Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Atomic Age Pamphlet

Pages: 1 12 replies

Anyone collect this kind of stuff? I found this in a drawer of a house we bought years ago. That's Portland taking a big hit with Mt. Hood in the background. On the back: Other Civil Defense training Bulletins (available from your block warden.)
No. 1. Atomic Bomb Information
No. 2. Preperation of Home Shelter or Refuge Room.
No. 3. Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting in the Home.
No. 4. Biological Warfare and Chemical Warfare Information.

B

I don't collect them, but I do have one. Mine was found in my late grandmother's home while cleaning it out... it is both funny and sad, since the information inside gives the very false impression to the population that in the event of our getting hit with a bomb you will be ok in your little shelter...

...reminds me of a South Park episode in which they show some kookie video of how to survive a volcano eruption... stop, drop, and roll.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 17, 2006 7:49 PM

I dont collect but Id be interested in seeing more pics of it

Great find :)

Now that you know how to survive, I believe you are obligated to tell the rest of us. :wink:

From my extensive research, I have learned it is best to duck and cover.

I think I have something similar. The packrat in me immediately recognized it as something to save forever (and misplace). I remember being cheered by the fact that we haven't been nuked yet.

P

I have a fallout shelter pamphlet from Civil Defense. I am fascinated by cold war propaganda, and fallout shelters are at the top of that list.

P

I do collect that stuff. I have government brochures, helmets, radiation detectors, etc.

My future home bar (gotta graduate and get a house first) is already started by way of my collection of cold war and civil defense material. In my (future) house, bomb shelters and tiki bars will go together like peas and carrots. That way we have plenty to do and drink during the apocalypse.

Love the atomic age !!!

I used to sell digital Geiger counters, radioactive items, Cold War ephemera, and other stuff. I still have some Trinitite, which is the material created during the first atomic bomb test. You'd be surprised how much everyday stuff is radioactive. Even salt substitute is measurably radioactive. My favorite is the vibrant orange vintage Fiesta Ware, which used uranium for the glaze. Beautiful, and makes a Geiger counter go crazy!

Bomb shelters actually would protect from the worst of the radiation, assuming your shelter survived the initial blast. The risk after that comes from ingesting or inhaling the longer-lived (but less damaging) isotopes. You probably could survive a nuclear war—not that you'd want too! :D

I just recently got rid of an old Gonset III CD ham radio similar to this:

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-25 16:34 ]

P

Ohmanohman, I would love to have one of those...

Once a collector gets into that stuff the wallet has to bend open a lot farther than normal, though.

The only piece in my atomic collection is the Davy Crockett atomic weapon dummy training round. You never know what will turn up when your out junking around :D

A pin perfect for Atomic Tiki Punk, except that it is missing the punk.

From what I can tell these pins were given out to people that witnessed French nuclear testing in Moruroa. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of French can interpret.

I found it on this website.

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,263919581,var,815eme-transmissions--Mururoa-Tahiti-CEP--atome-tiki-cocotier--Polynesie--Drago-Paris,language,E.html#tabs-1

Pages: 1 12 replies