Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Beachnik's Carvings (UPDATED 1/11/07)

Pages: 1 37 replies

I would like to say how stoked I am to have stumbled across TC a few months ago and became a member immediately. The info available is overwhelming, but in a good way! I am not new to tiki, just new to TC. Thank's for letting me in!

Started carving about ten years ago as a student of a Hungarian master carver named Bela Ferencz. I was bitten by the carving bug and carved with Bela for about 3 years. As most can probably relate, job, family,and school took most of my time and sapped all the carving time from me. I would think about it everyday...I missed the cuts and splinters! I decided to get back into carving this past January and jumped in full blast! This time, I would use what knowledge I have about oceanic art/tiki and let the carving begin.

My first tiki. Took a long time using all small chisels. I even stripped the palm with a chisel...what a rookie!

My second experiment. The log was in really bad shape when I started and progressively got worst.

My Pele relief panel.

Starting my third tiki.I was inspired by Tiki Jungle. Thanks bro!

Finished product ready for my back yard.

The fourth project...My first dealing with a open mouth...help!

The fifth piece...kind of evolved while carving.

Finished this Maori/abstract?? piece today. More tung oil tomorrow.

I have some ideas in my head for the next couple of pieces. Need to secure the lumber. Will post pics when getting started.

Thanks to all the tiki carvers at TC for the inspiration to get back into the obsession we all have!
Beachnik

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-22 21:29 ]

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-22 22:04 ]

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2006-06-06 22:35 ]

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2006-12-05 20:28 ]

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2007-01-11 22:03 ]

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2007-01-11 22:06 ]

After posting I found out how small the pictures were. Either I need to break out the magnifying glass or figure out how to make them bigger. The latter sounds better. Any advice?? I will repost pics at a viewable size shortly. What a way to start out at TC....Help!

Mahalo in advance,
Beachnik

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 4:18 AM

Hey welcome to TC!

I think you picked the link for a thumbnail size pic, not fullsize link (or the original pics were tiny!).

Hard to make out detail but they look pretty good man!

Hey TC, got my act together and figured out how to post FULL size pics. Heres five months worth of work filling my house!

Mahalo,
Beachnik

That's better! You look like a natural carver! I dig the outriggeresque fella at the bottom. Go So-Cal!

NICE work...you're a natural..

Love the Pele relief panel!
All your stuff has a great clean look to it.
Keep up the great work!

B

Really nice sruff Beachnik. For your first few back, these are Really tight and the detail is nice and crisp. Excellent job. Looking forward to some great carvings from you..

I taught him everything he knows!!.....well , not really, but I hope my tiki ravings during my haircuts (yes, he carves people too) were a little spark to get him motivated!. You should see his "real" carvings, way scary amounts of talent and the nicest guy around. Welcome.TWT

great rendition of JT's homage to The Tikis! THis one rocks. what is that the tiki is leaning on??? Gallows????

Welcome aboard, matey, you ever do any tiki haircuts?

Hey everybody,thanks for checking out my pieces. I'm stoked that you guys enjoyed the carvings. Sharing the same passion for tiki is what it's all about and I look forward to letting the wood chips fly.

And yes, that is a stockade holding the large tiki. I removed the top locking portion of the stock for my own protection. It is mighty uncomfortable I do say!

Mahalo,
Beachnik

Hey welcome to the carving scene on TC - great to see your work - the details are really getting fined tuned - keep it up!

right...stockade, not gallows...a gallow is what you hang people on. That'd be kinda kreepy if you had one of those in your back yard. THanks for the correction! I gotta keep my terminology right. cool tikis and good luck with your palm search, I'm sure you'll find some. You can also call local tree trimmers too, if you don't find any on the side of the street.

Hey Marcus, thanks for the welcome mat! I'm checking out a few books on the Maori to get some mask ideas. Your part of the planet is the place to be...Australia and New Zealand yeaaaa!
Polynesiac, not a bad idea to have a gallows in my yard to go with the stockade. You can never have to many creepy things laying around the yard! By the way, were you at Tiki Oasis showing your wares in the tent? If that was you, you had a lot of very cool tikis on display. I was there on Sunday and had a blast.

Beachnik

Started this maori over the weekend with some old hardwood I found in my woodpile. Hard as concrete!

Need to finish the tats and texture tomorrow. I just picked up a new V-tool and used it on this one. Like cutting coco butter in the tropical sun! Anybody have ideas on what to put on as a finish to come as close as I can with the original? Doesn't help that the wood is so dark! Let me know.

This is a basswood panel of a war canoe I am starting. Can you tell one of the warriors jumped over board? He should be in the second to last spot. I totally ruined him...well, that is what glue is for! Will show the finished pix as they happen.

Worked some more at it since last update. Getting there!

Later,
Beachnik

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-22 22:34 ]

Nice work!

Nice to see the carved panel. I'm starting on a couple of my own again... its fun to make 3D from 2D.

B

Beachnik, You Really captured the spirit and being of that maori guy. Very Well done!

Nice stuff, the Maori looks great. But the panel really catches my eye...good stuff! No worries with the man who bailed off the canoe, he'll hitch a ride on the next panel ya do!

Again very nice work. You were born to carve. That much versatility this early on is superb.

J

Great tikis. The panel is very noteworthy and well done, even with the man-overboard. I hope you post more progress shots as you finish it up.
JP

Hey TC, thanks for the glance at my works in progress. The maori carver (yes, that is supposed to be an adze in hand!) is about finished. No more carving on him, just some coats of tung oil for the final steps. The war canoe panel is basswood and should cut like balsa compared to the maori made of brown cement!

Lake Surfer- Relief carving is a nice break from carving in the round. I dig it! Thanks for the comps on the canoe panel. I can't wait to check out some of your panels too!

Benzart- I really appreciate your input on the maori carver piece. Now I know that the tiki gods are smiling down on us!

Surfintiki- Throw the guy a life preserver if you see him! Not sure if I should glue in a piece and re carve him or leave him be?? He is off with the sharks I think.

Basement Kahuna- I guess you can say that I have the carving addiction...can't get enough! Thanks for the inspiration and keep carving, especially those amazing weapons!

Johnny P- More pics will be coming soon. I usually carve at night but the neighbors are getting pissed! Took the night off to smooth things over. This weekend they get the sweet sound of CHAINSAW!

Cheers, Beachnik

[ Edited by: Beachnik 2006-05-23 23:54 ]

goddamn!, some talent!. I can not believe the talent hidden in that gentle, quiet dude. I am so glad you are carving , what a waste it could have been if you had just "retired".Keep on making sawdust. Peace. TWT

TD

bravo! very nice work there. i agree with the others when they say your a natural. your an inspiration to others for sure. i, along with the others, am very impressed.
and i am serious when i say it
bravo!

B

The only retirement I want is from my day job! Carving all day is what I'm talkin about!! Palm stumps, saw dust and rum...yea.

Twowheel, thanks for the comps. You know, the beast comes out when the chisel and mallet are in hand. I live for this stuff!

Tiki Duddy, hope you score some good logs and I'm looking forward to checking out your tikis. Welcome to the tiki madness and thanks for checking out my current projects.

Beachnik

B

Been a long time since I had a post. Feels great to be back to TC. I was sidetracked for 6 months due to a move, new business startup, and the general daily mayhem we all encounter. I am so bummed that I missed a chance to meet some awesome carvers down in San Diego this past October. I just saw the thread and pics...what a great time the bunch must of had! I'm sure the pics only tell half the story!

I must say that the tiki spirit is strong as hell, and a day does not go by that I don't think about the next tiki to carve.

Here are some pics of a commission I just bubble wrapped and delivered to one happy soul! The tiki is 6 ft, made of palm, heavy as hell, stained for some shadow, and 3 coats of poly for durability. This is my first piece since last June.

More to come and I will post new pics as they become available.

Once again, glad to be back carving!
Beachnik

Nice chops again Beachnik... good to see ya back at it. It is a disease alright... I've tried to take more than a couple months off and broke down... found a mallet in my hand again carving another piece of wood. Great classic look to this one, the new owner will be proud!

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 3:09 AM

Welcome to TC. Excellent panel work. I have only tried one and it wasn't 10% the quality of yours sir.

I know we can relate as I quote..."Palm stumps, saw dust and rum...yea."

Brilliant

Mahalo

McTiki

B

WELCOME Back Beachnik, Been a Really long time. Nice tiki, we've missed you 'round these parts and Glad you ventured back in!

Starting my third tiki.I was inspired by Tiki Jungle. Thanks bro!

You're welcome! You're well on your way. Nice work.

:music: And the Band played on :music:

MR

That thing looks great! Thanks for sharing your stuff.

F

Nice work, keep the Tiki's a comin'.

awesome work keep at it

Hey TC faithful!
First of all, I would like to thank Marcus, Frostiki, Matt, Jungle Trader, Benzart, McTiki and Lake Surfer for their words of encouragement on my last posting of pics. I look forward to checking in with the crew when I can! Here are projects I carved for friends in late December based on their favorite images.

This mask is 16 inch tall by 14 inch wide. Flat on back for wall hanging. 3 coats of polyurethane over natural palm.

24 tall by 16 wide, also flat on back. Cherry stain on palm with 3 coats of clear lacquer. Was not the finish I was looking for, but that's what experiments are for!

These are 2.5 to 3 inches tall. I purchased my first hook knife and really didn't have a clue how to really use it properly, but these are the outcome. Wasn't sure if I was to pull knife toward me or away, but the wood was flying like crazy. I'll search sight for help on that subject!

Think I'll have a rum drink with my lacquer buzz!!

Beachnik

B

Cool lookin Stuff Beachnik! Next time you start a carving, take some progress shots and show us How you do them, what tools and stuff like that. Thanks

M

Great stuff Beachnik! I like the finish on the squat guy, what were you trying for? I really like how he pops out from the darker background.
Good job on the hook knife too! Sometimes I do towards me, sometimes away. I try to keep my thumb on the carving as much as possible as a pivot point as you get more control. The most important thing is to watch where your other fingers are, make sure they're not in the way if your blade does keep going. I'm sure others have more info, but those are the best tips I picked up from Benzart at the Oki Oki.

Looking good Beachnik! Love the clean lines on the Tang... one of my favorite styles. Sometimes less is more on tikis.
The others are looking good also. Keep it up!

Git yerself one of these... fairly inexpensive and will reduce those headaches and possible health problems in the future. Especially if you're working in close quarters.
I use mine all the time now.

J

Nice, I love your style.

I have a hook knife, and don't know how to use it either. But by the looks of it, you have it down.

JP

B

It's great to be able to check in at TC two days in a row!

Benzart- Thanks for checking out my projects. I am constantly looking for my missing digital camera when I'm working on pieces,thanks to my daughter who likes to BORROW the camera when I need it most. I'll make a point to hide the camera 24 hours before carving to throw her of track! More pics to come.

Mieko- I was at a hardware store to buy some polyurethane when I came across the lacquer on sale. I had never used lacquer before but I figured "What the heck". The moral to my story...If you want a polyurethane finish, use polyurethane! Thanks for the hook knife info too. It is a little knife with major cutting power! I am already thankful I bought a bullet proof safety glove when that knife ran down my hand!

Lake Surfer- Yea, the Tang is a very cool traditional style. Thanks for the tip on the respirator...I plan on getting one asap. I was using the lacquer on Monday evening, outdoors,and in the Malibu burning wind and still accidently got loaded on the fumes! Made watching the National Championship interesting.

JohnnyP- Thanks for checking out the pics. That hook knife is something else. At this point, everything is experimental with it. I love the fact that it removes wood so quickly. I'll put it to use this weekend and hope I still have 10 fingers on Monday!

Beachnik

Pages: 1 37 replies