Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Owls haunting our Tiki Carving

Pages: 1 24 replies

Has anyone else had owls come and watch them carve their tikis? 3 nights out of the last 4 that I was out carving, in two locations, screech owls came out and landed on some of the finished, or nearly finished tikis we have standing around our work sapces.

I have not lived in my house long enough to know if they were common before but I know that last year I didn't see any...and my friend has never seen owls close up in his yard in 40 years of living in the same house.

Tonight, one came down and landed on an old palm trunk that is still in the ground. A few minutes later a baby came over and the first flew off to get it some food several times leaving the baby only about 10 feet away on the post. Last week, one landed on a tiki that I wasn't working on and stayed there as I chipped away for another hour...including walking right past it, within 2 feet, to go get an ice cold refreshing can of PBR...

Is this common for any one else?

Thanks from Tampa!

They are not owls. They are spirits. You're in for some major good luck.

S

I'd say you've got the mojo working over time! That is scary awesome. You should post pictures of those tikis because they've got the power.

B

Luck type depends on whooo you ask, The Seminole Indians consider the Owl a Bad Omen and their medicine man are afraid of them.

WARNING: THIS POST HAS A PICTURE OF A DEAD ANIMAL IN IT
Invite the owl in to your house. Take a fresh mouse and hand it to the owl.

The owl will use the mouse for food

After you do this several times, the owl will be your friend

If you can handle the sight of this

Once he is your friend, everything will be fine.

On the serious side: This owl was rescued from a tree that the tree service took down recently. He was very young when the tree came down. He was raised by hand and is currently learning how to find his own food. If any of you animal rights lovers think this is cruel, I will voice your opinions to the tree trimmers so next time they will just grind it up in the shredder.

K
Kono posted on Tue, May 23, 2006 3:54 PM

I posted this in another thread:

On 2005-01-25 15:35, Kono wrote:
Glen Grant's "Obake Files" has three stories about supernatural Pueo. From The Pueo's Revenge:

*Vengeance could also be meted out by the 'aumakua who had been neglected or desecrated. Samuel M. Kamakau relates the story of the man living at Kipahulu who one day saw a dead owl on the roadside. Only the wings and bones of the bird were left, held together by a few feathers. The head was missing.

Dropping his trousers to show the dead owl his okole, backside, the man with a sneer said, "Bird of mana that you are, O Owl, what was it that caused your Death? Here is a head for you!"

At that moment a part of the man's intestines slipped out, "like an octopus tentacle" drying in the sun. Horrified and in abject pain, he went to a kahuna who said, "You exposed your buttocks as a head for the owl and treated the owl with contempt."*

The man followed the kahuna's instructions on how to properly repent and his intestines eventually crawled back up his bum. Don't mess with owls!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12893&forum=1

H

On 2006-05-23 15:07, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

After you do this several times, the owl will be your friend

What a friendly looking bird! :)

On 2006-05-23 15:07, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
If any of you animal rights lovers think this is cruel, I will voice your opinions to the tree trimmers so next time they will just grind it up in the shredder.

Why would they think that? You saved a beautiful life!
Is that a Great Horned owl?
Great job Bay Park Buzzy!
Nature rules.

M

I think you are very lucky to have night visitors to watch you work, they appreciate your sight that's for sure. I hope they keep coming to share your company, I bet a little snack might just help.

Owls are too cool! What a nice deed to save the owl from a certain fate. I bet nobody has a fine feathered friend like that unless they have a vulture or bat in their living room! All I have is a sick dog watching me carve.
Beachnik

H

Buzzy, is this owl able to fly away if it wants to? Can it fly or is it injured? How does it just stay there like that...It is real interesting because I think of owls as wild, and free and hard to keep around. Looks pretty contend.

awesome.
i wonder if you're using some sort of electric drill or other power tool makes a sounds that attracts them?

T

Swigging down some chippy PBR want did you expect, suprising you didn't have Busch Gardens at your door !!!!

O

I have several families of owls in the palm trees on my property. Most years there are enough palm fronds for them to nest in but not this year. I think they are barn owls, they have white wings from the bottom and they are grey. They are smaller than a great horned owl. It was so noisy a few years ago with three nests full of babies but it was cool. Hopefully they will like tiki carving as well and settle in next year and if they don't like carving, oh well. I will post some pictures when they return next year.

Ojaitimo

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-27 15:41 ]

Ok, I slacked and totally forgot about this thread. I'm sorry I missed the GREAT things you all had to say and the positive input!

We were not using any power tools at all, actually...only rubber mallets and chisels. I think I posted a pic of this guy before, but here is the one I was working on while the visitors were around. I ended up coating him with some deck waterproofing and the rain beads off of him like it does on a duck's back. Hope the owls come back this Spring/Summer!

Take care, have fun and WATCH THOSE KNUCKLES!
-TampaTiki

Owls are wonderful birds to watch....they can get pretty big and are very graceful. When I was a teenager, we moved from Point Loma (in San Diego) out to the country (Lakeside) about 40 miles from San Diego. My Dad bought a 10 acre property with a huge ranch home, swimming pool and horse corrals. It was a dream to live there for an animal lover. We had deer in our valley, coyotes, a rare mountain lion, road runners, pheasants, owls, hawks, bats, and rattle snakes (I know how to use a hoe!!! LOL).

We had a pair of huge white owls that lived in one of the big oak trees on the property. It was eerie to see them come out a night cause they were huge and white and would fly up around the pool. Lots of time me and my sister and my Mom would be swimming at night and the owls would be swooping around. The scary times were when the bats swooped down into the pool for a drink and we were swimming.

Owls are inquisitive and I think they must live close to you and find your yard interesting. Maybe they appreciate your bringing the spirit out in those logs. You should feel honored that they visit you, they should bring you good luck. Here is a nice article about animal totems and the messenger spirit of owls. http://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/OwlTotem.html

Thanks for posting the tiki that shared your owl visit. :tiki:

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

VampTiki

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-17 19:03 ]

Thanks for the link...Benzart mentioned that Seminoles found the Owl Spirit not really lucky...and living, as we both do, in Florida, it is another thought to ponder!

On another note, Bay Park Buzzy! How's your room mate?

Thanks and Mahalo to all,
TampaTiki

On 2007-02-17 19:28, TampaTiki wrote:
On another note, Bay Park Buzzy! How's your room mate?

After I gave him a couple of Mai Tais, he seemed to be down with the whole tiki thing :)

He just ordered a pendant from me. He wants to look like a tiki guy too. He's also looking to trade his stash of dead mice for the cocojoe's owl ashtray. PM me if any of you want me to broker the deal for you...

Buzzy Out!

P
pdrake posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 2:35 PM

i'm not sleeping in that room.

T

How is it that this thread has existed as long as it has without some old-timer reminding the newbs about this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8104&forum=6

Which in turn lead to this one:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12893&forum=1

???

HOK

On 2007-03-04 14:35, pdrake wrote:
i'm not sleeping in that room.

Pleasant Dreams ... Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

it's great that you helped that owl. but I'd be careful about who knows about it. having that owl could cost you a steep penalty, and lots of legal trouble.

B

Perhaps Owls like tikis too. I Certainly Love this one and the eyes are really cool (on the tiki!) Well the Owls eyes are too.

CA

if you were a Hopi Indian in AZ you would be f'ed... the messenger of death and night spirits etc... the owl is...........

good thing your not Hopi.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 4:17 PM

And nobody knows owls better than

Pages: 1 24 replies