Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Creating tiki "theme of da month" june" SURF TIKI"

Pages: 1 36 replies

K
kirby posted on Wed, May 24, 2006 7:27 PM

The theme is "Surf TIKI"...media..carving/painting or any thing else you got so post pics and comments here.. there are no winners and no loosers ..just have fun and create...

KIRBY
Kirby's Island.com
The Tiki Adventure
Kirby's Gallery

[ Edited by: kirby 2006-05-29 00:31 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 24, 2006 8:15 PM

Im keen to stuff happen again. Surf tiki sounds tops!

K
kirby posted on Thu, May 25, 2006 5:27 PM

ok me and hewey will be the only ones having fun then...

I like summertime tiki or how about "swinging tiki" or "creepy tiki"? Hell, I don't know. Count me in though.

surf/summer time tiki sounds good to me.

H

How about midnight. Moon and stars.Sky is cloudless and stars are out????Along with some tikis there somewhere.Torch lights, zombies....

RD

Underwater tiki? Subterranean tiki? Tikiiis iiiin spaaaaaace!!?

I did a search and didn't see that these had been done.

I'm up for whatever. Would like to participate this time, as well.

-Joe

ST

Yea.. surf tiki!!!

K

ok i guees we will go head an go with surf tiki.. get to work..

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 29, 2006 3:06 AM

Good on ya Kirby for making it happen!

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-05-29 11:00 ]

R

Here is the first one i did, and since I hear its more fun to surf with a pal I will be starting another one. Hopefully it gets done before the end of june.

Raffled this one off at the Lake Shore Surf Club 40th Anniversary party last year... hoping to create another surf tiki this summer!

These are some older images but what the heck. Here ya go:

K

Obake Surfboard

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 8:02 PM

I'm gonna be a wetblanket here...

Originally the idea of a monthly creating theme was to create new items based on the chosen theme. As much as I like seeing all these cool surf tikis, Ive seen most of them before.

Yes, it is cool to see them again and revisit them.

But, I really got a kick out of seeing the new stuff people came up with when it was run before. I felt it gave both the people involved and people just observing a kick seeing all this new tiki art created arround a common theme.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

*Back to my cave... *

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 8:11 PM

I agree with hewey , BUT I say, still feel free post your pics of the stuff that you have already posted becouse 1. It may inspire others to create sumthing new and 2.There may be peolpe who havent seen them before.

On 2006-06-04 20:02, hewey wrote:
I'm gonna be a wetblanket here...

Originally the idea of a monthly creating theme was to create new items based on the chosen theme. As much as I like seeing all these cool surf tikis, Ive seen most of them before.

Yes, it is cool to see them again and revisit them.

But, I really got a kick out of seeing the new stuff people came up with when it was run before. I felt it gave both the people involved and people just observing a kick seeing all this new tiki art created arround a common theme.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

*Back to my cave... *

Sorry Hewey. I'm a newbie to this post and I was just getting my feet wet here. Sorry to offend any of you!!!!! Just joking!!!

The water is still a bit chilly in So. Cal. By the end of June, the water should be warmer. Will post new " Surf Tiki" soon.

Wusssup fo' next month?

" Tiki TNT!!??" ( 4th o July)

I know someone with a 50' blow torch!!!

Sorry. Off topic again. Damn!! Surf tiki Surf Tiki Surftiki!

M

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 11:53 PM

On 2006-06-04 20:11, kirby wrote:
I agree with hewey , BUT I say, still feel free post your pics of the stuff that you have already posted becouse 1. It may inspire others to create sumthing new and 2.There may be peolpe who havent seen them before.

Yeh, I agree with all of that :)

On 2006-06-04 21:08, RevBambooBen wrote:

Sorry Hewey. I'm a newbie to this post and I was just getting my feet wet here. Sorry to offend any of you!!!!!

As Kirby said, posting old stuff is cool. I just want to kick people up the proverbial to try and make new stuff too (including myself!) rather than just posting only old stuff.

ST

MM, That frame is killer and goes great with the Brophy!!!

A

That frame is insane. Great job.

Here's one I did today for the theme-of-the-month.
Just some colored pencils and an hour and a half to kill.

I like the idea but not how it translated into this image, yikes.
I'll try another tandem tiki surf thing tomorrow.

F
foamy posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 5:15 AM

This is the first tiki I ever did. "The Other Surfing"

K
kctiki posted on Fri, Jun 9, 2006 8:59 PM

A dartboard aspiring to be a surfboard - made with cork, felt & linoleum.

Quick sketch idea...
Rock surfboard...

Newer Surf Tiki

On 2006-06-09 20:59, kctiki wrote:

A dartboard aspiring to be a surfboard - made with cork, felt & linoleum.

I don't get it!?

The picture before was some bald dude dancing.

Never mind!!!

You had to see it!!!

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2006-06-15 22:42 ]

Hi gang!
Well I just created a post yesterday and joined the day before! Well, I posted this tiki surfboard while I was at work (shame on me-at worktime!)and when I get home from the studio I read this! Sorry I'm posting this picture again,but I thought it may stoke out some of you tiki surfers out there!

Monkeyman's frame for Brophy's board is the shizzle!
Ther is so much talent in this place! How inspiring!
Here's also a skimboard my friend gave me that I turned into a green tiki!
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-06-15 20:59 ]

H

Great design, artwork and technique. Very nice, welcome to TC.

V

I won this surfboard last year at the C st Long board competition in Ventura. It was shaped and created by Jeff of Parole Boards. My logo was designed and airbrushed on the board by Linda Cowell of Ventura.
Tiki shirt by Adrift.

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2006-06-15 23:31 ]

Wow VT,

I was getting ready to ask how you made the tight radius bends in the bamboo when you pointed out that that is a real surfboard. SICK!!! That will turn some heads at your local break. I really like the shape too, kind of a mini-malibu.

K

Re: the pic I posted of my dartboard/surfboard,

On 2006-06-15 09:04, RevBambooBen wrote:

I don't get it!?

The picture before was some bald dude dancing.

Never mind!!!

You had to see it!!!

Some bald dude dancing? How freaky! Shortly after I ordered 3 years worth of family photos from Shutterfly, my account has been acting real squirrelly. I don't have any pics of bald guys dancing.

Sorry for the strange interlude folks...back to art now.

[ Edited by: kctiki 2006-06-16 19:37 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 6:47 AM

I missed the bald dancing guy... :)

Heres my newest piece, fresh out of the oven (literally!)

Did you muss up the paper first?It looks so old and vintagey-almost like pen and ink on barkcloth-the stippling in there is intense!Go lightly as you don't want carpal tunnel in later years! Great work-captures the mood to a tee!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 8:35 PM

On 2006-07-03 09:40, little lost tiki wrote:
Did you muss up the paper first?It looks so old and vintagey-almost like pen and ink on barkcloth-the stippling in there is intense!Go lightly as you don't want carpal tunnel in later years! Great work-captures the mood to a tee!

Sketched it in pencil, did the linework in ink. Coloured it in pencil, tore the edges, baked in oven. Be careful of getting oils from your hands on the paper - it browns at a quicker rate and results in fingerprints... Big problem for me cause I sweat a lot.

Hewey!
so it was the baking part that got that background texture!Would have never thought of that!I usually just stain the paper with available coffee or ink while wet!Thanks for sharing,man!Gonna have to try this soon!Thanks Hewey!

Pages: 1 36 replies