Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement of Hukilau 2006!

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 6:47 PM

Booked, booked & booked.

Sunday will be announced very soon!! I'll be informing everyone after I return from London.

Bree - good to hear that you and Tristan are joining us and of course Martini!!!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-06-06 18:48 ]

K

That is so Tiki Kiliki.......looking out for everyone including the pets!! Glad to hear Martini will be on location :) TK, I hope you have a fantastic time at the London Luau..

Karbora

C

Fellow TCers!

We're keeping our eyes open for air fare sales and deals, for you to get to The Hukilau 2006. Here's one that just started today and is good through November 15! Cut and paste the url.

$49-$99 -- Ft. Lauderdale from 9 Cities
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?ld=100243398
Source: Spirit Airlines

C

Aloha and Heads Up!

There are now just 20 of the Big Kahuna Passes remaining for The Hukilau 2006. These are the deeply discounted passes which give you complete access throughout the weekend (the Mai-Kai is still a separate, stand-alone event).

If you miss out on the Big Kahuna, you can still purchase the Aloha Pass, and buy seminar tickets (if available) separately.

Beachbum Berry's Mixology Seminar is almost sold-out!

Mahalo!

booked flight and hotel
figuring on passes as will not get there til Friday afternoon (so we'll see whats best maybe a day pass for Friday and 1 for Saturday plus Witco lecture) - Plannin on first show Mai Kai and stayin late. Stop by the Ocean Manor Beach (Orbitz.com hotel - they have good flights too) and check out their tiki bar and Freddie Ballsomic - oh yeah I'll be there too!

How many months? 4?
Go APE!

U

I see some have booked the Clipper and some have booked the Cabana. Where's the REAL party people staying? I want to drink and jam all night! I'm betting on the Cabana and I'm booked already. TK, Humu, I Dream Of, Tikilish, and all you TC Vets: where are you staying?

Well myself, I'm staying at the Clipper because I enjoy my beauty sleep! But, you have the right idea, the Cabana is most definitely the late night after party spot.

Most of this years events will be held at the Clipper but the Cabana is a favorite for lunch and dinner daily!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-06-08 01:51 ]

C

Right-O, Ukulare!

The historic Yankee Clipper is a member of Starwood Hotels, and thus, just "slightly" more sophisticated than the Days Inn Bahia Cabana. I think the wooden benches and tables at the Cabana are designed to take a little more of that spring break ruff-and-tumble that has made Ft. Lauderale such a memorable destination for so many.

Mahalo!

H

The Clipper & the Cabana are right next to each other, so it doesn't really matter -- as a matter of fact, the Cabana actually has many of its rooms in two satellite buildings across the street from the main building, so many who will be staying "at" the Cabana will in reality be about as far/near as the Clipper. I have every intention of being at the parties into the very wee, wee hours, but I'll be stumbling home to the Clipper across the street. Those full-size ironing boards are seriously a major attraction for me.

ST

Booked and Ready!

[ Edited by: Swamp Tiki 2006-06-08 09:36 ]

J

Hi all - in the interest of finding cheap airfare I thought I'd share my source for usually finding the best rates:
http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/

You can't buy tickets through this site but it usually finds better deals than Expedia etc... Just find the flight there and head over to the airlines site and you should see the rate quoted. It pointed me over to Spirit last week and I pulled down RT NS tickets from Providence to Fort Lauderdale for a total of $171 (and I got the exact times I wanted too). Not too shabby.

TB

On 2006-06-06 20:59, Karbora wrote: Glad to hear Martini will be on location :)
Karbora

Miss Martini is looking forward to seeing you again, Karbora. She said you give good hug!!

Hey Vern,
what did you think of the gator pics???

D

Any word on a record swap this year?

S

My wahine & I are downright giddy with anticipation for our first Hukilau!
Big Kahuna passes & a room at the Clipper (and it's FREE with Starwood points!!!)!
Woo-hoo!
Less than 4 months to go!

Scottiki
aka
Mr Moai Lounge

[ Edited by: Scottiki 2006-06-10 21:52 ]

S

We're in too, so the MD contingent will be well represented.

We're Big Kahunas, Room at the Clipper, first seating at the Mai Kai.

Serious props to everyone who made registration and the website soooooooo easy!

TB

On 2006-06-11 10:12, Sabina wrote:
We're in too,

Does this mean I'll finally get my Sabina fix??? Yea!!!!! I was really Jonesin' for a dose of your amazingness.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2006-06-13 06:25 ]

T

Southwest Airlines announced a fare sale today to/from Fort Lauderdale from all cities for travel through Oct 27. Must book by Thursday, June 15th, at midnight. Sample one-way fares:

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
$104 one-way, to/from Albany, NY
$124 one-way, to/from Albuquerque, NM
$104 one-way, to/from Austin, TX
$94 one-way, to/from Baltimore, MD (BWI)
$94 one-way, to/from Birmingham, AL
$104 one-way, to/from Buffalo, NY
$134 one-way, to/from Burbank, CA
$99 one-way, to/from Chicago Midway, IL
$104 one-way, to/from Cleveland, OH
$94 one-way, to/from Columbus, OH
$104 one-way, to/from Corpus Christi, TX
$124 one-way, to/from Denver, CO
$104 one-way, to/from Detroit, MI
$124 one-way, to/from El Paso, TX
$104 one-way, to/from Harlingen, TX
$104 one-way, to/from Hartford, CT (BDL)
$94 one-way, to/from Houston Hobby, TX
$104 one-way, to/from Indianapolis, IN
$94 one-way, to/from Jackson, MS
$44 one-way, to/from Jacksonville, FL
$104 one-way, to/from Kansas City, MO
$134 one-way, to/from Las Vegas, NV
$104 one-way, to/from Long Island/Islip, NY
$134 one-way, to/from Los Angeles, CA
$94 one-way, to/from Louisville, KY
$114 one-way, to/from Manchester, NH
$94 one-way, to/from Nashville, TN
$94 one-way, to/from New Orleans, LA
$94 one-way, to/from Norfolk, VA
$134 one-way, to/from Oakland, CA
$104 one-way, to/from Oklahoma City, OK
$114 one-way, to/from Omaha, NE
$134 one-way, to/from Ontario, CA
$44 one-way, to/from Orlando, FL
$94 one-way, to/from Philadelphia, PA
$124 one-way, to/from Phoenix, AZ
$94 one-way, to/from Pittsburgh, PA
$134 one-way, to/from Portland, OR
$104 one-way, to/from Providence, RI
$94 one-way, to/from Raleigh-Durham, NC
$134 one-way, to/from Sacramento, CA
$134 one-way, to/from Salt Lake City, UT
$104 one-way, to/from San Antonio, TX
$134 one-way, to/from San Diego, CA
$134 one-way, to/from San Jose, CA
$79 one-way, to/from St. Louis, MO
$44 one-way, to/from Tampa Bay, FL
$104 one-way, to/from Tulsa, OK

More info:
http://www.southwest.com/jp/hotfares3.shtml?src=et061306

Our hotel rooms are booked, vacation days from work planned, mai kai reservations taken care of, and we'll be booking our aloha passes soon. There should be four or six of us, we're all really looking forward to a great time meeting everyone.

-adrian
http://www.adriansullivan.com

The Monkey skull is in the Clipper.

A

Just to doublecheck, I guess the seminars from the other Jeff (exotica) and Geoff (Florida) are sold out now too?

-Randy

Randy,

If you click on the PURCHASE TICKETS link you will be able to see what is still available. Let me know if you should have any other questions!

It took a whole lot of prearranging, but I have been able to work out my schedule. Hukilau 06', here I come! Unfortunately, the sandz man is going it alone. My beautiful wahine and super keiki kane (son), have prior commitments. It is going to be great to meet up again w/fellow acquaintences from Chicago Exotica 05'. JTD, Formikahini, Vern, finkdaddy, and any or all of the remaining Maryland posse! Hope to meet many more T.C. ohana from coast to coast!
A special mention goes out to Humuhumu, for her fantastic layout of the Hukilau website! Very easy to navigate! And of course a huge mahalo, to tiki kiliki and co-producer Mr. Casey Jones (and everyone else behind the scenes) for putting together this incredible 5th year celebration!

Yee-Hawwwwwwwwww! (couldn't resist) :wink:

blacksandz Travel Guidebook:

Plane Ticket: Book(ed) em' Dano!
Aloha Pass: Check!
Mai-Kai: Reserved (of course!) Early Dinner Show!
Mai-Kai Shuttle: Driver knows the way! (No need to bail out JTD!). :lol:
Hotel: Bahia Cabana (no sleep for the wicked!). :wink:
Mucho Denero: Ceno (just kiddin'). :lol:

Can't wait!!! :D :drink:

J
JTD posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 6:22 PM

Blacksandz,
Finkdaddy and I are splitting a room at the Cabana. Can't wait to catch up with you. Funny you should mention the shuttle. It was the first thing I signed up for :)

-JTD

Surf's up!

Vendors with a toe in the water (bottom of the page):
http://www.thehukilau.com/blog/the-vendors/

I know there are reproduction Mai-Kai Mystery Bowls, however, let's see:

Hukilau 06' + Mai-Kai 50th =

Original Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl!

Reproduction?

One can dream... :D

Just to let everyone know:

The Bahia Cabana is almost sold out. What I mean by this is there is less than 10 rooms before selling out. If you haven't yet made your reservations then do so now before it's too late!! We've never sold out the Cabana this early in the game so this shows how big this Hukilau promises to be and more!!!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jul 7, 2006 6:46 AM

On 2006-07-06 20:02, blacksandz wrote:
Surf's up!

Vendors with a toe in the water (bottom of the page):
http://www.thehukilau.com/blog/the-vendors/

I know there are reproduction Mai-Kai Mystery Bowls, however, let's see:

Hukilau 06' + Mai-Kai 50th =

Original Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl!

Reproduction?

One can dream... :D

There is only one of those bowls in existense as far as I know. There is one more collector who may have one, but I am not sure. They have offered to let the Mai Kai use their bowl to do a recreation of that very first one if they want to. I do not know that they are at this point. I would love to have one for sure.

T

I just called the Bahia and there were only TWO rooms left! One smoking, one non. I took the non, so if anyone wants to stay there call NOW NOW NOW!

I think I got the last Big Kahuna pass! This will be my third Hukilau.

Each year we try and coerce another couple to the scene so we can propagate the tiki species. This year I would like to try and enrich myself and meet more people. I will admit that it can be intimidating in that some of the circles seem tight and have a long history. I am hitting the forums more and will attempt to be interesting enough to warrant a Howdy. Thanks Tiki Kiliki, if you need any help Th. or Fri. at Hukilau you need only ask.
I hope to meet some of you at the SF Crawl, I'll be the guy with a camera and the Italian sidekick.

The Bahia Cabana informed me today that are now sold out for Hukilau 2006. The entire hotel is to be taken over by all Hukilau attendees! That's right, every room at the Bahia Cabana, even their satellite buildings across the street are filled with our group. Should be a good time!

Of course, rooms are still available at the Yankee Clipper but we are close to selling out. There's nothing like being at one of the host hotels so BOOK NOW and be a part of the weekend!

And for those who have not yet attended Hukilau, the Yankee Clipper and the Bahia Cabana are just across the street from one another so you can stumble back to your room after visiting with someone or attending one of the many after parties at 4am.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-07-16 07:57 ]

P
Pyro posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2006 7:47 PM

Just bought my tix. I tried to go last year, but had to work. THis year the hubby and I will actually make it (saturday only).

WooHooo, got my tickets today! And fyi if you have military discount try it out at the yankee clipper, get good discount:D

The Mai Kai informed me today that the 1st Dinner Show has now been closed for reservations. They only have a little over 50 seats remaining for the 2nd show and we will not be booking a 3rd so that we may bring you a special performance that will be announced very soon!

Make your reservations today by calling 954-563-3272

Oh wow! How time flies! Why didn't anybody tell me that it's August ALREADY?!?! When did THIS HAPPEN?!?!? hehe!

We are bummed to miss out on the first show, but that's what we get for loosing track of time and waiting too long to reserve our spots. Sorry TK!

We will call tomorrow and reserve our spots for the second show ASAP. Thank you for the friendly reminder! As you know, I'm a little slow and need lots of remindin'. :wink:

Love you!

XOXO,
Lenore (and Stev too!)

60 days to go (and counting)... :o

Yeeeee-Hawwwwwwwwwwww!!!

We're ready, everything is booked!! Can't wait for October to arrive!

-adrian

B
bungy posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 12:19 PM

RE: The Hukilau 2006 poster. She has on the hula skirt I was given in 1955, by a Tahitain family in Tahiti, when I was crewing aboard the 134' Te Vega and we were pulling out of the harbor on our way to Moorea!! How dare her!! I should look so good!!! "Those were the days , my friends,....! Auntie B

G

On 2006-08-09 12:19, bungy wrote:
RE: The Hukilau 2006 poster. She has on the hula skirt I was given in 1955, by a Tahitain family in Tahiti, when I was crewing aboard the 134' Te Vega and we were pulling out of the harbor on our way to Moorea!! How dare her!! I should look so good!!! "Those were the days , my friends,....! Auntie B

Another fantastic story! In case you haven't seen the undoctored photo that poster comes from Auntie B, here 'tis...

hum-a-nuh, hum-a-nuh!

Aloha!

We are almost SOLD OUT once again for the 2nd Beachbum Berry seminar on Sunday, October 8, 2006. Only 20 tickets remain for this encore class that will uncover secrets and fine tune the art of Mixology! For a full description on this seminar, check out Jeff "Beachbum" Berry's bio under Special Guests on the Hukilau website!

Start the Hukilau weekend off as we celebrate in South American style! For one night only, we will transform the Bahia Cabana into the Bahia Cantina for a Tiki Fiesta Extravaganza! Los Terribles De Tijuana ( I Belli Di Waikiki's alter ego) will take the stage with Pep Torres from Hollywood, CA (pictured below). Selector Lopaka will provide some CHA-CHA-CHA tunes between sets for us to mambo, salsa and limbo to! Hukilau will provide the maracas and enough madness for everyone. Don't miss the Tiki pinata poolside!

Just 5 weeks to go to the largest Tiki event on the East Coast! Plus - Munktiki mug to begin pre-sells VERY SOON - check the website for the preview!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki
http://www.TheHukilau.com

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-08-28 17:06 ]

Every year something very special happens to make Hukilau a memorable event. This year some might find it's one of our many historic seminars, the LIVE Tiki Carving on Fort Lauderdale Beach or the Beach Bum Berry Mixology Seminars. For some, it might be the appearance of an exotic mermaid that will once again dance in the waters at the Yankee Clipper!

When the Yankee Clipper first opened in 1956, mermaids were employed and swam at scheduled times during the day to be viewed through the porthole windows in the Wreck Bar on the ground level while hipsters and tourists of the day sipped on cocktails. Hukilau will make history as the first time since 1962, a mermaid can once again be seen through those same windows on Friday, October 6, 2006 at 5:00pm sharp. The mermaid is just as special as the event itself, a Hukilau veteran - Bre-elle Ishtar. Some of you might remember Bre-elle as one of our event coordinators in 2003 along with her most talented husband Tristan. Come and enjoy this historic event!

Here's a picture of Bre-elle in the costume she will wear in October:

Just 4 short weeks away to the Tiki event of the year!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-09-06 10:20 ]

LIVE Tiki Carving to Showcase America’s Top Carvers!!
An update on our Hukilau 2006 Live Tiki Carving Demonstration: Word has gotten out and apparently we now have an all-star who’s who free-for-all of some of the country’s favorite Tiki carvers showing up for the 2 hour-or-so demo on Fort Lauderdale Beach on the deck behind the Yankee Clipper!

None other than Danny “Diablo” Gallardo, Basement Kahuna, Ken “Keigs” Pleasant (the new Witco master!), Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al Evans, Lake Surfer, and now Mr. Wayne Coombs & Benzart (in attendance but won’t be carving - that’s what they say anyway!) will each be giving it a few minutes on the tiki! Any time you get these guys together it’s a blast, and multiplied tenfold when it’s on Fort Lauderdale Beach! So if you’re into tiki carving and want to meet some of the best in America and capture a rare moment in time, they’ll be there!

Live Tiki Carving to take place beachside on the new Yankee Clipper deck from 3:00pm - 5:00pm Friday October 6, 2006! Don’t miss it!

Lake Surfer,

Thanks for posting this on Tiki Central as well. Haven't checked yet but I believe BK posted this in the Carving Forum but the more the merrier!!

Looking forward to seeing you at Hukilau 2006!

On 2006-09-06 10:19, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Every year something very special happens to make Hukilau a memorable event. This year some might find it's one of our many historic seminars, the LIVE Tiki Carving on Fort Lauderdale Beach or the Beach Bum Berry Mixology Seminars. For some, it might be the appearance of an exotic mermaid that will once again dance in the waters at the Yankee Clipper!

When the Yankee Clipper first opened in 1956, mermaids were employed and swam at scheduled times during the day to be viewed through the porthole windows in the Wreck Bar on the ground level while hipsters and tourists of the day sipped on cocktails. Hukilau will make history as the first time since 1962, a mermaid can once again be seen through those same windows on Friday, October 6, 2006 at 5:00pm sharp. The mermaid is just as special as the event itself, a Hukilau veteran - Bre-elle Ishtar. Some of you might remember Bre-elle as one of our event coordinators in 2003 along with her most talented husband Tristan. Come and enjoy this historic event!

Here's a picture of Bre-elle in the costume she will wear in October:

Just 4 short weeks away to the Tiki event of the year!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-09-06 10:20 ]

That is so.................AWESOME!!!!

Bree looks absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!

Four more weeks from today!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I

Bre-elle as a mermaid -- Fantastic!

Hukilau has come a long way from its early years. Back in 2003, I was in the Wreck Bar late one evening with others, waiting for the mermaids to appear, but this arrived instead.

Fortunately, the bar was well stocked, and our temptations were soon directed towards the drinks rather than the sea creature behind the porthole window.

Vern

I

Since we are talking about the Wreck Bar, I thought I would share with you this record LP I purchased in Pittsburgh last month - 'The Unpredictable Bonnie Anderson Wrecks 'The Wreck ' - recorded live at the Wreck Bar at the Yankee Clipper hotel - site of Hukilau and live mermaid appearances! (a search on Tiki Central shows that JonPez and TraderPup own this LP too!)

This is mainly a comedy album, with many risque jokes and songs - although Bonnie does sing the Hukilau song! To make the LP even better, it was personally autographed by Bonnie on Feb 28, 1978

Here are some closeups of the front cover, and a photo of the Yankee Clipper from the back cover.

Less than a month to Hukialu .... let the fun times continue!

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-09-07 20:35 ]

K

What are the chances that a Florida local (who looks like Breelle!) would just happen to have a very glam mermaid costume. Not to mention that she is a tikiphile from way back. Here's to the 50th! I will be there at 5pm to share in this special tribute............

Karbora

I remeber that night and have had nightmares ever since!!!

The curse of Big Al Jones Locker!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies