Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Coon-Tiki Project Redux: O.K., NOW I'm Finally Finished!! pg.2

Pages: 1 43 replies

Aloha, or should I say "Howdy, Y'all Coon-Tiki Folks!"

This past Saturday, I FINALLY got the chance to put my Coon-Tiki lessons to the test, and started a carving. I thought that since my last attempt at carving Danny's project was doomed from the start (my chisels didn't arrive in time and I had to use fat, clunky Lowe's chisels on my log that was quite soft and rotten), and that the poor hideous creature ended up being cremated by its maker....

...that I decided to try that one again. So off to a fellow novice carver's house (who just so happens to have 6 palm logs just waitin' to be dug into) I went to share my new-found knowledge and carve up a few projects. Little did we know that a dreadful kink in our plans was about to arise: the de-barking of the Palm!!!!! It took For-Fricken-EVER to get that log shaved! We were using our chainsaws to take off layer after endless layer of fronds and bark. I finally stopped "floating" the chainsaw over the surface, since the fibers were clinging on harder than passengers on the Titanic's aft section, and started making cuts from the top to the bottom, slicing off the final outside layer and getting to the moist "white meat". I then smoothed out most of the un-even-ness by floating that ol' chainsaw once again over it.

Well, to make a long story longer, we finally got down to carving, and I have to tell ya, having the right chisels make a whole heap o' difference! Everything carved easy, and although I made a few mistakes, I felt that I was actually doing o.k. for a "second first time attempt". I sliced right thru that juicy, wet palm like it was "buttah". After about an hour or so, I had almost finshed the main part of the carving and the light was fading fast. So my friend and I called it a day - & a good one at that.

After I got home, I put the mask in the garage and told myself I'd take a picture of it the next day before finishing it off. Well, the next day came and out I went to take a picture or two. However, I noticed something wierd: the whole face was not only cracking as it dried, but it was flaking off chunks, and some chunks were even Curling up! I got so in "repair mode" that I forgot to take a picture of it until me and my trusty bottle of Zap-A-Gap were done regluing all the many many fragments that were just barely sitting in place. I had to glue just about all of the mouth ridges, and most of the eye ridges. It looks oddly aged now, but not too bad I guess...

So, I guess my next step is after I finish the other eyebrow and carve all of the native decorative details into it, is to actually BAKE it in the oven to get it as dry, cracked and split as possible, then age it with stain and paint like we used to do at Imagineering. Hopefully, it'll end up looking like a cool old weather-beaten tiki mask done years ago by some simple native of the Cook Islands that got marooned on a deserted island and had to make a friend to talk to, since there were no soccer balls around then.

I'll post the next steps as soon as I get 'em done.

Aloha Y'all!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-06-04 22:40 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-06-09 19:06 ]

B

Good job TikiLee's, and Wow, what a strange experience. You Must Always remember that when opening up a log in the Vegas Desert, whatever moisture that is in it will be sucked out overnight. Some kinds of wood don't fare well with that and evidently, your log is one of those. Looks like you have it under control though.

P

hey, lee, is that a log from that pile on st. louis? i'm having cracking issues with one as well. they were kind of wet and it's been pretty dry here, so it's inevitable.

good job so far. you'll have to introduce me to your friend so we can all get together and carve.

Benz: Yeah, I had a feeling that the Desert drying issue would be a major factor, which is why I didn't put too much effort into this first project. The log was cut down about 3-4 months ago, and was only dyed out at the ends. The body of it was really wet and I knew that things were gonna happen as it dryed, but I didn't know exactly what. I left the other part of the log split down the middle outside to dry so that the next time we get together, I'll have a different, dryer experience to learn from.

Pdrake: These logs actually came from my friend's backyard. It's a telephone line intruder victem that got cut down by the power company. They're a few months older than the St. Louis trunks, but I'm sure they are just as moist. And I'll definately keep ya posted as to the next time we get together. We were both leaning towards just having a day that we do nothing but de-bark the logs so we can get that long, painful step out of the way. Sure could use ya on that day! :)

'loha!

8T

Lee, glad to see that you are back at it again. Don't get too worked up about the cracks and fast drying damage. You are learning something every time you try a new project or a different type of wood. That is valuable stuff. Carving is so enjoyable that we tend to find a way to live with the unexpected things that come along with it. I mean, various threads mention moldy logs, splintering, bugs and don't forget the bloodshed when a tool goes astray! Just be sure you still have fun and DO NOT put any more carvings into a fire....just the wood chips! Keep at it and be sure to share more photos so we can see how you are progressing! 8FT

T

Hey TikiLee!

I like the effect the dryness and cracking has had on the tang... not bad at all! It does look like a lot of work to save it though. I hope we'll get to see him totally finished?

S

I need to do this too, but for now I actually started sanding and cleaning up the group project this weekend a bit. I also plan to hollow out the back of the mask Ben started so it will dry without cracking hopefully.

That group project was awesome! I learned alot from that one; what chisles do what kind of cuts, surface prep techniques, how to carve a penis, and the list just goes on and on!

Anyway, I finished carving my mask this week. The details are pretty hard to see, but they are there if you look. They'll show up better once I get the stain & aging on it.

By the way, the "toasted" ridges happened when I baked the mask in the oven to dry it out more. I got some nice splits like I expected, but the toasty edges were a suprise. They look kinda neat-o now, but I'm sure they'll dissappear when the stains go on.

See ya next week!

Hey Lee, NICE work! I think you've stumbled on to something there. The toasting add a little color to just the sharp edges and helps define them, and is easier to control than a torch. Hmmm . . Tiki Lee's Toasted Tikis!

Hey, I got some extra time today, so I broke out the stains and went to work!

Here's my Coon Tiki - Tiki Diablo project FINALLY finished:

I worked some moss green stain into the mask to give it an old, lost-in-the-jungle-for-years look, but the colors didn't come out too well in the photos. The lamp washed 'em out. If you look at the darker spots, you might see a bit of the coloring.

Here's a close-up of the eye that popped & sank-in. It actually has a good deal of green in it, although it doesn't show up much:

So now that I've finally gotten my project done, I can finally move on to new lessons. I think I'm going to try and do a full-figure Marq like the group project we all did. I'll be letting the palm dry out first this time!

P.S.: Spooky Nighttime Lighting!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2006-06-05 01:49 ]

T

Hey TLee! That looks great! I wish mine came out 1/2 as nice! Your choice of stains really make the difference.

B

TLee, you get an A+ for the day and go to the head of the class.
Very well done, the coloring effects really helped make this guy.
Excellent!!

On 2006-05-29 02:39, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Little did we know that a dreadful kink in our plans was about to arise: the de-barking of the Palm!!!!! It took For-Fricken-EVER to get that log shaved! We were using our chainsaws to take off layer after endless layer of fronds and bark. I finally stopped "floating" the chainsaw over the surface, since the fibers were clinging on harder than passengers on the Titanic's aft section, and started making cuts from the top to the bottom, slicing off the final outside layer and getting to the moist "white meat". I then smoothed out most of the un-even-ness by floating that ol' chainsaw once again over it.

That sounds like it was a Fan Palm?

8T

Lee, Great results! Persistence paid off big for you on that piece. Now everyone can see what a weekend with the Coontiki teachers can do for a new carver!

T

Great work Lee!

TL

Hey, I just realised that I forgot the dots!!!!

How on EARTH could I have forgot the dots?!?!?!

O.K., I just got done adding them, so now I REALLY AM finally finsihed!

"What a diff'rence... a 'dot' makes....."

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments you guys, and yeah Freddie, it was Mexican Fan Palm. It's everywhere here!

On to the next project!!!!! :)

T

Very nice Lee! I'm going to get mine down and touch it up a bit... it's pretty lame!

Nice piece! Looks vintage! Keep up the great work!

Well done!

K

looks really good Tiki Lee like Lake said it has that vintage look

M

Okay, no offense to anyone... Every time I see this design I am reminded of this:

Louis Gossett, Jr. in "Enemy Mine"
Anyone else see a resemblance?

[ Edited by: MsSwanky 2006-06-10 21:00 ]

[ Edited by: MsSwanky 2006-06-10 21:14 ]

L
Loki posted on Sun, Jun 11, 2006 4:52 AM

^^^LOL

now you're cooking Tiki Lee's....it is a good thing you tossed your original in the fire
and got a fresh start....I was telling you all along it was "just the wood." Great effort.

Hey, Thanks you guys!
It means alot to me to know that there are nice folks out there with nice things to say to a first-timer!
Thanks Again!

M

It really looks awesome and it deosn't look like first timer art for me. Good job!

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jun 14, 2006 5:57 AM

It looks nice and aged like its a hundred years old. Nice job. All the sweat shows in the great detail you put into it.

perfect. looks like the genuine article.

V

Nice work, Dude!!!

Thanks Again.... Ya'll!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 3:41 AM

Hard to believe it's your first finished piece - not only is the detail great, but it's got a really ancient look.

CA

this thing rocks!!! great lesson here... nice

On 2006-06-27 01:36, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Thanks Again.... Ya'll!

"Boy, you got a real purdy mouth..." :o

S

As they say, "What happens at Dollywood, stays at Dollywood." It's the stuff that happens at Coon Tiki that goes home with you.

This is as good a place as any to say it. I had been trying to get Bob and Leroy from Oceanic Arts to lead a Coon Tiki class next year, but they have declined. Their lives are just too busy and all these decades of carving have them less interested in stressing their wrists than ever. I might offer a trip out anyway, just to talk story and maybe they can relax their arms with some fishing instead.

I have not been interested in a Coon Tiki this summer or even in Fall. It's been so busy for me I have hardly carved a lick. But, we'll get a class together again soon enough. As always, drop me a line with your ideas.

Lee, great work. And you left a t-shirt in the cabin. It's been cluttering up my kitchen table since Coon Tiki. Come on over and pick it up sometime...

Great mask Lee, the details are just magnificent.

B

Very Well done TL. Better Late then Never. Folks, this man Never Gives Up!

S

Great stuff everyone. I feel like a complete idiot and am totally bummed. I was excited to see Coon Tiki coming in April and made plans to attend my first Tiki gathering, or something like that. I realized last night it took place in 2006 and not 2007! If it means anything, I'd love to see another one scheduled - I'm sure it takes a ton of work, but I'd love to help/attend. I'm just starting to carve and learn the old fashioned way of trial and error, so actually I wouldn't be much help. But, I hope something's coming up. Happy carving!

B

I haven't spoken with Swank for awhile, but last I heard we were planning to do another Coon Tiki this July maybe. Stay Tuned!
How many would be interested?

On 2007-01-25 17:28, Benzart wrote:
How many would be interested?

Assuming I can swing the cash, nothing could stop me from being there!

R

Great looking mask!!! Last weekend I started the same style mask and after just seeing yours here on T.C. I am super stoked to get back in the shop tonight to knock this thing out! Awesome work!

S

I'd be in for Coon Tiki in July!

T

On 2007-01-25 15:55, sunrise wrote:
Great stuff everyone. I feel like a complete idiot and am totally bummed. I was excited to see Coon Tiki coming in April and made plans to attend my first Tiki gathering, or something like that. I realized last night it took place in 2006 and not 2007! If it means anything, I'd love to see another one scheduled - I'm sure it takes a ton of work, but I'd love to help/attend. I'm just starting to carve and learn the old fashioned way of trial and error, so actually I wouldn't be much help. But, I hope something's coming up. Happy carving!

To all carvers out there (You too Tama and Paipo!),

Don't feel like a complete idiot anymore! Don't feel bummed anymore!

Take it from me! If this event happens - do not miss it. I went to 2006 CoonTiki and I want to register asap (and steal a spot!) - but I'll wait until others had a chance. If there's any openings later though, I'm gonna scarf one up. This kind of stuff just doesn't happen every day.

gap

I would so be interested. Even if I gotta bring a tent and camp out to save a few bucks.

S

Oy. I had talked to Ben abou tdoing it again and now I am in the middle of renovating our new house and everything is on hold.

I do want to do it again and I know Ben is up for it and BK will show up regardless. We have rethought the whole thing and come up with a game plan to make it better for everyone.

When it will happen... We'll see.

End of July, early August, the Haole Kats will be down the road in Crossville, TN and I have talked to them about playing a gig in Knoxville on Friday and my luau on Saturday. With all this house stuff going on, there may not be a possibility of my doing a luau this year. That would make it very cool to have them on hand at Coon Tiki and see what we can put together that way.

Join the mailing list and bug me about it. We will be moved into the house end of February we hope and get more settled in and ready to think about such things.

The big thing is that the new plan for the event means it will be a lot less time consuming on my part so that it can happen easier.

B

HappyHappyHappy, HappyHappyHappy, This sounds Better and Better, A Truly Memorable event.

Pages: 1 43 replies