Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

LowKat's stump conversion(s) #16 on page 3

Pages: 1 32 replies

L

I'm new to tiki carving but have worked with many types of wood in the construction trade.

OK, I had a 40 yr old Douglas Fir tree in front of the greenhouse in my back yard. Two winters ago we had a bad ice storm and little "ice bombs" fell from the tree and ruined the greenhouse roof. You can see the holes.

I called some local loggers and had it cut down along with another bigger diseased tree that was threatening my garage.

Had had the loggers leave me an 8 foot stump.

Yesterday I got creative and made a FrEakY tIKi.

Took a 14 hr day to carve him and another 1/2 day cleaning up the rough edges and staining it. It's the first time I've tried carving so I was extremely surprised with the results.

I have propane heat in the greenhouse and could tap into the pipe 6 feet away.... Thinking flames out the top of his head........

[ Edited by: LowKat 2012-11-26 22:35 ]

K

welcome to the group

KIRBY
Kirby's Island.com
The Tiki Adventure
Kirby's Gallery

[ Edited by: kirby 2006-05-29 00:20 ]

[ Edited by: kirby 2006-05-29 10:22 ]

K

by the way it looks awsome for your first attemped .. very impressive...your a natural for sure

Wow... great job!

B

Welcome to TC LowKat. That's an Excellent first tiki, Very Well Done. You made Excellent use of the stump, No stump could be more proud.
If it were my stump, I would cut it down and treat it and seal it and stand it somewhere on a cement pad. Left in the ground, it will rot away much quicker, but not for a few years.
Still, WELL Done!

cool tiki...I bet that was really tough working on the log in the upright position....
I am constantly twisting and turning on saw horses...I can't even imagine doing all of that
without moving the log. Really cool.

8T

On 2006-05-29 00:07, LowKat wrote:
Had the loggers leave me an 8 foot stump.

I always perk up when I see someone has done an 8 foot carving!!!!! Very nicely done and I admire your determination to make the loss of a great tree into something that will "live on" after it is cut. Thanks for sharing your creation and good luck with the flames!

L

Thanks for the kind words you TikiHeads!

Wish I'd saved the bigger portions of those fallen trees instead of cutting them up into 6 cords of firewood.........

Could've had 6 cords of Tikis instead.
Can't wait to start another one.

THIS STUFF IS ADDICTIVE!!

I'm sure the other big fir trees on my property are afraid of thier future and shaking in thier roots.

Lucky for them, I already have my order in to my arborist friend for some nice lengths of Cedar.

Sure wish I'd gotten into carving when living near Palm Springs, could've gotton all the Palm wood needed for free.

If anybody has any ideas about making flames from the top of his head using propane, I'd love to hear about them.

L

Benzart:
I might cut him down someday but my 'wahine' loves it where it is, gives her a little bit of "sunshine" on those many gray days we have here in the NW. I'll give him a few coats of oil this summer for some protection.

congatiki:
I liked having him upright while carving. Besides being rock solid, it was easy to see what he looked like without standing him up. I used a 5' ladder and just leaned against him to do the upper portion. Did have to move around a lot while roughing him in with the chainsaw to feel cormfortable enough for sawing.

kirby:
Thanks for pointing me in the right directions to get my photos to load.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 29, 2006 2:17 PM

That's the finest stump I've seen all week! A man's just gotta be proud of a stump like that! Nice job! What a great piece for a first tiki.

-Gman

J

Welcome aboard! Great first tiki. So what are you going to do next?

L

Well, as luck has it my across the street neighbor is having a large Cottonwood tree cut down as I type this. I went over earlier today and asked the arborist if I could have a 6 foot chunk about 18" in diameter.

He told me "no problem, bring your truck over and we'll lower it right into the back".

I know Cottonwood isn't the best carving medium but I'm addicted and need to carve something else baaaaad. Should make a good practice log.

Here's another photo back when the above Tiki was a still a stump and I'd just penciled in his features. You can see it just to the left of the backhoe bucket.

[ Edited by: LowKat 2012-11-26 22:37 ]

Nobody will ever threaten your garage again. Now he'll protect you. Great work.

LowKat, that is a really superb first tiki. Welcome to the board.

A-A

B

LowKat, very nice first piece. Chainsaw action from a ladder...your an animal. Oregon will never be the same!

I can relate to the addiction...gotta go finish my war canoe relief!

Beachnik

L
LowKat posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 5:52 PM

On 2006-05-30 21:41, Beachnik wrote:
Chainsaw action from a ladder...

Chainsaws are a way of life in Oregon....

Actually with the ladder leaning against the tree, it's very stable, especially if it's not a rikity ol' wood one.

L

Tiki #2

OK, now I have the carving bug bad. Couldn't wait for the arborist to get some wood, so went to my backyard and retrieved a piece of Doug Fir about 16" tall X 12" across to get busy. This was a firewood 'round' that had been sitting for a couple years.

Got started carving but when I got to the opposite side of his face it was totally worm infested and rotten.

Ruined his upper lip and one side of his nose by the time I dug out the rotten parts. Had too much time in him to quit so did finish it. Kinda looks like a cross between Jimmy Durante and Stacy Keach. Didn't bother sanding/finishing but painted his teeth, gave him a coat of oil and stuck him out in the yard.

Since I'm a beginner, I'm going to do the same thing as Bay Park Buzzy and post the lessons I learned. Maybe it will help other beginners.

#1 After debarking, LOOK FOR WORM HOLES.
#2 Bigger pieces are easier to carve because they hold still better.

[ Edited by: LowKat 2012-11-26 22:43 ]

L

TIKI #3

Scored 3 pieces of Cottonwood that are all about 18-20" in diameter and nearly knot free. One is 2' tall and the others are 3' and 5'

Got #3 tiki drawn out on the 3 footer. Started carving but realized it was looking a lot like Bart Simpson. Changed the eye shape in mid-carve to get rid of "Bart" This stuff carves like butter and is nearly white when raw. Didn't hardly need sanding. Used a 1-1/4" flat chisel and shaved almost the entire piece.

Got him done but haven't applied a finish yet. Probably going to use Linseed oil but no stain.

WHAT I LEARNED.

#1 A 5 foot chunk of fresh cut wood weighs in at about 500-600 lbs
#2 If sitting on your work while carving, USE A BUTT PAD.
#3 Carve the deepest parts first, saves recarving it several times.
#4 Start early in the day because it's hard to stop.
#5 Hide carving area, every Tom, Dick, Harry stops, then slow to leave.
#6 Need to get some scoop chisels.
#7 Modifying the original drawing during mid-carve can be done.

[ Edited by: LowKat 2012-11-26 22:49 ]

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 12:25 PM

Lookin real nice LowKat. You got the bug bad i see. The one thing you pointed out is when carving it always changes from your drawings. Thats kind of the beauty of it. Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming.

I see you have one hell of a sign collection too. I collect Gulf petroleum stuff myself.

L

Yea Loki, I'm a convicted collectaholic.

My collections include Hawaiiana, especially ukes and nodders, pre '82 Hard Rock Cafe pins and drink menus, coin operated machines, porcelain or neon signs, 33-1/3 vinyl records, fat tire bikes and older Coke stuff.

Also collect petrolania but I'm a Mobil man mainly because I remember the neon Pegasus signs from my childhood and liked them so much. My first 'gas' purchase was the pump on the right. It had original red paint so I figured might as well go Mobil.

I live in a cluttered world but it's fun for viewing.

[ Edited by: LowKat 2012-11-26 22:53 ]

good work the big tiki is owesome

L

Tiki #4

Started this one 3 days ago. It's a "full body" that's 62" tall and about 21" in diameter.

One of my wife's clients had seen what I've been doing and ordered one for her husband's 60th birthday in August. By the way, how much would you charge for something similar?

As you can see, I did my layout up the front on a vertical line then used a band of sheet metal to transfer the lines all the way around.

Did the major cuts with a chainsaw. Next thing you know, it's tiki #4

Drilled some 1/2" holes in his hands so some short removable wooden dowels fit in, then the tiki torches slip over them.

Still need to upload the photos with stain and oil.

A friend turned me on to some logs at his construction company storage yard. There's quite a few species and all are seasoned.

Amongst them is 6 pieces of Doug Fir about 12 feet long and 6 feet in diameter!! He told me "sorry, I'm gonna mill that stuff but you can have as much of anything else you want"

... TIKI HEAVEN ...

WHAT I LEARNED.

#1 I'm addicted to carving.
#2 Ask everybody if they need a Tiki..
#3 A Dremel tool is da' kine for cleaning up the little stuff.
#4 Get a big fan for blowing away the dust from the disc sander.
#5 Making a totally symmetrical piece is difficult. Move back and forth from left to right often. If you move before too much is completed, it helps keep the symmetry. It's much easier to copy a few strokes of the chisel than making a complete identical matching arm, foot, eyeball or whatever.

[ Edited by: LowKat 2006-07-02 23:57 ]

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 7:04 AM

LowKat,
Lookin' great! I cant believe that is number 4? Wow. Keep it up, you got a great carving future ahead.

You are so right about Lesson #5. I still have to remind myself to work on both sides all the time.

H

WOW Lowkat! #4 looks GREAT! The others aren't bad but I can really see progress in your technique and skill on #4. keep on hackin'-love your style.

B

Pretty darned Excellent for a "beginner". You have some interesting techniques there for line drawing and transferring. Good thinking there. Nie carvings too. Welcome to TC!

On 2006-05-29 00:07, LowKat wrote:

I have propane heat in the greenhouse and could hook into the pipe that's about 6 feet away....

Thinking flames out the top of his head........

[ Edited by: LowKat 2006-05-29 00:53 ]

Hi Lowkat, your stuff is very cool, I have a picture of 2 tiki's at night with flames coming out of their heads, they are made of metal, it's a little hard to see, but you get the idea.

Amy

L
LowKat posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 2:08 AM

Picked up several pieces of various lengths and species of wood from my friends construction yard that were already cut. Just had to load them in my trailer. Free is a very good price!

Made a few more carvings. They are in the order I carved them from your left to right. #'s 5,6,7,8,9,10,11.

#5 The "Disney" looking character is a 25" X 10" Grand Fir. Had a piece of a branch that worked into a great nose. Finished with 2 coats of oil base "Early American" stain and a coat of poly. The teeth had a coat of transparent white oil stain before applying rest of finish. My wife calls him "Lumure" or something similar.

#6 "Flamehead" is a 27" X 9" piece of Cherry. (This sh!t is hard!) but is a beautiful hunk of wood. Finished with red enamel for the flames and white enamel on the teeth with flat black between them and in the mouth. Two coats of MinWax "Pecan" poly over everything.

#7 Is an Easter Island style in Oak (This sh!t is harder!) Measures 26" X 9". Finished with 2 coats of oil base stain that was thinned 50%. Then lightly sanded just to "break" the finish then 2 coats of Linseed oil.

#8 "The Stoned Ranger" is also Oak. It's 34" X 7". Also used white stain on teeth and flat black on the recesses prior to applying 2 coats of "DuckBack" wood preservative.

#9 Tiki surfboard is the back slab I cut off of Tiki #4 and is Cottonwood. 44" tall and about 10" wide and 2" thick in the center. After cutting the design with a box cutter knife I used a couple different pencils to color in the carving. Painted Mahogany "stringer" down the center then two coats of poly. If my lettering had better spacing I'd been happier. Looked fine during the Mai Tai buzz. Should've known better than mix alcohol and sharp implements of destruction.

#10 "Kewl Daddy" (in front of the tikiboard) Is Cedar. 24" X 6" This stuff is easy carving. He has two coats of white (and gold) gloss enamel on his teeth and flat black between. Two heavy coats of Pecan Minwax poly. (sucked it up like a sponge) Has glass "blobs" for eyes. You see these "blobs" sometimes used for decoration around houseplants or also used in stained glass and crafts.

#11 Full body tiki is 34" tall and 10" across. Doug Fir. This was a twisted piece of wood so the tiki's head is turned a little. 4 colors of stain with a couple coats of poly.

Here's my entire lineup minus #1 and #2. (#1 is attached to the earth) and #2 will never be seen again except at the start of this thread. I got #3 oiled with 2 coats of Linseed oil. #4 got a coat of Mahogany stain and 2 coats of Linseed thinned 30-40%.

Here's my next victims. When these run out, I'm going down to the "yard" and get some bigger stuff.

WHAT I LEARNED.

#1 I don't like bark removal.
#2 Hardwoods create more work but make nice "crisp" cuts.
#3 I need more tools!!!.
#4 One slip of the chisel can lead to a major modification.
#5 I'm definitly addicted to carving. I have stuff ready to carve and am worrying about what to get next.

Yes!!!!!I'll have to say you're off to a great start. If you were closer right now, I'd give you a high five. Based upon your progress and attitude in your What I learned reflections, I'd say you have only about another three weeks or so of sleep filled nights left. Then the compulsive carving turns into constant carving. My advice: Ride it out man...Cannot wait for your first "I couldn't sleep last night, so I made this piece..." Take care,
Buzzy

B

LowKAt, keep upi the good work, you are Definitely making GREAT Progress. Excellent looking tikis!

L
LowKat posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 1:36 AM

#'s 12, 13, 14 and 15

12, 13, 14. The "Three Amigos" are a 30" X 8" pieces of Cherry. Finished with 4 colors of flat acrylic enamel before applying Mahogany stain then 2 coats of poly over everything. I made these to include my wife in my tikimania. She loves to paint and did a great job. These were inspired by some "folk art" tikis another member posted here on TC.

#15 "TattDude" is Western Red Cedar, measuring 24" X 8". white semi transparent stain and black paint on the eyeballs before the application of some "Golden Maple" oil base stain and a poly finish. Finished this one today.

WHAT I LEARNED:
#1 Some small flaws will cover with stain/finish.
#2 You can work on details forever unless you just call it done.
#3 I need a 2nd "yard debris" recycle can for bark and wood chips.
#4 I need a draw knife.
#5 I need to find an outlet for some of these so I can make more.

Buzzy:
I was at the compulsive carving stage a couple weeks ago and nearly constant now but "life" keeps getting in the way. I've been carving until 2am on a few occasions. Lucky for my neighbors I have a rubber mallet for night carving. I don't have insomnia but do dream about my next projects.

Benzart:
Thanks for the good words but don't hesitate to criticize or give pointers. I like learning the easy way and have thick skin.

Starting #16 tomorrow... or at least get it sketched out... Lawn needs mowed, garden needs weeded, Raspberrys need picked and my mud bog project truck needs some more work before fall.

Oh yea, picked up 6 more logs yesterday and debarked them today. 1 is Birch, 4 are Cherry and 3 feet long, the other one is 4ft Cedar and roughly 14" diameter. Looks like it wants to be a full body tiki.

My son was hinting the other day that his birthday is soon and he doesn't have a tiki. The 4ft Cedar one will probably be it unless I pick up a better log. Now I need to dream up a good way to personalize it for him. Not with his name but I'm open for any ideas.

Great job! I really like the Tattdude!!!!!

TD

ive got to say it.....wow! that looks amazing for a first. to tell you the truth i am actually a little jealous. good job and keep em comming

L

Had to leave town for a week so haven't done much carving.

#16 "OldButNew" is a 28" X 8" piece of Cherry. Finished with white enamel on the lighter portions, then 2 coats of MinWax "Ebony" poly over everything. I rubbed some of the finish off because I wanted this one to look kinda old like something that would be found in Disney's Adventureland.

Pages: 1 32 replies