Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement of Hukilau 2006!

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

I am so pleased to officially announce Hukilau 2006! I am also so proud to welcome my co-Producer this year Mr. Casey Jones!!! He has been so dedicated to the event for 3 solid years that he of course is an obvious choice!

This year’s Hukilau is very special — we are celebrating both the Hukilau’s fifth year, and also 50 amazing years of the legendary Mai-Kai in Ft. Lauderdale! The party will span four days, from Thursday, October 5 through Sunday, October 8, 2006.

Festivities include:

*Special musical performance by Billy Mure & APE, together on one stage
*Italy’s I Belli di Waikiki & their alter ego Los Terribles de Tijuana
*Special presentations by Tiki luminaries such as The Book of Tiki author Sven Kirsten and Grog Log author Jeff “Beachbum” Berry
*A Tiki Bazaar full of fantastic vendors
*A special exhibit showcasing never-before-seen photos and memorabilia from the Mai-Kai’s archives
*Of course, a magical evening spent at the Mai-Kai itself
*.......and so much more, it’ll make your head spin!
*And for the big surprise, stay for Sunday - you won't want to miss it (TBA)!!

*****Plus get ready for the Official Hukilau 2006 Tiki mug by Munktiki!!!!

To get all the details about this exciting event check out the website for yourself at...

The Hukilau

Vendors should sign up very very soon as we have extremely limited space this year in order to offer the best merchandise to all of our guests!

We can’t wait to see you this October in Ft. Lauderdale!

And my overwhelming thanks to Humuhumu - you are one in a million!!!!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 7:41 PM

HUKI HUKI HUKI LAU!!!!

great site.

Barnboof Ben, meet you in the Cabana pool at 4am on Wednesday.

J

Looks like this will be one awesome event. The site looks great and was well worth the wait.

See everyone in October!!! Aloha

F

I am so there!! I'm not sure if I completely understand how the tickets work. Will the Aloha Pass get you everywhere, Thurs-Sat, except the seminars, or is the Mai Kai show a different ticket altogether?

I can't wait! :drink: :D

H

On 2006-06-01 20:00, finkdaddy wrote:
I am so there!! I'm not sure if I completely understand how the tickets work. Will the Aloha Pass get you everywhere, Thurs-Sat, except the seminars, or is the Mai Kai show a different ticket altogether?

I can't wait! :drink: :D

I hope Kiliki won't mind my answering on her behalf... she had a long day today!

You're exactly right on the Aloha Pass -- it's a weekend pass, and the seminar tickets are purchased separately. You can buy a weekend pass with seminar tickets as the Big Kahuna pass.

No ticket is required for the Mai Kai, you just have to call the Mai Kai and make dinner reservations for that night.

Hope that helps!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-06-01 20:12 ]

Safari problem solved... :blush:

Reset and cache cleared... bingo! Website works!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-06-01 21:11 ]

SWEET!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 9:00 PM

Thank you, tiki_kiliki...I was just wondering when my trip to the mai kai should occur.

Kiliki! Awesome! Simply Awesome!
Your lineup of Co-Producer, Coordinators and Designer is fantastic! All really great people that I'm sure will give you 1000%!

I will be there, no if's, and's or but's! I can't wait to see everyone and also to see what Munktiki's got in store for the mug!

On 2006-06-01 18:22, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I am so pleased to officially announce Hukilau 2006!

Excellent! I'm booking our stuff. One item to note: I tried to purchase four tickets, but the pull-down only permits two to be purchased. Will I need to create two separate login ids to handle booking four people?

-adrian

Mobiletikibar - contact Casey Jones, he's my co-Producer and can assist you with purchases of 2 or more tickets. His email address is located on the Hukilau website - see you in October!

Is Robert Drasnin out this year? --or will he be a last-minute surprise?

C

Thanks for asking about Robert Drasnin!

The Hukliau 2005s presentation of Robert Drasnin was a ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT. It was highly, highly unusual for Mr. Drasnin to perform at all. Mr. Drasnin's performance is an example of why The Hukilau is so special and why The Hukilau is an annual must-do. The line-up changes from year-to-year and we consistently offer "first and only" or "once in a lifetime" entertainment and/or attractions.

Mahalo!

T

This year the "once and only" looks to be APE with Billy Mure. Maybe next year it could be Fisherman with another icon from the past!

P

Billy Mure confided in me that he was afraid of Crazy Al and asked to be kept away from him.

Come to think of, I'm a little afraid of him too after watching him assault King Kukulele last year.

I'm kidding of course, this show will be monumental.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-06-02 11:55 ]

When I was a kid, I'd count down every year until Christmas.

Now, it's HUKILAU!
126 days 'til Hukilau!!!!!!!!!!

:music: Hukilau, Hukilau!
Huki all the way!
Oh what fun it is to stay
Up-All night on the bay-AY!

:music: Hukilau, Hukilau!
Huki all the way!
With I Belli Di Waikiki
And the hottiest Kili-KI!!

HU HU HU!
MER-RY Hukilau, children!!

Shaka Y'all!

Save da earz & kurlyQ on da grindz Kalua porker… Traveling Jones to be flipp’n sand at da Hukilau!
...it's my first time, please be gentle.

:tiki: :drink: :tiki:

Flippity- fLip - fl0pping - flipPp!!!...

T
thejab posted on Fri, Jun 2, 2006 2:29 PM

Booked! I don't know how I'm going to get up by noon on Saturday to go to Beachbum's seminar after partying all night but I'm sure going to try!

F

Excellent, my plane ticket is booked! Looks like I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale early on Thursday, but can only stay until Sunday morning.

I'm coming down by myself, so if anybody wants to split the cost of a hotel room or has an extra patch of floor, please let me know. :)

Mahalo!!

J
JTD posted on Fri, Jun 2, 2006 6:48 PM

Kiliki - Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. Can't wait!

Finkdaddy -check your pm's
Formika - See ya there!

Woohoo!!!

My sweet Princess Kukana and I were talking just a few hours ago about how we couldn't wait for the info to start coming in. I guess I should've checked my email this morning.

Humuhumu! That is one great lookin', fast loadin' and impressively functional website! Mahalo!

I am SO counting the days!

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic 2006-06-02 20:52 ]

Good news!
I have the suite at Bahia Cabana again on Friday, for a party until the sun rises.
Musicians, bring your instruments and vibes!
This will be even better than last year.
HUKILAU!

F

On 2006-06-03 12:40, Unga Bunga wrote:

Good news!
I have the suite at Bahia Cabana again on Friday, for a party until the sun rises.
HUKILAU!

I would love to be there Unga. Got room for a uke from Milwaukee?

I noticed on the website that for the Mai Kai show it says, "No Hukilau ticket required; drinks, dinner & show are purchased a la carte"

Does this mean that you have to pay for the show separately from the rest of the Hukilau stuff?

U

On 2006-06-03 12:40, Unga Bunga wrote:

Good news!
HUKILAU!

I just booked at the Cabana today too and will be bringing my uke. Nothing I'd like to do more than strum drunken with a bunch of drunken strummers after the big party at the Bahia Mar. Any steel players coming?

Ukelare, I'm so glad you and Bliss are going to make it down this year. Can't wait to see both of you again.

TJ from the Haole cats is a steel player. We'll have to get in on their post event plans.
:wink: 8)

JTD, I'm buying you the biggest Mai Tai the bar can muster up! You definitely deserve to have a few 'on da house' with what you went through a few Hukilau's ago!

See you there!

HK

Ukulare -- Liz is right TJ (kanekila) is a steel player. I'm sure we'll get a chance to do some jammin'.

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

K

How exciting is this........reservations made for Hukilau 2006! Congrats to Tiki Kiliki productions for putting together one fine schedule of events. An amazing spectrum of tiki history and talent. Every year I don't know what I look forward to the most.....meeting people, seeing old friends, or learning more about this tiki culture that I love so much. Looks like this year is going to be no different. Can't wait for the events to begin............

Karbora

M

Yahoo! Tikimama and I are booked! How exciting to get to the other coast :)

So when are you moving Hukilau to San Diego? You know all the coolest partys are moving here...

freddiefreelance - no plans to move Hukilau at all. We're happy here in Fort Lauderdale!

I just wanted to give everyone another chance to hurry and purchase either the Big Kahuna passes (which includes all 4 seminars) or if you choose the Aloha pass then you can always select whichever seminar you’d like to attend. We are now at half capacity for all seminars and you might risk missing one of these historical presentations if you don’t act now!

On 2006-06-05 09:48, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I just wanted to give everyone another chance to hurry and purchase either the Big Kahuna passes (which includes all 4 seminars) or if you choose the Aloha pass then you can always select whichever seminar you’d like to attend. We are now at half capacity for all seminars and you might risk missing one of these historical presentations if you don’t act now!

Can vendors pop into one of these seminars while their better half might be watching their booth? Wondering if the vendor Aloha passes included this? Would this be based on if there were any openings in the seminar and if so can a vendor make a reservation to attend a certain seminar?

On 2006-06-05 10:14, Lake Surfer wrote:

Can vendors pop into one of these seminars while their better half might be watching their booth? Wondering if the vendor Aloha passes included this? Would this be based on if there were any openings in the seminar and if so can a vendor make a reservation to attend a certain seminar?

Lake Surfer - Aloha passes are designed so that attendees can choose the seminars they'd like to attend. If you would like to see one of these presentations then you must purchase a separate ticket - you can do that on the site anytime but the sooner the better.

H

Hanford and I are all booked, and we're staying at the Yankee Clipper! I'm really excited that the Yankee Clipper is the main hotel this year, the location couldn't be more perfect, with the Wreck Bar, the beach and the Bahia Cabana all practically within arm's reach. Plus, full-size ironing boards!

Thanks so much for all the kind words about the Hukilau website -- it was a lot of fun to work on. How is the To Do List working out for everybody? My hope was that by giving you an easy way to see the steps, check them off when you're done, and keep a few notes of your own (and let you see it all at-a-glance from every page on the Hukilau website) it would make the whole thing a breeze -- has it been helpful?

A

Don't make the bonehead mistake that I did and had to correct. you need at least an Aloha pass to purhcase the Munktiki mug. Don't get the day passes.
Move to San Diego? Sure, move all the tiki events to CA.
Not!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 1:34 PM

The note pad is the perfect place to keep your confirmation number for the hotel. Good thinking Humu!

[ Edited by: jeff central 2006-06-06 19:45 ]

J

Humuhumu the checklist worked out great for me and worked seamlessly. Only one check left on my list - the Mai Kai reservation. Can't forget that one!

And please don't move the HKL to CA! Us right coasters need to keep at least one big tiki event close to home. Let's move it to Saugus MA - the home of the Kowloon! Trust me that was a joke. Keep it in FL.

Hukilau's home is the Mai Kai - trust me, we aren't movin' anywhere!

On 2006-06-05 13:17, Humuhumu wrote:

Thanks so much for all the kind words about the Hukilau website -- it was a lot of fun to work on.

The website is excellent, very well organized, easily to click through and read up on all the details. :)

ps- PM sent.

-adrian

All booked and ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humuhumu, the website was a breeze to work with. I like the checklist idea and the note pad. Very easy to use and ALL the links worked flawlessly.

Tiki Kiliki, Casey and James have cooked up another spectacular weekend!!

Any clue as to what Sunday has in store for everyone?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

G

Booked!! A Hukilau virgin no more! We wrestled with the problem of what to do with our kids. After talking to Tiki Kiliki, she talked us into bringing them. So, they'll get the chance to get all dressed up for the ball! Gonna have to behave myself though. No after-parties I guess. :( Is anyone else bringing their kids? Maybe we can pool together for a babysitter or at least just get the kids together.

Humu, great job on the web site! I know how much work it takes to put these together and you did an awesome job. I particularly like the checklist and the notes section. We used them both. Only problems I had were related to the ticket ordering site. It tossed me a "some parts of this page are not secure" message. So, my credit card transaction was not secure.

All Booked (save my airline ticket)!!
Once again, a Cabana girl :)
Love the the notes-to-self box, ladies. Very helpful to keep all the booking info in one place.

I can't waaaaiiiit!!!!!!
F

I

I am also all booked and ticketed, and my current excitement level almost has me packing my suitcase, 4 months before my actual departure date.

Vern

It will be really good to see you again Vern. Four months will go by FAST!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

TB

We're in!!!!!!!!! All reservations booked and tickets purchased. Little Miss Martini will be there too because Yankee Clipper accepts pets, YEAH!!!! I'm really looking forward to Jeff's and Geoff's presentations.

Humuhumu, love the check list and note pad., it's a great addition to the site.

so, what's in store for Sunday?

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies