today's Portland Tribune newspaper: http://www.portlandtribune.com/features/story.php?story_id=117037771224988900

And then there's this local blogger's review and comparison of Thatch & the Alibi: http://laurabush.info/2007/01/tiki-vs-tiki.html
My only quibble is with him using a Pina Colada to compare drinks in both places.

Well, many of you know that the highly awaited Thatch in Portland is now OPEN FOR BUSINESS. Went last week, and yowza, this bar is great; they get it, they really do. Getting great reviews too. Check out this awesome review on Portlandfoodanddrink.com

http://www.portlandfoodanddrink.com/?p=911#comments

I did finally make it out to Thatch last month and it was great. The music and atmosphere were dead on. The service was great though the plate was taken away before we could finish off that last bit of rum cake. I did see that some people came in and were drinking great big glasses of wine and I didn't see those on the menu. Is there some secret drink menu that I don't know about or a separate wine list?

Definitely need more drink choices but that will come with time and I look forward to going back to see how things have evolved.

Well good news to you then, yes, the version 2 of the drink menu is out and about. It includes the Zombie, the Tonga Punch, the Tiki Punch and bartender Ernie's own creation, the very stiff Donkey Punch.

The wine list. Harrumph. I own a wine bar a mere 3 doors away. Not everybody enjoys a hand-crafted cocktail I guess, and have 2 reds, 2 whites, and the bottle list from the wine bar.

Who am I to say "no" to these people. Bet you next time, they will try a donkey punch.
Robertiki.

RB

Woo-hoo, new drinks to try out!

I know you own a wine bar Robert and it is natural for some migration to take place (I wonder if a Mai Tai is available at Pour). I happen to enjoy wine and no one ever offered me a wine menu. I probably still would have gone with something more traditional given the surroundings but I would have liked the option and to see your offerings.

By the way the baby eater tikis are amazing, way bigger than I had imagined. I don't know how I missed these when visiting the Jasmine Tree but I'm glad they have a great new home.

I dont know about anyone else, but I make it out to thatch every friday night. I dont need to say it outright, but Robert knows how much I love the place. Last night, I got a chance to peruse the new drink menu and was thoroughly impressed. Having punches zombie's and singapore slings on the menu were a welcome addition, as I tend to favor these as well as the base standards of mai tai's and fog cutters. To a tee, I was pleased.

Anyway, if anyone comes in on a friday night after 8, its a good bet I'll be there. Come friday nights, I cant think of any place I'd rather be!

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies