Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Woodpecker Damage

Pages: 1 9 replies

J

Ok, so this woman called me up in tears because a woodpecker had attacked her totem.

The totem was carved over 30 years ago by a fellow from Vancouver Island. He died last year. The couple asked me to repair it. It was in dire need, completely hollow, ready to split apart, bottom was rotten etc. So I fixed it, rejuvinated the paint and wood a bit, trying to keep the cool aging affect. She loved it. That was last year.

So this woodpecker started drilling holes in her house...developing a pad hoping to attract the female woodpeckers, (that's what totem lady said.) Anyway, she covered up the holes, when she left the house the woodpecker attacked the totem.

Here it is after i repaired it.

How does one stop the woodpecker from drilling a hole again?

[ Edited by: j.s.g. 2006-05-13 18:00 ]

P

shotgun

T

On 2006-05-13 17:16, pdrake wrote:
shotgun

My sediments exactly! BLAM! Hunt that sukker down!

Beautiful repair job, J.S.G.

Bosko had a similar experience, but the woodpecker left and all worked out. Some of us have had similar experience with swallows in South O.C. It's my understanding that once they move in and build mud nests all over your eaves, you can't by law remove them. I have, but don't tell anyone.

J

that is the cutest little woodpecker in the bosko tiki. nature and art...living together, cool.

however, the woman who commissioned to do the repair feels she has quite an art investment, which is true, the woodcarving has some history, and its so dang cool, plus the original repair was an investment too. if it were my totem, i would leave it.

so I gave her a chunk of dead cedar log for her garden, maybe the woodpecker will go after that.

as far as shooting it...i'm not a good shot...the woodpecker might come after me and poke my eye out or something.

[ Edited by: J.S.G. 2006-05-14 11:05 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 14, 2006 1:19 PM

I won a marksman spot to the USPSA/IPSC Speed Shooting Nationals in 2001 by winning the Florida State Championship for my class. I can take the bugga out (in under 2 seconds :lol: ) however, I bet he is protected by the ESA or some other laws that would give me 25 - 30 years rest at Club Fed. Best to just leave him alone and move the carving.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: gman 2006-05-15 05:27 ]

JSG - beautiful job on the repair and on your carvings too. You are one VERY talented carver

About the woodpecker, do we know what type of woodpecker it is? I think you giving the customer a pile of ceder logs was a good idea, but it would also be interesting to see if this particular species of woodpecker had a type of wood that it is attracted to and then put some of that in the yard...although that may attract MORE woodpeckers...
also, what type of wood is the totem carved from?
maybe find out if this species has any predators and somehow mimik (sp?) a predator in the yard (maybe scent of a predator, or fake owl or something along those lines). I've succesfully removed unwanted "guests" from under my house that way.

I'm just thinking "out load", maybe you've already done all this research.

Oh, and Aaron, you're in deep doo-doo, bro. :wink:

J

Polynesiac,

The behavior of the woodpecker is fascinating to try and figure out. It's a pileated. The woodcarving is cedar. I guess woodpeckers peck for many reasons, food, attracting a mate, homes. I have to check to see what kind of predators they have, scanning the web real quick, I saw something about snakes setting up camp in the holes and homes of the pecker. But owls might be too. Thanks for the suggestions.

GMAN...so you're a sure shot...well, I'm kinda developing an admiration for the woodpecker...or else I'm sure the owners would love to invite you over, (but I'm not telling them about you). They can just move the totem inside. :)

The trick with fake snakes works for a little while. We have Red Headed Woodpeckers down here and one developed a facination with pecking my metal chimney cover (7am and it echoed throughout the whole house). Doves also liked the spot because the chimney amplified their voices. I placed a rubber snake around the top of the chimney and no more bird noises. However, the snake has since disappeared - I fear it was taken as prey for an Osprey. I will be replacing the snake soon.

S

Oh. Woodpecker. The bird. I was thinking something else...

Pages: 1 9 replies