Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Questions For Bill Sapp / Kahiki Owner/ Mystery Bowl Found / New pics

Pages: 1 41 replies

I am going to meet with Bill Sapp. Mr Sapp and Lee henry created the Kahiki. And hopfuly Skip long time bartender for Kahiki. I would like to get ideas for questions for Them. I will try to have Jeff Central there so maybe this could be an artical for Tiki magazine. Thank you.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-06-05 16:10 ]

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-06-14 16:26 ]

How about some old drink recipes. I am dying to know what went into the Idol's Cast.

S

Where did he visit before the started to open the Kahiki? I think he said Trader Vic's in Chicago. There had to have been more places that inspired the Kahiki. What about Martin Denny? Quiet Village? Any actual connection to Mr. Denny?

Were there plans for the Kahiki that never came to light? Maybe a hula revue?

Did he ever think about opening other places, maybe on a smaller scale elsewhere?

What was the original Mystery Bowl and who made it?

P

Can you list some of the famous folk that would make the trek to Columbus for a night at the Kahiki?

Do you remember me? I was 2-3 years old and came there often, I'm told.

:wink:

(Actually, I kind of remember the big tikis but I'm not sure if it's a memory or a projection from some other source.)

I seem to remember that he was inspired by the Don The Beachcomber's in Chicago (the same place that inspired the Thornton brothers to open the Mai Kai!), so you could check on that and other influences. And ask who Jack Hite (HiTiki) was. (I guess Jeff will do that too :) ).
Also, about making Tiki mugs in their own kiln in the basement.
And if he has any old photos in general, like of the upstairs lounge, by the offices, with that great black and orange domino-shaped SHAG CARPET WALLPAPER!

Great ideas! I do know this. They will not give out the recipes. The family kept nothing at all from the kahiki. I don't think they even have any photos. Bill told me that Mr Herny and bill went to Chicago and the only place doing any business was Trader Vic's so thats why the polynesian theme.

Tell bartender Skip hi for me--I am the one that brought them the photo of Jim and Skip that my buddy took and I stayed for the last 4 nights of the Kahiki's existence. Where is JIM? -bruce smiley

I just saw Jim after not seeing him for a long time. Jim now works at the tropical Bistro, In columbus Ohio.

On 2006-05-23 11:57, tikiskip wrote:
I just saw Jim after not seeing him for a long time. Jim now works at the tropical Bistro, In columbus Ohio.

He makes some killer Mai Tais too!!!

Great idea skip, I will mention this to Nick at Tiki Magazine. I am sure he would absolutely LOVE something like this. I too want to know more about this mysterious HiTiki or J.J. Hite. Bigbro said his first name was Jack (see above)so that's a start. I would also like to learn more about the "Grass Shack" that stood on the grounds where the Kahiki was. Also, more info is needed on the idea for the building. The architect I believe was Corbin? Where did the ideas for a giant war canoe come from? Where did the money come to originally build this monster Polynesian restaurant? These are just a few, but my mind is reeling right now. I am sure we will hook up when the time comes.

Good job Skip!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Jeff write a list of questions down so you will be ready. I did hear that the Grass Shack burned down the night of Bill Sapps birthday. That was also the night before they broke ground on the kahiki.

On 2006-05-24 09:16, tikiskip wrote:
Jeff write a list of questions down so you will be ready. I did hear that the Grass Shack burned down the night of Bill Sapps birthday. That was also the night before they broke ground on the kahiki.

Sounds good Skip. When are you doing this? PM me and let me know the details.

Keep those questions coming people. This may be the only chance we get to talk to the originator of the Kahiki. I will check back periodically.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M

On 2006-05-24 06:28, Jeff Central wrote:

. Also, more info is needed on the idea for the building. Where did the money come to originally build this monster Polynesian restaurant?

Good job Skip!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I heard it was Mob financed.....the Mai Tai Mafia, that is!!! :)

ok-who is going to use that name? UPDATE: just did a search and some one IS already using Mai Tai Mafia!

Mr. Smiley is the most thirstiesterest of
all!
Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-05-24 09:40 ]

S

How about some history on how the Kahiki worked with Hoffman pottery? Did the mug designs come from the restaurant end or did they leave design work to the studio?

Who did the artwork for this particular menu- http://www.herrold.com/kahiki/mural.jpg ? I've always loved that one best of all.

Who were some of the women whose names should be mentioned in connection with the actual creation of and running of the Kahiki? (I'm researching female 'legends' of Tiki).

Can you get some general overarching feel for just the magnitude of what it took to be the Kahiki, I mean aquarium care, caring for the birds, gardeners, chefs, the coat check on and on, this was a major operation, can you get some details that really show how different it was from today's restaurants in terms of scale, and just how much it took to keep the Kahiki in existence?

And man, whatever happened to the gong? I wasn't there at the end, was it auctioned along with other pieces or did it go to someone in particular?

Most of all though, express all our deep gratitude for the many many years of keeping the torch lit and being for me at least, my first experience with Tiki- an encounter that left a lifelong impression, and a debt that can never be repaid.

Mahalo for doing this! I eagerly await tales... .

Great questions Sabina! THANKS!!! I like your legendary women of Tiki idea too! Good Luck!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Good questions Sabina. I do know that the gong is now used at the Kahiki Outlet. I think they bang it for break time? Also bills first wife made alot of The pottery, Ashtrays,Lamps.

howzabout, why did he sell it to that chinese restaurant wanna be rat bastard? got egg rolls?

Michael Tsao was hired away from Trader Vic's by Bill Sapp and Lee Henry to become their manager for many years, then when they got tired of running the business, they sold it to him, which is a common story: At the waning of the Tiki trend the white owners had made their money, decided to pull out, and the Chinese help inherited the place.
I personally thank the Tsao family for having run the place and keeping it the same for such a long time. Chinese people are usually the hardest working and most resilient in that business. They and the Filipino community are the unsung, behind the scenes heroes of Tiki restaurant history. Tiki empires like Trader Vic's would not exist without them.
One could ask Bill Sapp about what a demanding, 24 hour job it is to run such a place, and why he retired from it when he did.

T

I think there was someone before Mr Tsao. Mich Boych? A guy from Youngstown Ohio. In the coal and lime business. I think Mich brought in Mr Tsao. I wonder how a 26? year old Mr Tsao got his hands on a one millon dollar restaurant? Also I don't think Mr Sapp wanted to sell I think Lee Henry sold the Kahiki. To Mr Boych. Then Mr boych sold to Mr Tsao. I called Mr Sapp the other day, He is opening a new restaurant. Not Tiki. So he said to call the first of the week. Maybe then we will know the answers to these questions.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-05-27 10:39 ]

H

Boxers or briefs?

Raaaaight! Mitch Boych, I remember that name now. I really want to hear more about the succession of owners...
Another interesting question is about that woman who I met at the Kahiki closing party that told me I was wrong giving Coburn Morgan all the architect/designer credit, and that HER dad (?) was the contracter and had really done it all. Who was Coburn Morgan, and why did he get the job (what WAS his job exactly?), and who else was involved in the concepts/design?

T

Yeah you hear alot of things about the Kahiki. Lots of gambling, Mob ties? I know this Mr Tsao only said a few things one was, were not making any money. And the other was AAALLOOOOHHAA!

Skip, You constantly amaze me with your detailed investigations into all that is the Kahiki.
Keep up the great work!

And thanks for having me as a guest in your tiki hideaway.

Tfunk47

T

Thanks U47. Your wellcome any time. Talked to bill the other day and he told me that they only made 25 of the Hoffman pottery Mystery drink bowls. "They were expensive and broke easily, We broke like one a week!" So that means there is probably only one and a half of those bowls out there! Swanky may be right. That bowl could be the rarest of the rare.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-06-03 16:09 ]

Jeff Central and I just left Mr sapp. What a great interview! He answered all questions asked above. Plus more. The interview lasted about 1 hour. I showed him some pictures I had. Some were of his family, and he did not have any of these photos! I will send him copies. I also showed him the book of tiki. He had not seen that ever. He looked at the picture on page 19 in the book of tiki and started naming the people in the postcard! Thats lee,there's santo,Those guys were barteneders. Amazing. I will send him a book of tiki if I can find one as well. I implore anyone who knows, Or is in ear shot of the pioneers of tiki to get them to talk about what they did. Bill had forgot alot. Lets get the info now while we can. The interview will be in a future Tiki Magazine. Thank You Bill Sapp!!! P.S. Thanks also goes to Jeff for his skills as well.

Most of the thanks goes to you skip for spearheading this interview with a true Tiki Pioneer! The interview went very well. Bill is such a sweet guy and I thought he did fairly well answering all the questions that we had. We picked his brain pretty good. He seems to be in good health too for a guy who is nearing 80.

Boy, he sure had some neat stories to tell. I could listen to him all day long and never get tired. Simply Amazing!!

Thanks again skip!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K

My jealousy is profound. Can't wait to see you guys and hear the scoop. What's going on Friday night?

Ahu

T

Jeffs out of town. I'm helping Brad at Largo's. Next week?

coburn morgan was an architect. there was just an article in the columbus paper about this mid century modern house he designed for a friend here in c-town. and he built the same desk in the guy's study, as in the kahiki office. lots of bamboo trim around the room, with an african motiff. some cool pic's. my former roommate's father knew him, and was going to have him design some type of patio building.

T

Actualy the woman Bigbro met was right. Bill said Mr coburn did the decoration of the Kahiki. "Coburn was more out going so he got credit for the buliding" But the guy that came up with the building idea was Bennie or Bernnie Altonbock. It took 1 year to build.

K

Here's a link tot he Dispatch article on Coburn Morgan. The photos are awesome!

http://www.cd.columbus.oh.us/homegarden/homegarden.php?story=dispatch/2006/05/14/20060514-I1-01.html

There's a picture of an office with a LAVA ROCK DESK!

TOO COOL!

[ Edited by: Kaikaina 2006-06-02 07:34 ]

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 1:18 PM

[sarcasm]Love the "African theme" in his office, with the tapa cloth on the walls and stuff.[/sarcasm]

T

Thanks for that post/link Kaikaina. It's interesting that the Dispatch artical states that mr Morgan desinged the desk. So that would jive with Mr Sapps asertion that he did the interior decorations.

T

I just met a guy who said he knows the son Of the guy who made the mugs. Mr Hoffman. So I call Mr Hoffman up and we talk for half an hour. To make a long story short. He has a Hoffman Mystery bowl! It's alive. He said a lady got it at a garage sale for fifty cents! Then gave it to him for FREE! Jeff and I will try and interveiw Mr Hoffman as well.

Is the Hoffman mystery bowl the Mai Kai inspired KUs-with-straw-hole one, or one of the more Aztec looking bowls?

If you get Mr.Sapp on the phone one more time, I have a question I would like to have answered for my new book: Did Coburn Morgan conceive and design the Giant Moai fireplace?

T

Thats a good question Big Bro. I have wondered what came first the Kahiki fireplace or the Kon Tiki matchbook below? They are exactly the same image. Dose anyone know when the Kon Tiki in Shreveport started? The bowl Mr Hoffman has is the tiki footed Hoffman bowl. Not the Mai Kai knock off. I will see Mr Sapp to give him photos and will ask him then. Till that time keep those questions comming!

I believe the Kon Tiki chain of restaurants didn't start until the mid-sixties clearly leaving the Kahiki (1961) as the legitimate predecessor to that Moai fireplace image. Too bad Bill didn't know who the artist was for the Kahiki menus. Anyone else know?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I concur with Jeff on the Kahiki to Kon-Tiki succession of the fireplace graphic, though the first Steve Crane Kon Tiki was built in 1958 in Montreal. And I don't think the Shreveport one was part of that chain, but one of numerous individual Polynesian restaurants that also used that name.

I believe that matchbook is another example of how the imitators were imitated in Polynesian pop, or, to make it more positive sounding, how the creative inspiration demonstrated in one place inspired the creation of the next: Each successive place brought forth another, as we know--- Don inspired Vic and the Mai Kai, and the Mai Kai (see bowl and mystery girl ritual) and Vic inspired the Kahiki, and the Kahiki inspired many places in the area (and beyond), and so on.

I love unraveling the "Chain of Transmission" of Tiki temple art and concepts, and am thrilled that, after the chain had been broken by Tiki culture's devolution and falling into obscurity, the Book of Tiki has become the missing link between the past and the present, with its vintage imagery being used by today's nouveaux Tiki establishments.

T

I saw Mr Sapp today. And he said coburn Morgan was the one who came up with the fireplace idea. He said "Mr Morgan was brilliant He was just hard to get along with" And Big Bro the Book of Tiki is a great help when I see these guys. It was a long time ago and they forget alot. The pictures help greatly. Thank You. Mr Sapp said wow this is a great book it must have taken a long time to make. He flipped through it twice.

T

Jeff and I met Mr Hoffman today. I think this will be a great addition to the Bill Sapp interview. We got alot of new information. Did you know the feet of the Kahiki Hoffman pottery bowl were also made into salt and pepper shakers For the Kahiki? Have you ever seen those?

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-06-14 16:24 ]

WOW Skip!! Those pictures came out great! Thanks for inviting me.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

N

Definitely a lot of fantastic Kahiki history in this thread! Did the culmination of these interviews get published somewhere?

Tom...

T

Yes it was in Tiki Mag, forget what issue.
And there is way more here.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18136&forum=5&342

Pages: 1 41 replies