Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Caliente Tropics Luau weekend July 14th-16th !

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

Just a head's up, This event is being coordinated through Soccertiki and WoohooWahine.
Tropics!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2006-06-10 13:14 ]

H

Sounds great lets...Unga you didn't forget me already did you?????:) :drink:

welcomed back how?

Oasis for 2007 ? Spill the beans Unga.

What does "welcomed back" mean?

On 2006-05-29 06:34, hiltiki wrote:
Sounds great lets...Unga you didn't forget me already did you?????:) :drink:

Hiltiki who? :) It was great having a drink with you again Hil.

On 2006-05-29 08:43, Monkeyman wrote:
welcomed back how?
Oasis for 2007 ? Spill the beans Unga.

No Oasis, just another Tiki type of get together.
No beans to spill here. Just good news.

A

Let's go,
I'm in
When?????
Al

Us too!!! When??

Will they let us have room parties, and stay in the pool all night?

palm springs is the fave spot to visit for the martini kings!
lets have a drink or 2!
tony

WoooHooo! A TC Caliente Tropics Takeover!! Rates during the Summer Time are always much lower in Palm Springs :)

Lets do it in August!!!

Okay... this is all sounding good and the train is already rolling it seems... BUT: What's the good news? I'm all for heading back to the Tropics, but I'd really like to know what's going on. Please fill us in.

-Weird Unc

On 2006-05-29 12:17, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Lets do it in August!!!

Don't forget: The Scottsdale Trader Vic's Weekend is August 5th and The Catalina Tiki Fest is August 18.

OK how about August 12th & 13th?? Thats prolly the only time Laura will be able to go because of Medical School. I don't think it needs to be a big deal or anything cause I just want to drink, hang out at the pool, and be with good friends (at the Caliente of course)!!! What do you think Unga Bunga??

On 2006-05-29 13:09, The Sperm Whale wrote:
OK how about August 12th??

That's International Tiki Day. There may be an event planned for that day, although the person hasn't made an official announcement yet.

Maybe we should aim for September.

D

Why not in the next couple of weeks? Why does it have to be so darn far away? I want to do it NOW!!! (said in my whiniest Veruca Salt voice...)

T

Sounds great to me.... However, we will need plenty of notice so we can get off work during the weekday and weekend.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

OK how about August 12th & 13th?? Thats drolly the only time Laura will be able to go because of Medical School. I don't think it needs to be a big deal or anything cause I just want to drink, hang out at the pool, and be with good friends (at the Caliente of course)!!! What do you think Unga Bunga??

Spermy-

Sounds good to us!

( that is if I'm in town and not out building a new tiki bar somewhere)

Crazy Al and I have always wanted to go and hang out in the heat!!! What a cool way to hang for ITD! We'll totally have the place to ourselves!

You could name it,

Survival of the Tiki Fit-test's!!!

75% in.

H

Rates are always the cheapest in August in Palm Springs. I think August is the best time. Since there are not many tourists around Caliente Tropics would be happy to accommodate us. I usually end up going there in August and it is great. It is really hot, 100-110 degrees or more but it the hot dry desert and it is nice. I will go if you guys go! :)

I think we need to figure out another date besides August 12th because I want to do ITD at Bongofury's. Sorry bout that!! I think summer is pretty much too busy!!! What do you guys think??

On 2006-05-29 14:44, ookoo lady wrote:

That's International Tiki Day. There may be an event planned for that day, although the person hasn't made an official announcement yet.

Looks like Bongofury has secured ITD for the Rincon Room.
Spermy, any other possible dates?
We have to do another New Years Eve party (which was a blast!) as well.

On 2006-05-30 09:57, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2006-05-29 14:44, ookoo lady wrote:

Looks like Bongofury has secured ITD for the Rincon Room.
Spermy, any other possible dates?
We have to do another New Years Eve party (which was a blast!) as well.

I think your right Unga!!!

I'll go at the drop of a sombrero...considering my family (who usually makes me vacation with them EVERY weekend-all year long!) has pretty muched bailed on us for every vacation idea we've tried to set up this year!
I've never been, so I'm lookin forward to it!
Name a weekend (or 2 or 6!) and I'll be there.
(See my signature if you need further explanation on my life view!)

PS to TikiTatt: Don't plan on any paintings of any large turds this Summer...!

Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation?- Jane Austen

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2006-05-30 12:50 ]

P

i'm thinking of just going for the 4th of july. i have a 4 day paid weekend and don't have to use my vacation days. if anyone is interested in that, let me know. i'll hang out by the pool by myself, but i need someone to buy mai tais for.

WoooHoooo! Keep your eyes open for more details of The TC Caliente Tropics Takeover... :)

MG

WOOOHOOO!

I'm still lost on the "we are welcomed back" statement.
No offense of course, it just seems that some people are wanting a bit more info than ,hey ho, lets go.
The Management was very rude, disrespectful, shall I say assholes
before. I for one would like a public appology by them before I ever stepped foot on that property.
I know I'm kinda a newbie. But from what I heard about how they treaterd the old manager, and then acted towards Otto when trying to plan this years event.
I think everybody is to qucik to jump on the party bandwagon, and forget what happened before.
If they are all cool about it, and appologize,then that's one thing.
But to just say oh well and go back is kinda hypocritical in my book.

My 2 cents( which wont buy much)
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thats what several of us have been asking. Whats changed and how is it that we are "welcomed" back?

New info, new management, a phone discussion with the staff?

What is this key info that makes it all good?

On 2006-05-30 19:55, bigtikidude wrote:
No offense of course, it just seems that some people are wanting a bit more info than ,hey ho, lets go.
before. I for one would like a public appology by them before I ever stepped foot on that property.
I know I'm kinda a newbie. But from what I heard about how they treaterd the old manager, and then acted towards Otto when trying to plan this years event.
I think everybody is to qucik to jump on the party bandwagon, and forget what happened before.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Biz is biz.

I'll say that we stayed there recently and it was
All Good!!!

We'll be there if I'm not out on an install.

If we're alone....no worries!!!

Caliente Tropics is a gem!!!

No matter who is in-charge.

Biz is biz.

I agree with Bamboo Ben!!! "Biz is Biz" It's not my problem!!! I still like the Tropics!!!

On 2006-05-30 19:55, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Unga = A complete idiot to think Otto wouldn't come into play with this thread.
I hope to think that I have the utmost respect towards Otto more than a lot of other fellow TCers might have, and I do.
But hey, it's a free country, and I'll stay where I wanna stay.
Sorry if it pisses anyone off.

K

The Management at the Tropics were never rude or disrespectful to me. When they took my money they said thank you. When I was hungry, they did not refuse to serve me at their restraunt. The bar served me drinks, the rooms were cleaned in a timely manner. I do remember breaking many posted rules. Room Parties to all hours, the pool was open much later than posted. I am sure we all could make a list of all the rules that we did agree to follow in the room agreements, and then proceed to violate.

On the other hand I do remember management shutting down numerous room parties at a more recent event.
Biz is Biz. I am sorry for any ones business loses or hurt feelings, but that one is for LawyersCentral.

H

Well all said and done let's plan a date already!!!

Over the years, buildings get sold. Management teams are replaced. If we return to the Caliente Tropics, it's not because we approve of the current management, but because we want to help support and preserve one of the few remaining Tiki hotels.

If everyone in the Tiki community boycotts the Caliente Tropics, we will hasten the day that the bulldozers destroy it, or it is "remodeled" into something else.

LET'S DO IT!!! I'm in the desert today....I may swing by and talk to someone. If I do I'll post it later.....

By the way, its already 88 degrees and it's only 9:20am!!!! Nice!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to thawing out soon!!!!

WoooooooHoooooooooOOOOOOO!!!!!

WOOOHOOO! I just got off the phone with Soccer Tiki and it's 97'. Viva Palm Springs!!!

The Caliente Tropics (still)has tiki!!!!

Aloha Bill says our luau will be great!!!

Remember this?

The Reef Bar now Aloha Bill's (same great Bamboo Ben decor!)

Stay tuned for details and dates!!!!!! Something fun, affordable and SOON!!!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-31 22:02 ]

WooHooo! My bags are packed and ready to go. Don't forget your sunscreen :)

H

I don't remember ever hearing from the Caliente Tropics that we weren't wanted or welcome, I only remember that they turned down a request for NYE room discounts, that they weren't on the ball with Oasis, so Otto opted to go elsewhere, and that sadly they were very doinky to a good friend of ours, Casey Jones (but that resulted more in a general sour public taste towards the Caliente Tropics, it wasn't at all a case of the Caliente turning the public away). But I don't remember anyone getting the message from the Caliente Tropics that we weren't welcome there, so I'm with the head-scratchers... what's different about this week than what we knew last week, or last month, or last year? What inspired this thread?

That said, it's a cool, old-school tiki place, and Casey & others worked hard to save it from losing its character. It'd be a shame if all of their hard work went down the drain, just because they're no longer involved, and Casey himself has asked people to continue patronizing the Caliente Tropics for that reason.

So... get a room, already!

On 2006-05-31 15:35, Humuhumu wrote:
What inspired this thread?

Rum

So... get a room, already! Humuhumu wrote

Before you get a room, wait to see what Soccer Tiki has to post :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-31 18:10 ]

P

well, no matter what, i'm going the weekend before the fourth of july.

squeal!! Where's my special Ice Chest, Woo Hoo?!!

On 2006-05-31 21:48, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19256&forum=2&2

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a special rate for a "Luau Weekend" in July... The manager told me that they have replaced all the bedding (mattresses, pillows, etc.) and kept the tropical decor in the rooms...There are 9 (or 15-I can't remember right now) rooms that are pet-friendly.

More to come.....

Not anytime 'tween July 16th to 23rd...right? Cuz we'll be sippin homemade Lapus on the sunny shores of Bass Lake and tearin' up the place on our stinkin, motorized, smog belchin, 2 stroke lake skis. Remember? Crap. I'm "PREPARING"!

Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation?- Jane Austen

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2006-06-01 07:38 ]

On 2006-05-29 00:35, Unga Bunga wrote:
Apparently we're welcomed back.
Let's plan an event!

Unga, please explain how are we welcome back? What inspired you to post this? Did you or someone you know stay at the tropics recently and have a pleasant experience? A number of TCer's have asked and the question has been skirted. If it's that you just want to go there and party? That's fine-I like the tropics too. However, the current Management was rather nasty to us at the last Oasis while checking in. We stayed at the Tropics soon after Oasis to attend a friends wedding. the same attitude from the management prevailed. They gave our friends a whole load of grief at the last minute over details of their wedding that had been settled by the previous management. I don't need (or even want) to have my ass kissed by a business but would at least like a little politeness. I don't even want or expect an apology. But, are not hotels supposed to be in the hospitality business? They were not very hospitable.

So did this change? Were they overly nice. Did they say, "Tiki Central members come and stay at the Tropics"?

So I will make the question clear (and please try to be specific):

HOW ARE WE WELCOMED BACK?

On 2006-06-01 09:24, Atomic Cocktail wrote:

On 2006-05-29 00:35, Unga Bunga wrote:
Apparently we're welcomed back.
Let's plan an event!

Unga, please explain how are we welcome back? What inspired you to post this? Did you or someone you know stay at the tropics recently and have a pleasant experience? A number of TCer's have asked and the question has been skirted. If it's that you just want to go there and party? That's fine-I like the tropics too. However, the current Management was rather nasty to us at the last Oasis while checking in. We stayed at the Tropics soon after Oasis to attend a friends wedding. the same attitude from the management prevailed. They gave our friends a whole load of grief at the last minute over details of their wedding that had been settled by the previous management. I don't need (or even want) to have my ass kissed by a business but would at least like a little politeness. I don't even want or expect an apology. But, are not hotels supposed to be in the hospitality business? They were not very hospitable.

So did this change? Were they overly nice. Did they say, "Tiki Central members come and stay at the Tropics"?

So I will make the question clear (and please try to be specific):

HOW ARE WE WELCOMED BACK?

Blah! Blah! Blah!

( go back to your sewing machine!!)

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies